New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 fills SSD

Since upgrading from 8.1 to 10, my Samsung 840 SSD has gone from being less than half full to almost completely full. I have looked at my personal files (documents, music, etc.) and nothing seems to have "grown." I have tried to delete the Windows. old folder, which is 21 GB, but cannot get the files deleted. How can I tell what is taking up all of the room and delete it? Even after deleting Windows.old there will still be many gigs of something that was not there before.

TIA,
    Stan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    To delete Windows.old, use the disk clean up tool (cleanmgr.exe) and choose the option to clean up system files, by pressing the adequate button.

As to finding what is taking your space, there are tools that show how your disk space is being used. I use Space Sniffer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Stan! Have you tried doing a disk clean up?? That should get rid of a lot of files that allow you to roll back to W8.1. Don't run it until you are sure you don't want to roll back. I use a freeware program called CCleaner to keep the junk files off my PC. Disk clean up should free up some space for you. Always back up your PC before doing a clean up! Have you checked for Malware??
    http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-...g-disk-cleanup
    Opps sorry ruirib! Looks like we had the same idea. I'll bow out!
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-01 at 12:01.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    To delete Windows.old, use the disk clean up tool (cleanmgr.exe) and choose the option to clean up system files, by pressing the adequate button.

As to finding what is taking your space, there are tools that show how your disk space is being used. I use Space Sniffer.
    Thank you. I ran cleanmgr and that seemed to free up about 40 gigs or so. But Windows.old still shows up on C: occupying 21 GB of space. I use ccleaner regularly and have used it recently, so it isn't finding the extra files. I will try space sniffer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stan.in.nc View Post
    Since upgrading from 8.1 to 10, my Samsung 840 SSD has gone from being less than half full to almost completely full. I have looked at my personal files (documents, music, etc.) and nothing seems to have "grown." I have tried to delete the Windows. old folder, which is 21 GB, but cannot get the files deleted. How can I tell what is taking up all of the room and delete it? Even after deleting Windows.old there will still be many gigs of something that was not there before.

TIA,
    Stan
    CCleaner is good to use for this type of thing, remember to tick "windows old" under advanced and untick "Taskbar Jump List" When windows old are removed it will no longer show under advanced. You can safely use CCleaner every day. I also untick "Empty Recycle Bin" under System. I ungraded to WIN 10 with a 128 GB SSD and solved the no room problem by not syncing all of Drop box and OneDrive folders. I also moved them to my Internal 22 GB (D)drive.
    Cheers Pete.

jwoods
    Windows.old will normally be removed by Disk Cleanup if it has been more than 30 days since you upgraded to Windows 10.

Thanks
    Thank you. I ran cleanmgr and that seemed to free up about 40 gigs or so. But Windows.old still shows up on C: occupying 21 GB of space. I use ccleaner regularly and have used it recently, so it isn't finding the extra files. I will try space sniffer.
    Sorry never saw this post and see you already have CCleaner. This also happened to me and for some reason Windows Old never deleted straight away but they did eventually. I put It down to me doing something wrong because like you they were still there and then they hang around but only holding empty folders using MBs rather then GBs but now they are gone.
    Cheers Pete.

Thanks

TIA,
    Stan
    I see that ruirib was right in post #2 Why and How to Delete Windows.old in Windows 10
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2016-01-01 at 15:56.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SpaceSniffer shows big chunks in documents, music, appdata, and windows. It shows 7 GB of Garmin maps that I don't need, pagefile, sys at 2.3 GB, and a $WINDOWS.~BT directory at 3.5 GB. Maybe I can reduce the pagefile size and delete some of the others. But Windows.old still shows up at 21 GB, and SpaceSniffer reports that it is "Unable to examine" many of the sections in Windows.old.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows.old is to be removed. KiwiPeteW posted an articled that shows in detail how Windows.old can be deleted using the disk cleanup tool, so maybe try that. I'm not sure if Windows 10 requires you to wait the 30 days, since removing Windows.old means no going back will be possible, through Windows's own means.

Space Sniffer can't see inside likely because the files there are owned by an account that the current Windows installation doesn't know about. That's a normal thing.

I usually find stuff to delete when I delve into the folders, in Space Sniffer. Maybe do that with the folders that take up unexpected space.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    SpaceSniffer shows big chunks in documents, music, appdata, and windows. It shows 7 GB of Garmin maps that I don't need, pagefile, sys at 2.3 GB, and a $WINDOWS.~BT directory at 3.5 GB. Maybe I can reduce the pagefile size and delete some of the others. But Windows.old still shows up at 21 GB, and SpaceSniffer reports that it is "Unable to examine" many of the sections in Windows.old.
    You wont save much by reducing Page File,mine is 1856 MBs and I have 12 GB Ram You find Page File at right click windows icon/control panel/system/advanced system setting/under advanced tap click settings/click advanced tap again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Windows.old is to be removed. KiwiPeteW posted an articled that shows in detail how Windows.old can be deleted using the disk cleanup tool, so maybe try that. I'm not sure if Windows 10 requires you to wait the 30 days, since removing Windows.old means no going back will be possible, through Windows's own means.

Space Sniffer can't see inside likely because the files there are owned by an account that the current Windows installation doesn't know about. That's a normal thing.

I usually find stuff to delete when I delve into the folders, in Space Sniffer. Maybe do that with the folders that take up unexpected space.
    You are not required to wait to remove Windows.old. But as you said you can not revert if you do remove it. Since I live on the bleeding edge of Insider releases I generally remove it within 24 hours of a new build.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You are not required to wait to remove Windows.old. But as you said you can not revert if you do remove it. Since I live on the bleeding edge of Insider releases I generally remove it within 24 hours of a new build.

Joe
    I followed JoeP's directions and windows.old finally got deleted. I am now back to nearly 80 gigs of free space, so, problem solved. Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    If you want to save even more space run this in elevated command prompt.
    Code:
    COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    If you want to save even more space run this in elevated command prompt.
    Code:
    COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always
    Some background on this method here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/...footprint.aspx