Thread: USB puzzler

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB puzzler

This is not a problem, just a mystery to me - the speed of USB flash drives.

I use a fair bit USB2 flash drives on my Win8.1 PC for film/videos to watch on an Android tablet while travelling. I have noticed that transferring speeds vary wildly.

Transferring from PC to flash drive: has been mainly 6mb per second average, but recently with a new one of exactly same brand (Kingston Digital 64GB Micro USB 2.0 DataTraveler) jumped to 13mb per second average.

Transferring from flash drive to PC: 27mb per second average!

Can anyone explain?
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Reading and writing speeds are usually different, so that would explain the difference from writing to reading. As to the differences between same brand, maybe they are not exactly the same drives - newer technology on the latest, enabling faster writing, maybe?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using the same USB port? Is anything else plugged into the USB bus? Any difference in what's running? All kind of things can make a difference so if you are going to compare two things, the circumstances need to be the same.

The USB stick you are using may be a newer faster version but with the same or very similar name. I've noticed that it can sometimes be tough to tell one from another and even purchased two that I thought were the same but were different.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jwoods
    There is a recent newsletter article by Fred Langa on USB speeds...

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...w-gear/#story1

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    AFAIK, the USB interface itself is the usual limiter on the speed of USB flash devices. However I also believe that different flash chips have different throughput capabilities. Since write speeds are always slower than read speeds, I believe it's possible that a newer flash chip set or chip lithography process could display significantly better performance. Even if the USB interface itself stays the same.

Most USB devices are sold primarily on their capacity, with some secondary attention paid to the USB interface supported. There are a couple of brands though that will explicitly tell you what the read and write capabilities of their USB flash device can achieve. These are always the ones that have a good story to tell on that score (they are performance oriented).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting replies. I have four USB3 ports and one USB2 for BT mouse and keyboard. I've always plugged the identical Kingston drives (bought using Amazon re-order option) into the same USB3 port.

Usually the only other things running at the same time as data transference will be my 2007 Outlook email and Chrome browser.

I also have plugged in one of the other ports a 1TB external drive which I suppose could have been active some of the times with File History. But five of the flash drives are always behaving at about 6mb per second, the new one at 13.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)