Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Angry W10 removes modem and shows only WiFi connection

My modem is working well, and shows the Ethernet connection fine. However, W10 seems to have decided that the modem is not there. It shows the WiFi connection but then just says "Unidentified Network - no Internet access", for the Ethernet.
    As far as I can see, Windows has removed the modem, which is a BudiiLite, from File Explorer completely. Only the Realtek card is shown.
    It's not the modem; it's, by my guess, a setting in Windows 10. But I cannot find that setting!
    I am worried that the wireless access will disappear next!
    My ISP recommended lots of actions which I have done; they also took remote control and found nothing they could do. I also rang Microsoft - the biggest waste of time ever. I even did a System Restore in case the latest update did it - but no.
    I have seen, on various forums, that others are having similar problems.
    Can ANYONE here help? Please?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aravis View Post
    ...It shows the WiFi connection but then just says "Unidentified Network - no Internet access", for the Ethernet...
    I have been seeing this on some Win10 PCs. Usually when it happens in "Network and Sharing Center" the network connection is mis-identified as "Public" instead of "Private".

In "Network and Sharing Center" click on "Change adapter settings" (left panel) then right-click on the LAN (Local Area Network, AKA "Ethernet") adapter then click "disable". Wait <> 10sec then right-click again then click "enable". Win10 should re-identify the connection, hopefully correctly, and you should be able to connect to the Internet.

Also, it might help if you go to Device Manager and un-tick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the adapter's "Properties\Power Management" tab.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks

Question Modem lost in W10

Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I have been seeing this on some Win10 PCs. Usually when it happens in "Network and Sharing Center" the network connection is mis-identified as "Public" instead of "Private".

In "Network and Sharing Center" click on "Change adapter settings" (left panel) then right-click on the LAN (Local Area Network, AKA "Ethernet") adapter then click "disable". Wait <> 10sec then right-click again then click "enable". Win10 should re-identify the connection, hopefully correctly, and you should be able to connect to the Internet.

Also, it might help if you go to Device Manager and un-tick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the adapter's "Properties\Power Management" tab.
    Thanks, but i did that and no change! Is there any way to change the setting from Public to Private? Or do you think I should unplug the modem and plug it in again? I'm a bit worried I will lose the wireless as well!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aravis View Post
    Thanks, but i did that and no change! Is there any way to change the setting from Public to Private? Or do you think I should unplug the modem and plug it in again? I'm a bit worried I will lose the wireless as well!
    Laptop or desktop?

Can you post a screenshot of your "Network and Sharing Center" window?
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Desktop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Member
    Thanks
    That looks OK! What do you see when you click on Change Adapter settings on the left!Capture48.JPG

Thanks
    @ Aravis

You might be able to troubleshoot using info in this article: "Use Wired connection instead of Wireless connection in Windows 8 / 7" at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change...iority-windows

The dialogs are much the same in Win10 as in Win7/8.1.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    That looks OK! What do you see when you click on Change Adapter settings on the left!Capture48.JPG
    Much the same except that the unplugged message flashes and then it becomes Unidentified network - no internet access.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Wow! Never heard of that before. What do you show in devise manager??
    Any yellow marks?
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-01 at 01:01.

jwoods
    You might run the Network Troubleshooter.

If all else fails, you might consider running the Windows Repair Tool from Tweaking.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...ws_repair.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Aravis (2016-01-01)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    @ Aravis

You might be able to troubleshoot using info in this article: "Use Wired connection instead of Wireless connection in Windows 8 / 7" at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change...iority-windows

The dialogs are much the same in Win10 as in Win7/8.1.
    Thanks, but since the Ethernet connection has no Internet access, that might be a problem! I updated the Realtek driver, no change. I'm now waiting to see if my ISP who supplied the modem can give me advice...
    I still wonder if a W10 update at some time in the past month has done this.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! Never heard of that before. What do you show in devise manager??
    Any yellow marks?
    No yellow marks! And everything has been working till recently.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You might run the Network Troubleshooter.

If all else fails, you might consider running the Windows Repair Tool from Tweaking.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...ws_repair.html
    Yes, I did the Network Troubleshooter, no joy; so I will try the repair tool, thanks.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! It won't hurt any thing to run sfc /scannow. Just a shot in the dark!
    Can you get on the internet with a Ethernet cable??

jwoods
    Hi! It won't hurt any thing to run sfc /scannow. Just a shot in the dark!
    Can you get on the internet with a Ethernet cable??
    Running sfc /SCANNOW is one of the steps in the Windows Repair Tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast