Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems

MS will do/say anything to get you to upgrade to win 10. Article by Gordon Kelly at FORBES.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...ws-7-problems/

Windows 7 runs on 55% of all the computers on the planet, but according to news this week that is actually a bad and potentially dangerous thing. Says who? Actually Microsoft.

Speaking to Windows Weekly, Microsoft Marketing chief Chris Capossela explained that users who choose Windows 7 do so “at your own risk, at your own peril” and he revealed Microsoft has concerns about its future software and hardware compatibility, security and more.

“We do worry when people are running an operating system that’s 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn’t going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn’t work on a bunch of older machines,” Capossela stated. “And so, as we are pushing our ISV [Independent Software Vendor] and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems.”

He also stressed it is “so incredibly important to try to end the fragmentation of the Windows install base” and to get users to a “safer place”.

There’s only one problem with Capossela’s statements: they are complete rubbish.
    Windows 7 is no less secure than Windows 10 (it will be supported until 2020) and no less compatible with new hardware and software. In fact its far greater market share means it is developers’ priority and has greater compatibility with legacy programmes and peripherals. If Fallout 4 won’t run on your Windows 7 computer, it will be upgrading your components not installing Windows 10 which fixes that.

As for fragmentation, the only issue that creates is for Microsoft and its target of getting one billion devices running Windows 10 within 2-3 years of release. And this is where the true motivation for Capossela’s statements become clear
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-01-10 at 23:58. Reason: First line made no sense after thread had been moved

Thanks
    For my three 64-bit computers, my three TrueBlue, 64-bit, Windows 7 Professional is just fine, thanks!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The authors claim that Capossela's statements are complete rubbish is complete rubbish. Does Windows 7 support Windows Hello? Does Windows 7 support device encryption in the Home SKU? Does Windows 7 have the same advances in memory management? Does Windows 7 support Universal apps (which are sandboxed)? Does Windows 7 support secure boot? Does Windows 7 support SmartScreen filter in the OS? The answer to each is NO. Each of these is a security advance.

The statement that Windows 7 is supported until 1/14/2020 is somewhat misleading. Windows 7 is out of mainstream support. Security fixes only until support expires. No enhancements. No non-security fixes except for Premier Support customers. No feature or design change requests. No complimentary support incidents. See Microsoft Support Lifecycle for the definitions of various support categories.

As has happened with every new version of Windows as time goes by newer hardware and software will not support older versions of Windows. That will happen more and more frequently as the install base of Windows 7 shrinks.

And YES Microsoft is going to emphasize anything and everything it can to get people to upgrade. And YES, any user can reasonably continue to run a Windows 7 system for quite a long time especially if the user is careful about Internet access and which programs are installed.

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2016-01-07)

Thanks
    Most of what you say is true Joe, but my take on it is that Capossela's statements are more of a "Scare Tactic" to general user's to get them to upgrade to W10 and the author is just saying that it isn't true.
    BTW, hope you are staying out of the water there. From what I have seen on the news, that is a mess.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Upgrading is all nice and dandy, but that is not an option for some people. I faced that just recently, when I upgraded a perfectly working laptop from XP to Vista and then 7. The computer worked perfectly with XP and even better after putting in a new SSD, replacing the very slow HDD it had originally. The computer runs perfectly on 7 (now), but with 8, which I also tried, not even the upgrade advisor would run.

With the computer running perfectly on 7 and being unable to install 8, why would anyone just dump the laptop to use a new OS? That doesn't make sense. 7 is now where XP was before, just with security patches being offered and it will keep being there for another 5 years. Maybe for someone like the person who owns the laptop I upgraded, that can be a time to buy a new laptop and use whatever version of Windows will be available then.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    My advice is to upgrade to Windows 10, and don't look back. Actually, you shouldn't even be on Windows 7 anymore. There has been Windows 8/8.1 for a while, and I have been using Windows 10 for much more than 1 year. So, why use an antiquated OS that is going to be defunct in a few years? It just does not make any sense at all. It is not logical.

Thanks
    It just does not make any sense at all. It is not logical.
    That's more of a personal opinion IMHO.
    The article doesn't say that W10 is bad, it just points out how desperate MS is getting and the questionable tactics they are employing.
    Personally I have Win10 on a laptop and all the rest of my computers are still Win7. Win10 is ok but I'm not ready to change the other computers for some time yet. Just my logic.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-01-03 at 16:14. Reason: cleaned up html

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am staying with Windows 7 because it works very well for me and I see no problem (with Windows 7) or advantage (with Windows 10) which makes it worthwhile for me to change.

Microsoft, who I now trust less, has not given me any credible justification for change either.

This is the quote from the article which best reflects my overall view:

As I’ve written before, at its core Windows 10 is a very capable operating system with immense promise but it is also overly controlling and I can respect those Windows 7 and Windows 8 users who choose to stay where they are. And this is the part Microsoft has forgotten: technically it keeps giving users a choice, but by enforcing nagging pop-ups, cutting opt-out options and spreading groundless fear for the average user it appears there is no choice at all…
    Last edited by MartinM; 2016-01-03 at 16:23.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    My advice is to upgrade to Windows 10, and don't look back. Actually, you shouldn't even be on Windows 7 anymore. There has been Windows 8/8.1 for a while, and I have been using Windows 10 for much more than 1 year. So, why use an antiquated OS that is going to be defunct in a few years? It just does not make any sense at all. It is not logical.
    It makes sense and is perfectly logical for anyone on a fixed income/limited budget who has an older, working and reliable PC/laptop that is not upgradeable from Windows 7 and for whom a new PC/laptop is out of the question.

For those whose hardware is not compatible with Windows 10, free is not free.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Refers to SmartScreen in IE 9-11, rather than in the OS, as Joe mentioned.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Refers to SmartScreen in IE 9-11, rather than in the OS, as Joe mentioned.
    True, but IE is part of the OS although in context.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    True, but IE is part of the OS although in context.
    But SmartScreen on Windows 10 protects against malicious downloads by any application, so it's one of many ways in which Windows 10 is more secure than Windows 7.

Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-01-04 at 06:32.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Isn't that what it does in Win 7 as well ?

EDIT - Must admit that article is impressive - wondered why we had a couple of quick FP updates in December.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-01-04 at 08:49.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    djohnson, here are the "reasons" you have given for people to upgrade to Windows 10:

* "You shouldn't even be on Windows 7 anymore."
    * "There has been Windows 8/8.1 for a while."
    * "I have been using Windows 10 for much more than 1 year."
    * "Why use an antiquated OS that is going to be defunct in a few years?"
    * "It just does not make any sense at all."
    * "It is not logical."

It's hard to take you seriously when you give "reasons" like that. Especially in light of the high-pressure and underhanded tactics that Microsoft is resorting to with Windows 10 upgrades.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast