Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Transitioning from Win 7 desktop

My wife gifted me with a new HP Envy desktop for Christmas, OS Win 10. I am currently using an HP Compaq desktop runing Win 7, with all updates current.
    My old desktop has an extra internal HDD that I use for backup purposes, capacity 2.72 TB, only 800 GB of which is in use (I only backup select data files/folders, in addition to occasionally doing a mirror image backup to the backup drive).

My new desktop has a 1 TB HDD, 12 GB of RAM, with plenty of room inside for me to transfer the backup HDD from my old desktop to the new one.

The reason for this thread is that I am trying to determine the easiest way to transition from the old to the new desktops. I have Malwarebytes Pro on the old pc and a 1 year trial copy of McAfee LiveSafe on the new one. (How do the two programs "play" with each other? MBytes usually works well with other programs, just wondering).

For those of you who have done this transfer, would appreciate comments and suggestions as to the best, most efficient way to get my data and programs moved from one pc to the other.

Thanks...

Thanks
    I will give my thoughts about the Malwarebytes vs McAfee. I don't have a lot of confidence in McAfee. In the recent past it has been mediocre software. (Perhaps it has improved since Intel bought it.) Since McAfee is a trial copy, and since you have a subscription to Malwarebytes, I would dump the McAfee and go with the Malwarebytes.

You could keep both, actually, if only one of them is doing the "active" protection (continual monitoring).

The other thing I will tell you is, get a good backup of everything, before you move from W7 to W10. In this way, if something gets messed up in the process, or if you change your mind about moving from 7 to 10, you can easily get back to where you are now.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You want an image of your present system not just backups of data. And you need bootable media if you need to restore. I use Acronis True Image but there are some good free ones also.
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    T.R.,

So many choices where do we start?

First do you want to continue to use the old machine or is it being recycled?

Secondly, how tight is the budget...enough for a SSD?

Here's what I'd do, of course YMMV!

1. Purchase a 256 Samsung EVO 850 Pro. Or other drive of your choice but this is the one I'd get.
    2. Get a copy of Macrium Reflect Free.
    3. Create the Boot Media on a USB on the new machine (most likely has UEFI Secure boot and you want that support on the boot media).
    4. Image the existing drive in the new computer.
    5. Replace the HDD with the SDD in the new computer (leave the HDD out for now) using the same MB data cable connection.
    6. Boot from the USB Key and restore your Image to the SSD. You'll have to resize C: but Macrium lets you do this as part of the process.
    7. Now reboot from the SSD. You should have a running machine the same as when the HDD was in place.
    8. Shutdown and reinstall the HDD, using a different SATA connector on the MB, and give it a wipe!
    9. Move your Documents,Videos,Pictures,etc. folders to the HDD using the location tab in File explorer.
    10. On the old computer copy your documents file to the 2.72 HDD.
    11. Remove the 2.72 HDD and install in a USB enclosure 1tb HDD.
    12. Now use the 2.72 TB USB mounted drive for your image backups, always best on external devices IMHO.

If getting rid of the old computer remove the remaining drive, you now have a second drive for Images, and send it on it's way.

Don't forget to De-Activate your Malwarebytes Pro License on the old machine so you can use it on the new one!

I hope I didn't get too confusing...just post back if you have questions.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek
    So many choices where do we start?
    Indeed.

I am a bit conflicted about leaving my comfort zone in Win 7 and venturing into Win 10, (which, as a Windows Secret newsletter reader, I have heard numerous stories that give me pause). Other than the fact that my existing desktop is about 4-5 years old, I would be tempted to just return the gifted PC and perhaps do some cleanup and upgrading to the old pc, which is beginning to run a bit slow. Is now the time to make the jump or no?
    My needs do not extend to having a high-end machine, but in looking at the difference between a SSD and a HDD, in terms of speed and durability, an SSD would probably double my speed that I have with my HDD and my RAM of only 4 GB (that last is not upgradable on my existing machine.)

Since I am speculating and weighing options here, RetiredGeek, perhaps you could lay out similar options for upgrading my existing desktop to boost performance and stay in my Win 7 system for another couple of years, (or give me your reasons against same) by which time Win 10 might both have worked out more bugs and become a more desirable option.

Thanks
    T.R.,

The recommendation wouldn't really change you just do it with your current machine, e.g. Where it says new machine use the new machine just use the old one.

