Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Now AVG is security threat?

From the BBC about AVG and Chrome.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't Chrome exclusively force users to go through Google Play (their store) for validated plug-ins?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Doesn't Chrome exclusively force users to go through Google Play (their store) for validated plug-ins?
    Your question is answered in the second-last paragraph of the equivalent The Register article.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I stopped using AVG this past year after years of being a loyal customer and recommend it. The reason is that it has gone way past what is required of an anti-virus and started trying to take over my browser(s) and sell me tune-up software I don't want. If it were a one-time issue at install that I could bypass, that would be one thing, but it kept popping up message about how well it was doing and didn't I want the addition features it could provide.

It's hard to remember how many years ago they merged with another company but that's when the problems started. And it just kept getting worse.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can uncheck or undo all of that crap by going to Options - Advanced Settings, and making it the way you want. I admit though that it is a yearly pita.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    However - This "Web Tuner" is a separate add on program that you can download separately right? Don't download it. I only use the main AVG Antivirus program and I'm still using the 2015 version. Have not had a problem with it (but I don't use Chrome either). My above comment is based on just the 2015 main program. Thought I'd better clarify that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    You can uncheck or undo all of that crap by going to Options - Advanced Settings, and making it the way you want. I admit though that it is a yearly pita.
    It's more than a yearly issue any more, or at least it was for me and I went through all the advanced settings. AVG had developed a tendency to periodically pop up these "What a good boy I am" as well as "Look at what else I could be doing for you" marketing messages. And yearly upgrades were a fight to keep it down to the minimum needed.

Part of that is the same thing that other companies are doing - you have a choice between anti-virus alone or a suite that seems to get it's hooks into everything. The old option of AV + Firewall is disappearing.

It may just be that a simple AV solution like Bitdefender Free along with Privatefirewall is the best option for tech folks who are less likely to do stupid things with their computers and don't need a Nagging Nanny.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-01-04 at 13:31.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    It's more than a yearly issue any more, or at least it was for me and I went through all the advanced settings. AVG had developed a tendency to periodically pop up these "What a good boy I am" as well as "Look at what else I could be doing for you" marketing messages. And yearly upgrades were a fight to keep it down to the minimum needed.

Part of that is the same thing that other companies are doing - you have a choice between anti-virus alone or a suite that seems to get it's hooks into everything. The old option of AV + Firewall is disappearing.

It may just be that a simple AV solution like Bitdefender Free along with Privatefirewall is the best option for tech folks who are less likely to do stupid things with their computers and don't need a Nagging Nanny.
    You're right, I still get some pretty lame nanny nags from time to time. I guess they manage to push things through the few Systray Messages that I have left checked. I hated the one that told me I needed to update. They didn't say what it was exactly that needs to be updated but I'm just supposed to do it. Yeah right. The first systray message I unchecked was Update. Haven't seen that message since, but I do get others occasionally. I click them off but it is annoying. Other than that though, I like AVG. Now what the 2016 release will bring is a good question.

Edit - Also, I got rid of the AVG Secure Search toolbar.
    Last edited by CEScott; 2016-01-04 at 14:25.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    I guess they manage to push things through the few Systray Messages that I have left checked. I hated the one that told me I needed to update.
    It seems as if each year we have to work harder and harder to keep from being force fed stuff we don't want. That's pretty much the definition of malware.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    It seems as if each year we have to work harder and harder to keep from being force fed stuff we don't want. That's pretty much the definition of malware.
    Do you think that Windows 10 would qualify as "malware" under that definition?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Do you think that Windows 10 would qualify as "malware" under that definition?
    I didn't say that. And I'm not going to say that. I'm not even thinking that. Yet... Ask me in a year.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I stopped using AVG years ago. When I repair a PC with AVG on it. I convince the owner to get a different AV.
    AVG is bloated and a resource hog! Those are my thoughts. I'm sure others will disagree!
    They use to be good. One that's even worse Norton!!

jwoods
    When looking for a new AV/AM product, these resources are a good place to start...

AV-Comparatives -

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

AV-TEST -

https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-m...esults/?avtest[type]=3

Virus Bulletin VB100 -

https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The issue of AV ratings comes up from time to time and I'm one of the few who says effectiveness ratings are often, dare I say it, over-rated.

Much about the ratings is how well they do in torture tests and feature comparisons. It's like deciding which blender to buy based on how well it will do when loaded with ball bearings or if it has 15 vs only 13 speed settings with a Mach 2 overdrive for vaporizing food.

I tried Bitdefender Free based on technical comparisons and liked it so I bought a copy - and within a week was trying to uninstall or disable annoying features. I don't need something that intrusive. I'm considering going back to the free version.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    I tried Bitdefender Free based on technical comparisons and liked it so I bought a copy - and within a week was trying to uninstall or disable annoying features. I don't need something that intrusive. I'm considering going back to the free version.
    I'd be very surprised if the drivers/engine for the paid Bitdefender where anywhere near as old as those in Bitdefender Free. Detection and successful cleanup rates are likely to be significantly lower with the Free version. My notes from last month:
    18 December 2015:
    Dates for the (then) current Bitdefender Free filters/drivers:
    avchv.sys System Driver BitDefender AntiVirus Active Virus Control Hypervisor driver BitDefender AVC 02/11/2012 13:17:46
    avc3.sys System Driver Active Virus Control filter driver BitDefender AVC 17/04/2013 14:59:56
    avckf.sys System Driver Active Virus Control Kernel Filtering driver BitDefender AVC 17/04/2013 14:59:58
    gzflt.sys System Driver BitDefender Gonzales FileSystem Driver BitDefender Gonzales 22/04/2013 13:21:00
    trufos.sys Dynamic Link Library Trufos Kernel Module BitDefender Antivirus 28/05/2013 12:12:19
    You might want to try Panda Free instead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast