5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Start shutdown and close laptop immediately?

When I initiate a shutdown on my Toshiba laptop it usually takes a few seconds to close any running programs and then it turns off the screen and takes some more seconds to actually shutdown completely. On the other hand if I just close the laptop while it is running it will stop execution and save the current state of the machine.

So, my question is: If I initiate a shutdown can I close the laptop immediately or do I have to wait for the shutdown to reach some point before closing the laptop? I don't want my closing the laptop to stop the shutdown process.

Thanks,
    Bill

jwoods
    Depends on where it is in the shutdown process.

I tried it a couple of times on my Toshiba laptop and it continues to shutdown with the lid closed.

Try it and see.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-31 at 20:53.

Thanks
    Most laptops are set to Sleep when lid is closed. I have mine set to Do Nothing. When I shutdown, it will shutdown with or without the lid being a factor. Well, you could set laptop to shutdown when lid's closed.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Depends on where it is in the shutdown process.

I tried it a couple of times on my Toshiba laptop and it continues to shutdown with the lid closed.

Try it and see.
    I didn't think I would be able to tell what happened but it sounds like maybe I can. I'll try it.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Most laptops are set to Sleep when lid is closed. I have mine set to Do Nothing. When I shutdown, it will shutdown with or without the lid being a factor. Well, you could set laptop to shutdown when lid's closed.
    No, I really do want it to just sleep if I just close the lid so I don't want to change that.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Sleep is and has always been problematical. (it may work OK, and then it may not)

You're a lot safer, if you just go into power management and set the Laptop to Do Nothing when you close the lid, and do all your shutdowns from a "Shutdown" shortcut, either on your desktop, or in your Task Bar. (in XP, it's the Quick Launch toolbar)

I've been using Quick Shutdown shortcuts on all my PC's since the '98 days. The syntax has changed some since XP, but the one I use works for Windows 7 thru 10.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 1

The spaces are important, so doing a copy and paste, of the above Blue line, into a NEW Shortcut on your Desktop will do the job nicely.
    My Desktop PC, running an SSD, will shut down in just five seconds, using the Shortcut.
    A laptop will probably be a little slower, but faster than using the standard Windows Shutdown route.

Good Luck and Have a great 2016!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!