New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client Service at startup

Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 a couple weeks ago, and the system became so corrupted that I had to perform a complete fresh reinstall from Windows 8 a week ago, I promptly applied Windows Updates, then upgraded to Windows 8.1, followed by Windows 10. Within a few days, I received the error: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client Service" at startup (a small popup window over the notification area).

After checking some Microsoft forums, I repaired this using the System File Checker (admin Command Prompt: SFC /SCANNOW).

That was last week. Today, I received the same error message. Since my system was recently reimaged, it's still pretty generic - Windows 10 with Symantec Security and Office 2016.

Any thoughts why the Group Policy Client Service continues to fail?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Unless you are running Pro or Enterprise you shouldn't have group policy available. What version of Windows do you have?
    Control Panel > System and Security > System

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul, I'm running Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, Build 10586.36, 64 bit version

jwoods
    Check that the service "Group Policy Client" is running, and its startup type is set to Automatic.

It should also be using the Local System account.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-01 at 00:54.