Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Using the Media Creation Tool!

Hi! I used the Media creation tool to up grade my W7 PC. It worked well. A few minor bugs. Now I'm wondering if I can use that same tool on my working W10 PC. Why would I want to do that? A Refresh/Reset would lose my programs. I know I can create a image and use that to restore back to, but I'm always wanting to have several ways to get my PC back up and running. I created a flash with back to factory on it while I was running W7. Sense W10 doesn't offer that feature, I'm trying to figure out how I can restore W10 back to factory and save all my programs. I understand that a Refresh/Reset will delete my programs. I like a fresh start some times, but I hate reinstalling all my programs. Do you think Media Creation Tool would take me back to factory and save all my programs. If it would do that, it would really be great. Think it will work?? If not, why not?
    Thanks for your replies!

jwoods
    Isn't this the same thread?

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-creation-tool

If you go back and read the Thurrrott article in that thread, and follow the link to the Media Creation tool and how to use it, you'll see that you either use it to upgrade to Windows 10, or to clean install Windows 10.

Your understanding of what Refresh and Reset does needs refreshing. See your original threads on that topic...

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...3650-Reset-W10

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Refresh-Reset
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-01 at 01:26.

Thanks

Smile Media Creation Tool works same as Refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Hi! I used the Media creation tool to up grade my W7 PC. It worked well. A few minor bugs. Now I'm wondering if I can use that same tool on my working W10 PC. Why would I want to do that? A Refresh/Reset would lose my programs. I know I can create a image and use that to restore back to, but I'm always wanting to have several ways to get my PC back up and running. I created a flash with back to factory on it while I was running W7. Sense W10 doesn't offer that feature, I'm trying to figure out how I can restore W10 back to factory and save all my programs. I understand that a Refresh/Reset will delete my programs. I like a fresh start some times, but I hate reinstalling all my programs. Do you think Media Creation Tool would take me back to factory and save all my programs. If it would do that, it would really be great. Think it will work?? If not, why not?
    Thanks for your replies!
    I used the Media Creation Tool in the same way you are talking about and it did the same as a Refresh and I had to reinstall my programs. So the answer is yes you will have to reinstall your programs.
    Cheers Pete.....Happy New Year to all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KIWIpeteW For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-01)

jwoods
    You will only have to re-install desktop applications after doing a Refresh in Windows 10.

If you had to re-install every application on the system, you did something different.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Pete! Thanks for your reply! Desktop Apps are what I'm interested in. You have answered my question. The first time you use the tool, it loads all your Apps. I was asking about using it a second time and you say it did the same thing as a refresh. That's what I wanted to know. I figured that's how it might work. I'll stick with my Macrium Reflect when I have problems
    Happy New Year to you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You will only have to re-install desktop applications after doing a Refresh in Windows 10.

If you had to re-install every application on the system, you did something different.
    No, it wasn't many. It left a Removed Applications folder . I'm really sure that this Refresh was from the Media Creation Tool but I could be wrong of course.refresh111.pngBut now that I look back at what was removed there were not a lot removed so if this was done with Media Creation Tool as I think it was, then this would be better then a refresh. I remember thanking you for putting me onto it and it really cleaned up my machine. I may stand corrected if you are able to say this is not the case. Thanks Pete.

jwoods
    I may have...I don't recall.

It's an important distinction between Refresh removing just desktop applications (which it what it does) and, "removing your programs" (which implies something much bigger in scope).
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-01 at 03:29.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! Pete! I'm interested in the desktop apps. Did it remove any of them. Your attachment doesn't show many apps. If it left the desktop apps,that would be super! Only laziness stops me from trying it. Thought I would ask before I gave it a go.
    Thanks for your reply!

jwoods
    Since you do regular disk images with Macrium Reflect, you should be able to experiment all you want, and find out how things work.

Write down your results so you'll remember it.

Just veriify that your disk image is good before experimenting.

Thanks
    Hi! Pete! I'm interested in the desktop apps. Did it remove any of them. Your attachment doesn't show many apps. If it left the desktop apps,that would be super! Only laziness stops me from trying it. Thought I would ask before I gave it a go.
    Thanks for your reply!
    Just want to add that I have gone back over my threads and cant comfirm that this Removed Applications Folder (screen shot) is from the Media Creation Tool but I stand by the fact that I did lose some apps with the Media Creation Tool.I shouldn't have posted the screen shot because I remember it also lost my Trend Micro Maximum Security.That was a problem because my Password Manager was so hard to set back up and also all the information in Trend Micro Vault was gone (I had back up of that).I will think about this some more to try and confirm what happened.

jwoods
    Some applications were removed by the Build 1511 update, aka the "Fall Update".

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/24/bew...automatically/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Since you do regular disk images with Macrium Reflect, you should be able to experiment all you want, and find out how things work.

Write down your results so you'll remember it.

Just veriify that your disk image is good before experimenting.
    Hi jwoods. I can do that friend. I guess I'm a little lazy and I also like to find out if others have tried these things. Makes interesting reading! Also I hope it might help other members if it's discussed here on the forum. I always verify my images. I know I have one that will restore my OS back like I want it. I just wish everyone would create regular back up images of their OS. Saves a lot of grief.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies!
    Media Creation Tool RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR can do an in-place reinstall of WIN 10 without removing any programs at all. I just did this on three PCs. Had to refresh a couple of minor settings only.

Don in Austin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Donald Lewis For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-01)

jwoods
    Good tutorial on how to do a repair install using an "in-place upgrade"...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-01)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! Let me try to summarize all this. A Refresh will lose some apps. A Reset will lose all the apps. A Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade will save all your programs. This is very good to know. Please correct me if I don't have this straight. Some times it takes awhile for all this to soak in, for this old man. All these recovery features are a little different, but I can see where each one has it's place. I have learned a lot and hope I got it straight.
    I think once MS gets some bugs out,this will be the best OS yet. If MS makes recovery to easy, we won't have any thing to do on the forum. LOL
    I hope others have learned some things from this thread. I really like that repair install link, but old Macrium will always be my choice to recover from diasters.
    Thanks jwoods for the repair link.
    Happy New Year and thanks to all those that replied on this thread!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast