5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Switch between programs

Running Win 95, Office 97: My friend has a problem with her Tab key in the office programs. Instead of acting like a tab key should, it switches her between active programs. For instance, she is in Word and has Excel minimized. She presses Tab, and Excel opens. Where do we change that??? I seem to remember that this is an option somewhere in the bowels of one of the programs.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Switch between programs

One of her alt keys is stuck on her keyboard. Have her hit each a couple times and it should resolve.
    Karen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Tried it. No go. The alt keys work fine. She said she remembers this as an option you can change somewhere, and I think she's right. Any ideas??

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry. That's the only way I know.
    Karen

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

sticky keys maybe? see accessiblity options. alt+tab cycles thru the program, i've only ever seen it be tab only when alt is stuck.

push escape instead of rehitting alt.

could the user have any 3rd party apps that changed the behavior?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if these links might help:
    How to Disable Shortcut Keys
    How to Customize Office Shortcuts

Alternatively, is there something in the "Accessibility" options which might cause the behaviour? Click on the Accessibility icon in the Control Panel to check.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The other possibility is that you have a programmable keyboard. Some keyboards can be set up so the keys send as other keystrokes. Tab may be set up to send as alt-tab.

Does it only happen in one program? If so it could be a macro or key assignment in that particular program. Look at Customise/Keyboard.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I don't have an answer but, I have experienced similar problems where the TAB key arbitrarily acts this way. I've never been able to track it down but for me it was sporadic and a re-boot cleared the problem. Are your symptoms only occuring in Office apps? Is it constant?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the problem occurs with all Office programs. But, rebooting hasn't solved the problem yet. I did check the Accessibility options in Control Panel, and that hasn't been changed from the defaults. I told her to try another keyboard. She hasn't let me know the outcome of that yet. If I ever figure this out, I'll let you all know. Thanks for trying to help!

DougJ

I've had this happen on several machines here at work. Assuming it's a stuck ALT key, I usually try hitting both of them several times to unstick them. Usually this works. At least twice I've found that, bizarre as it sounds, hitting both the SHIFT keys a couple times fixed it up. The one time none of this worked it turned out to be a spill on the keyboard that was shorting the ALT key. One screwdriver, an alcohol-soaked cotton swab and 10 minutes later, the keyboard was back to normal.

dcj2