Star Lounger

errors in Word 2000 and Excel 2000 (2000 SR-1)

I recently added a new hard drive to my system. I loaded Windows 2000 from scratch and added Service Pack 2. I then re-installed Office 2000. Whenever I use Word or Excel, they work fine, but when I close them, I get a box telling me WORD.EXE has created errors and will be shut down. A log will be created. And then it shuts down. It's the same with Excel except it say EXCEL.EXE has created errors. Everything works fine after the program shuts down.
    I thought there might be a corrupted file in Office so I went to Microsoft Office site and downloaded the SR-1a upgrade hoping it would correct any corrupt files. It didn't make any difference. I can't find the log file the error message says it's creating so I don't know what it say.
    I'm using a Pentium IV at 1.4 ghz and I have 521 meg of RAM. There's nothing weird and wonderful running on the machine.
    Bruce Evans

Uranium Lounger
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Re: errors in Word 2000 and Excel 2000 (2000 SR-1)

Although the log file created by crashing applications in Windows 2000 contains a bunch of junk, it also may have a piece of information that will help. To find it easily, search your hard drive for DRWTSN32.LOG, which you can then copy to your desktop. The usual location for this log file in Windows 2000 (and XP) is %root%Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftDr Watson where "%root%" is the drive that Windows is installed to.

Have you tried uninstalling the service pack? Or re-installing it? In the olden days of Windows NT 4, you had to re-apply the service pack anytime you made a significant system change (and Office certainly qualifies). That's not the case anymore but then it never hurt to try either!