2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alternatives to MS Office

Office 365, is nice, but I prefer to have it resident on my hard drive, can anyone suggest a good alternative to MS Office, Apache Open Office is supposed to be good, any experience shared would be welcome.....Happy New Year Mojave 1
    Regards,
    Marty

"Aerodynamics Is For Those Who Cannot Build Engines" - Enzo Ferrari

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Marty,

You know that w/365 you can load the current version of Office on your machine? That aside, I'd recommend Libre Office as the best free Office replacement IMHO.

HTH

Happy 2016
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2016-01-01)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use LibreOffice 5 and it does everything I need.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mojave1 View Post
    Office 365, is nice, but I prefer to have it resident on my hard drive, can anyone suggest a good alternative to MS Office, Apache Open Office is supposed to be good, any experience shared would be welcome.....
    Here is a thread that discusses alternatives to Word that I started a while back.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...o-much-for-me!
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Office 365, is nice, but I prefer to have it resident on my hard drive, can anyone suggest a good alternative to MS Office, Apache Open Office is supposed to be good, any experience shared would be welcome.....Happy New Year Mojave 1
    As already mentioned by RetiredGeek, with Office 365, you get to install Office as a local version, just as with any previous version. So, a current subscription allows you to download and install Office 2016 locally. It is not dependent on anything on the internet, other than having to validate your license from time to time.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I use LibreOffice 5 and it does everything I need.

cheers, Paul
    LibreOffice is my go-to choice, only issue is Outlook and Publisher. There's several alternatives for Outlook, not so much for Publisher. And LibreOffice supports Microsoft Works files, good for those clients that are Upgrading but have lots of .wps files.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Efficient Manís Organizer, of which there is a free version, is a topnotch PIM, and Thunderbird appears to be the hands-down winner for an email client for non-Microsoft Office versions.

I once started a thread (Monopoly busters) which ended up going nowhere (through my own neglect) but which was intended to have more to do with the economics and philosophy of the thing.

Many of us have fairly narrow uses for computers and our preferences are tied to that: if itís a (very) glorified typewriter and grammar-checker and reference source (plus the benefit or curse of email and all that) then we may unsurprisingly be tied to the word-processor and related matters. If Word is the best for your purposes, then Word it must be, nothing less, and we may or may not take whatever comes along with it. Toss in WordPerfect as well if you like. You posted this in Word Processing, so I take it that that is your primary interest.

The economics of it are such that a suite, or more than one suite, may make more sense than the single word-processor plus one or more additional expensive programs like Outlook or Publisher.

Thanks
    can anyone suggest a good alternative to MS Office
    Everything I read, and hear from colleagues, says Libre Office is the best alternative.

Of course, it all depends on which components of Office you use, and what for. If your usage is light or personal, then any Office suite should be fine--and find an alternative for a missing component, eg Outlook.

If you transfer documents to and from a bunch of other people, then you could run into problems if there is any complexity in them. Eg a weakness in Libre I hear about consistently is with styling, which is the key foundation of professional-grade Word work.

Apart from that, Libre's word processor is top-notch from what I hear. In personal experience, I've had to investigate zero Libre WP gotchas, whereas such investigation was a regular feature of working with Open Office files [the predecessor to Libre].

I don't have personal experience of other Libre products. What I hear is that Excel and Access are superior, but again only if you're doing more advanced work or collaborating with others.

If your needs are smaller than a full Office suite, then maybe MS Works would suit you better. Version 9 has been confirmed working with Win10, and version 8 with Win7. It contains basic versions of word processor, spreadsheet and database.

ETA Dogberry reminds me this is in the WP forum. Have you checked out WordPad, which is free in Windows?
    Last edited by Lugh; 2015-12-31 at 22:59. Reason: add WP comments
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You did not specify whether you wanted a free or paid suite.

I have been using WordPerfect ever since version 5.1 for MS-DOS and recently bought WordPerfect Office X6 (one version back) for a good price on Ebay (to replace version X3 which I have had for years). I find that I can get much more done in less time with WP even on relatively simple documents. It is much easier for me to get the page(s) looking the way I want to than it is with Word; probably, the fact that I don't use Word much is one reason. The other is the Reveal Codes screen which shows all the formatting codes and can be manipulated.

These comments only apply to Word. For spreadsheets I use Excel. I don't use any of the other components very much.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a suggestion that goes beyond OfficeLibre: if you want to try OfficeLibre, I suggest that you install it on a stick, initially at least, under Linux.

Linux Mint (now at 17.3, and strictly free of charge) includes OfficeLibre and a host of other applications and resources, all of which can be installed on a small (8 GB or larger) bootable stick, and the whole shebang can be installed on your computer in a dual-boot configuration if you like what you see. That version of Linux seems to be very user-friendly, but others are as well these days.

Things will run a bit slower if you boot from the stick, but you can certainly get the feel of it all, and you donít even have to have it installed, much less go online, to use it Ė you can put it on your keychain.

Any discussion beyond that level should be in a different forum, but I have it on a stick, and I agree that it is excellent, and better still for beginners to try it out under Linux.

Thanks
    +1 for LibreOffice. I personally wouldn't use OpenOffice these days. The pace of development (inc. bug fixes) of OpenOffice has slowed enormously:
    OpenOffice 4.1 released April 2014
    OpenOffice 4.1.1 released August 2014
    OpenOffice 4.1.2 released October 2015

LibreOffice, by comparison:
    LibreOffice 5.0.0 released July 2015
    LibreOffice 5.0.1 released August 2015
    LibreOffice 5.0.2 released September 2015
    LibreOffice 5.0.3 released October 2015
    LibreOffice 5.0.4 released December 2015
    LibreOffice 5.1.0.1 released January 2015

Have a look at this Should I switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice or Microsoft Office? article for more info.

In terms of interoperability, have a look at this LibreOffice gets major update with version 5, is now Windows 10 compatible article.

Hope this helps...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2016-01-03),dogberry (2016-01-05),Trev (2016-01-04)