Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

IE will not launch after reinstalling Vista Home Premium

A neighbor asked for my help with his Windows Vista Home Premium desktop computer. The machine had contracted a virus (not identified), and the malware was blocking all attempts to find and remove it. I tried every trick I could think of, but nothing worked. He agreed to let me reinstall the OS from the recovery partition. He lost all his files, of course, but he said he had the important stuff saved elsewhere.

After we'd set up the machine, we had an Internet connection, but no browser. Internet Explorer was present, but would not go anywhere. We couldn't go to Microsoft to start downloading all the updates that we knew we'd need to install. I downloaded and installed Google Chrome, which let us download and install a Symantec product that he'd already bought, but had been unable to install before we burned down and rebuilt the system.

The owner took care of running the Windows updates. I haven't seen the system since I reinstalled the OS—all I know is what the owner tells me, and he tells me that IE still refuses to launch. It's no big deal, he says, since he has Google Chrome. Still, I'm curious about what's keeping IE from working. Can anyone point me to a solution. Thanks!

jwoods
    Open a Run box and enter c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe

Press OK.

If it runs this way, it's likely a corrupt shortcut.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try that next chance I get. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Should you find yourself in that position again with a difficult infection, booting up with a Kaspersky Rescue Disk may help.

http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk#kb

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-03)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that valuable tip. The Kaspersky Web site says, "Kaspersky Rescue Disk is a free tool for disinfecting computers from malware which does not allow the operating system to start." Now, in this case, the malware did not prevent the OS from starting. It simply wouldn't let me install any stand-alone scanners (such as those from Norton and McAfee) or AV software. Would the Kaspersky product have helped in this instance?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, it would have scanned the system outside of Windows as you had booted up with it - it can take a while though - about 9˝hrs to run through C: on my lightly loaded laptop.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Some times when I find a PC that won't boot windows because it's badly infected; I go into safe mode with net working. Then down load and run Adwcleaner,Malwarebytes free and ESET on line scanner.
    Running Kaspersky will work also. There are other AV's that you can run outside of windows also.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/100289/how-...dows-defender/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

Caesar3 (2016-01-04)

Thanks
    There are also tools like RKill that are designed to try to bypass any active malware blocks and kill the process behind them.

It sounds like there might have been, or still is, some kind of root/boot-kit behind this, these often require specific tools and techniques to discover and remove - best done under specific instruction from a good anti-malware forum with trained helpers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Caesar3 (2016-01-04)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    There are also tools like RKill that are designed to try to bypass any active malware blocks and kill the process behind them.

It sounds like there might have been, or still is, some kind of root/boot-kit behind this, these often require specific tools and techniques to discover and remove - best done under specific instruction from a good anti-malware forum with trained helpers.
    Hi satrow! I agree some times a good anti-malware forum is necessary. MBAM however does have a root kit feature in Pro. Not sure about the free version. Root kit's are not common these days, but they are possible. RKill is also excellent.
    Capture48.JPG

13. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

Caesar3 (2016-01-04)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    To all who've replied here: Many thanks! You've taught me a lot.