New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update - error 0x8000705b4

I have Windows 10 pro 64bit and it's been running fine since the original upgrade from Windows 8.1 pro.

Like most I have differed the updates, however when I checked I have not had an update since 18th November

When I try a manual update it eventually returns the error code 0x8000705b4

The only way I can find to get the updates is to goto the update/advanced options and untick the "give me updates for other MS products etc"
    then restart the PC, once restarted, turn off windows defender and the updates download and install.

Then tick that box again and get the remaining MS updates.

Once I Restart Windows Defender the system is OK, but I would have to restart this process again to get more updates.

Is there a solution for this problem ?

Derek

jwoods
    I would suspect leftover bits from a third-party AV/AM program.

Use the removal tool for any product you have used in the past...

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/r...ware-1107.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

enforcer- (2015-12-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I would suspect leftover bits from a third-party AV/AM program.

Use the removal tool for any product you have used in the past...

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/r...ware-1107.html

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have only ever had Windows defender etc & Malwarebytes (paid)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by enforcer- View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have only ever had Windows defender etc & Malwarebytes (paid)
    If you are running both in real-time, add Windows Defender to Malwarebytes ignore list.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I run both in real time and have not seen a problem. I did exclude Superantispyware howeverCapture48.JPG
    Below is quoted by MBAM.

Also be aware that currently exclusions aren't actually required between Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials. The two run just fine together in realtime without setting exclusions so doing so is entirely optional.
    Samuel E Lindsey

Last edited by holdum333; 2015-12-31 at 21:43.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    I run both in real time and have not seen a problem. I did exclude Superantispyware howeverCapture48.JPG
    Below is quoted by MBAM.

Also be aware that currently exclusions aren't actually required between Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials. The two run just fine together in realtime without setting exclusions so doing so is entirely optional.
    Samuel E Lindsey
    I'm not sure where you got that information (who is Samuel E Lindsey?...links to your sources are more helpful).

Other people may have different experiences.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! My bad. I didn't post the link. I can't find the link now. It is my opinion that they can run in real time together. That's a pretty well know fact on all the help forums. Will see if I can find more information and post back here.
    If you want to set exclusions, I don't have a problem with that. Different strokes for different fokes! Do you have a link that says not to run them in real time together?
    Happy New Year my friend!

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Hi jwoods! My bad. I didn't post the link. I can't find the link now. It is my opinion that they can run in real time together. That's a pretty well know fact on all the help forums. Will see if I can find more information and post back here.
    If you want to set exclusions, I don't have a problem with that. Different strokes for different fokes! Do you have a link that says not to run them in real time together?
    Happy New Year my friend!
    If you re-read post #4, you'll see I didn't say they could not run together in real-time...I said if you run them together, to add the exclusions.

http://www.howtogeek.com/230158/how-...her-antivirus/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! No need for us to argue about this. It's a choice users can decide. I'm just saying it's not necessary to add exclusions. Here's a link and a big dog I trust. I'm sure you have heard of Brink.(Shawn) A well know known personality on help forums. Not saying your wrong. I'm saying it's a choice. MBAM and A/V's are two different things and my understanding is MBAM works well in real time with most AV programs. The reason I exclude SuperantiSpyware is it's not a AV and is similar to MBAM.
    Here's a link!
    http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-f...bytes-pro.html
    Post#2
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-01 at 02:08.

jwoods
    All Shawn Brink says is they can run together. That's it. Which is no different than what I have said.

I'm not sure what your goal is here.

We are troubleshooting a problem and my suggestion (that follows what How-To Geek recommends) is to see if adding exclusions makes a difference.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    All Shawn Brink says is they can run together. That's it. Which is no different than what I have said.

I'm not sure what your goal is here.

We are troubleshooting a problem and my suggestion (that follows what How-To Geek recommends) is to see if adding exclusions makes a difference.
    Not a problem.Worth a shot. I also would recommend running a sfc /scannow and see what that turns up.
    My goal is to learn new things and pass them forward.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Many thanks for all your replies..

I set up exclusions in both programs (Defender & Malware) + turned off the 'defer updates'
    and all is working fine.

Will now turn back on the 'defer' option and let you know how it goes.

Cheers