jwoods

GWX Control Panel version 1.7.0.1 released today

Notes on the release...

December 29, 2015: GWX Control Panel version 1.7 is now live. It is packed with new features and usability improvements which you can learn about at the brand-new version 1.7 user guide. The "GWX Control Panel Release Notes" section of this post contains a detailed list of all new features and improvements as well. If you're reading this it means I haven't updated the user manual portion of this post yet, so please refer to the release notes and the version 1.7 user guide while I get around to updating the rest of the supporting documentation.

Download version 1.7 -

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

User Guide for version 1.7 -

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ser-guide.html
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-29 at 20:53. Reason: Added link to new version 1.7 User Guide

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-30),Fascist Nation (2015-12-30),MartinM (2015-12-30)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I moved this from the Windows 10 forum as it is more appropriate for Windows 7 than Windows 10.

Joe

Thanks
    I downloaded and installed this version last night. I had previously installed GWX Control Panel, but I couldn't find it anywhere on my computer - it was as if it had disappeared from my computer.

The current version found some Windows 10 install files and the Windows 10 folder. I told it to delete all of that, and to block any attempts to upgrade to Windows 10.

(My computer has Windows 8.1 64-bit.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    ....I had previously installed GWX Control Panel, but I couldn't find it anywhere on my computer - it was as if it had disappeared from my computer....
    Type gwx in the run box. Otherwise, I too can't find it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-12-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I could install and find the prior version, but it disappeared after the first click. This one works like a charm.

Zig

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1.7.0.2 now.

cheers, Paul

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Type gwx in the run box. Otherwise, I too can't find it.
    In IE11 and Firefox 43, it downloads to the defaullt download location I have configured for each browser.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone having problems running a regular update on Win7 after installing GWX?

I put it on two machines this month prior to running my month end updates and in both cases, it seems to have messed up updates. I had to run the MS Update Troubleshooter and even then the update took quite a bit of time just to find updates. Very odd.

Addendum: There are a couple thing happening here. One is that the newest GWX seems to do something that Windows update doesn't like - or at least it did on my machines. Running the FixIt tool did fix something that allowed the update to run.

Second, GWX install seemed to have cleared the Windows cache by itself. When this happens, Update first has to rebuild some kind of file(s) that tell it what has been done and compare that against what's pending. One one of my computers, that took well over 30min.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-12-31 at 10:17.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Anyone having problems running a regular update on Win7 after installing GWX?

I put it on two machines this month prior to running my month end updates and in both cases, it seems to have messed up updates. I had to run the MS Update Troubleshooter and even then the update took quite a bit of time just to find updates. Very odd.

Addendum: There are a couple thing happening here. One is that the newest GWX seems to do something that Windows update doesn't like - or at least it did on my machines. Running the FixIt tool did fix something that allowed the update to run.

Second, GWX install seemed to have cleared the Windows cache by itself. When this happens, Update first has to rebuild some kind of file(s) that tell it what has been done and compare that against what's pending. One one of my computers, that took well over 30min.
    I haven't experienced any issues on my Windows 7 systems with GWX Control Panel.

There was a recent MS patch (KB 3112343) that addressed Windows Update slowness.

GWX CP has an option to clear WU cache, but I've never experienced it doing that on its own.

GWX Control Panel.jpg
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-31 at 15:33. Reason: Added KB number.