Banned Member
    Thanks

How I upgraded to W10 with media creation tool!

Hi! How about using the media creation tool to up grade to W10. That is how I up graded my PC.
    I down loaded the media creation tool to a flash drive. I was told this method would work if I didn't want to wait for the up date. Once the media creation tool was created, I plugged in the flash drive. Clicked on Reset and W10 installed perfectly. I was not asked for a key. I didn't have to change my boot order to boot to USB, and the install up grade went great. I used this same flash and procedure to up grade 3 more PC's and all went great. It seems to me that people are making this hard when it's very simple. It took a little over 2 hours to complete the procedure. I'm going to start a thread with this and see if I can get some responses!
    Last edited by ruirib; 2015-12-30 at 06:27. Reason: Reply links deleted

jwoods
    There have been several threads here on using the Media Creation Tool.

This article by Paul Thurrott has been referenced frequently...

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...-the-right-way

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Capture48.JPGCapture49.JPG

Hi jwoods! Thanks for the link. I see members here that are having issues with up grading and I just don't understand why. Your link explains the Media Creation Tool, but not how to use it. No need to boot to it. Just open the flash and click on Reset. My attachment shows that. Just click on Reset. I don't understand users that never create a Media Creation Tool. Never create a back up image. Never make a repair CD. Never make a Recovery Drive and then find themselves with a PC that won't boot. I assure you I have all of the above and also several images made with a 3rd party program. As your link mentions " Windows 10 Tip: Create Windows 10 Setup Media the Right Way" I think I have all my bases covered and hope I can get others to do the same!
    Thanks for your link my friend!
    PS Sorry for preaching. I just want users to know these things that can save them a lot of grief!
    Last edited by holdum333; 2015-12-30 at 01:00.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    I see members here that are having issues with up grading and I just don't understand why...
    There is a link in the Thurrott article that takes you to the download, and the instructions for using the Media Creation tool.

There are many reasons why...

Incompatible software and hardware, lack of technical proficiency, MS-related upgrade glitches (well publicized), and on and on.

I wonder how many people actually saw the GWX Compatibility Report of potential issues before upgrading, since GWX was so annoying, a lot of people turned it off.

I also wonder how many people who were testing Windows 10 in the Insider Program were using virtual machines.

What seems straightforward to you, and to a lot of us, isn't for many home users (and some businesses as well).

They just want to use their computer to get stuff done, and don't want to worry about technical stuff until there is a problem.

It's an education issue, and it's part of the real world of technical support.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-30 at 01:11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2015-12-30)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Clicked on Reset and W10 installed perfectly.
    No need to boot to it. Just open the flash and click on Reset. My attachment shows that. Just click on Reset.
    Did you mean double-click Setup here, rather than click on Reset?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2015-12-30)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Did you mean double-click Setup here, rather than click on Reset?
    Yes sir I did! Thank you for finding that. The tool works great and I have used it on several PC's. None are having any trouble. Minor bugs. I can only think of a couple at the moment. One was Speecy wasn't installed ; but a reinstall, fixed that. I guess I'm missing the part in the Thurrott article that mentions Setup. I'll give it another read.
    Thanks for finding my mistake. It shows Setup in my attachment. I just messed up! I actually found the Setup feature while checking the files on the tool and clicked on it. I also have the repair CD and the rescue USB drive. They both work as well. I also have the ISO file if I ever want to burn a DVD. I prefer flash, but not all PC's give the option to boot to a USB.
    I hope this thread helps someone! This is a great forum and I'm learning new things here!
    Thank you!
    PS I wish I could get every PC user to create a back of their OS before doing these up grades. Even though MS is offering a roll back for thirty days, nothing beats having a back up image on a external drive. You might not be able to boot into windows. Old man Macrium Reflect has saved my screw ups many times.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! Have thoroughly read Thurrott! again! I do not see Setup mentioned any where in the article. Unless I'm not understanding the article, I see no reason to boot with the media creation tool. Just open the files on the flash and click on Setup??
    "The problem with the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool is that it formats USB-based Setup media with something called a MBR (Master Boot Record) partition. This type of disk works fine with BIOS-based PCs, meaning that you can select the USB flash drive using your PC’s boot menu and boot from that disk, initiating Setup. But these drives cannot boot on newer PCs that use UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) firmware. So the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, great as it was, needs to be retired from our collective toolboxes. (Unless you need to make DVD-based Setup media, I guess.)"
    Last edited by holdum333; 2015-12-30 at 13:17.

jwoods
    See this section in the Thurrott article...

Let Microsoft do it for you

The first and easiest way is to simply use Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool, which you download from the Download Windows 10 web site. (Get the version—32-bit or 64-bit—for the PC on which you will create the media.) In the first step of this wizard, you are asked if you would like to “Upgrade this PC now” or “Create installation media for another PC.” Choose the latter option.

The underlined phrase is a link (in the article) to the MCT, and the instructions on how to use it.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! I see what your saying. I'm saying you don't have to boot the flash to Setup W10.
    You just plug the flash that has the media tool on it into a port. Click on Setup and two hours later you have W10 and all your programs. Some newer PC's don't have the option to boot to a flash, so this is great and it works really well!
    I'm sorry but I don't know what you're trying to tell me. We agree on using the tool, but maybe not on how to use it.
    Thanks for your reply!

jwoods
    You had mentioned (several times)...

Your link explains the Media Creation Tool, but not how to use it.
    Hi! Have thoroughly read Thurrott! again! I do not see Setup mentioned any where in the article.
    I'm sorry but I don't know what you're trying to tell me.
    I was pointing out the location in the Thurrott article to the MCT, and the instructions on how to use it.

That's it.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! OK N/P. Thanks!