The one thing you need to do though is to make sure your current machine supports ACHI mode as it is required for the SSD to work properly. You can check this in the BIOS. You can query Win 7 and SSD to find instructions on checking your machine and what you need to do with Win 7. BTW: I installed a SSD in my Dell Laptop w/Win 7 w/no problem.

Post back if more help needed.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    An EVO 850 (non-PRO) will be just as fast for us mere mortals (unlike RG) and will save you a few bob. In the new machine, of course.

Go straight to W10 on the new machine, before installing anything. It isn't that different to W7 and you will avoid the upgrade headaches.

Once everything is behaving, re-build the old machine and gift it to someone in need. (Returning the new machine will not win you any favours at home, the gift might.)

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Windows 10 is a Black Hole, security wise. WUDO and Cortana need to be disabled.

I tested Win-10 for over six months and when the test period was over, I removed it from all my test PC's and replaced it with Windows 8.1 Pro.

Since then, I've had to setup new PC's with Win-10 on them for several of my customers. It takes a while, of tweaking and tuning and changing default settings in Win-10 to make it even half way secure and ready for a home user that knows squat about system security.
    After the initial setup, I install "The Classic Shell" which restores the Programs Menu and a desktop that looks just like the one in XP or Win 7.

Mc Afee that comes on new PC's, should be deleted immediately. It's Crapware! Then activate Windows Defender and get the latest updates.
    Malware Bytes is ok for what it does, but it's not and never was an "Anti Virus" program.

One very important security program today, is "Super Anti Spyware". I use the FREE version and it's the only program I have that removes all of the Tracking Cookies and most of the PUP's, that build up on one's PC. In some instances, Tracking Cookies can be as big a security problem as a Virus.

Malware Bytes has come out with a new program called "Malware Bytes Anti-Exploit FREE". It works good and seems to close up a typical security hole.

Good Luck
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Since then, I've had to setup new PC's with Win-10 on them for several of my customers. It takes a while, of tweaking and tuning and changing default settings in Win-10 to make it even half way secure and ready for a home user that knows squat about system security.
    What's insecure with Windows 10 default settings?

(Perhaps you're including privacy settings?)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    An EVO 850 (non-PRO) will be just as fast for us mere mortals (unlike RG) and will save you a few bob. In the new machine, of course.

Go straight to W10 on the new machine, before installing anything. It isn't that different to W7 and you will avoid the upgrade headaches.

Once everything is behaving, re-build the old machine and gift it to someone in need. (Returning the new machine will not win you any favours at home, the gift might.)

cheers, Paul
    Paul,

I recommended the Pro model for two reasons:
    1. It's a brand new machine.
    2. Warranty 10 Years or 150TBW

Seems a better match up to me at least. YMMV!

In addition you get 6Gb more space 250 vs 256 (yeah not much but why not!)

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be of some use for getting use to Win10.

https://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_p...edirected=true

Free ebook: Introducing Windows 10 for IT Professionals, Preview Edition

-----------------------------------

For $10...this is a freakin steal!
    https://leanpub.com/windows10fieldguide
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-01-08 at 14:55.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    RG, the non-Pro has a 5 year warranty, that's new machine time, and is 40% cheaper - I've got other things to spend my money on.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul,

True enough. My upbringing is showing through here. One of my father's favorite sayings that a Roles Royce was a poor mans car since you only ever had to buy one! I've always gone for the highest quality my budget would allow and it has served me well. I'm still using my very expensive MacIntosh receiver and amplifier I bought in the 1970's, think I got my moneys worth? So yes, IMHO, it's worth 40% more (we're not talking about a lot of money here) for the extra cushion of 10 years 150TBW vs 5 years 75TBW as my data is important to me (yes I backup/image very regularly) as is my time, more so as I get older, should the drive fail (yes I know there are no guarantees). YMMV. I'm done here.

Happy 2016

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    T.R.,

1. Purchase a 256 Samsung EVO 850 Pro. Or other drive of your choice but this is the one I'd get.
    I support your advice RG, and if you meant the Samsung Pro especially so! However
    IIRC the Evo and Pro versions are mutually exclusive, the Pro being better IMHO.

EDIT oops did not see Paul's response.

Now a question: does restoring an image from an HHD to a SSD leave the partitions aligned?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I would also suggest trying W10 for a while and eventually migrating you s/w and data to it when you are familiar and comfortable w/ it. IMHO a 'spare' computer would be an asset, especially considering the problems that can occur w/ a new OS (and one w/ forced updates at that). When you are ready to migrate you might consider doing a fresh install.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast