5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Back up to CD-RW and CD-R

Is it possible using the Windows XP back up utility to back up to CD-RW disks in the same way I would to other media like a HD or Zip drive? Is it necessary to format the CD-RW media before backing up to it or writing to it? If it is possible, are there disadvantages to using CD-RW media for back up? Is it possible to back up using the Windows XP back up utility to CD-R media?

Thanks

Re: Back up to CD-RW and CD-R

Some info here:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q306524&GSSNB=1>HOW TO: Back Up Information to a CD (Q306524)</A>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif, I am familiar with this procedure, but I am interested in using the XP back up utility (NTBACKUP). When I try this my CD-RW drive is not listed as a backup option. If I browse to the CD-RW drive, I get a message that I can not backup to this drive.

Thanks

I'm afraid I can't find anything at MS to confirm it, but it looks like NTBackup will not do the job - see and also <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jsiinc.com/subf/tip2800/rh2849.htm>JSI Tip #2849.

A solution I saw posted was to create a backup set of 650MB or less, save it to a hard disk, then copy the file to the CD.