Lounger
    Thanks

Problem saving files since Win7 to Win10 update

Seems when I want to save a file I now have problems with permissions. I'm trying to save a file to the root drive C and get a message about not having permission. I had none of these problems in Windows 7 and few answers from web searches. My only user account is set as an Administrative account. I am the only user. What few attempts I've found people have tried involves setting the permissions under Security of a folder. That didn't work for me and there has to be an easier way, I have a ton of folders although they may not all have this issue. Currently I'm trying to copy a file from my User account to the root drive. Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
    Steve

jwoods
    That is the default behavior for Windows 7 as well.

You can copy or move a file to the root folder, but not save it.

It is owned by Trusted Installer.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    File / folder permissions sometimes get out of kilter in the upgrade. You need to "take ownership" of all locations where you wan to write files, except root, leave that alone.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

Actually I found an answer I never expected. Type in secpol.msc and enter. Go to Local Policies, Security Options. Scroll down to User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode and double click on Enable to disable. Close and re-boot.

I tried changing file/folder permissions and it didn't work. The above did. Seems if I post a question, wait a bit, and search again I'll find an answer and seldom does it come from MS itself. Here's the link where I found the answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx5F_bn-JuM Go figure.

Thanks,

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

That was the next step until I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx5F_bn-JuM But for the record I had no problem saving in the root drive with Windows 7 Pro 64 either.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Secpol is only available in Pro or Enterprise.
    Setting UAC to permanent is bad, m'kay. You are removing one of Windows primary security doors.

Instead of saving to the root of C:, create a temp folder and use that.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

sreilly24590 (2016-01-03)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Secpol is only available in Pro or Enterprise.
    Setting UAC to permanent is bad, m'kay. You are removing one of Windows primary security doors.

Instead of saving to the root of C:, create a temp folder and use that.

cheers, Paul
    So that brings up an interesting question, if a file or program was attempting to make changes to Windows and UAC is set to normal or higher, would the user even be aware that UAC thwarted the attempt? In my many years of owning computers I have never had any indication that there was an attempt with exception of my trying to save or copy over a file to another location, varies. As with any computer I've always felt that diligence is your best security measure and by that I mean having good protection software and smart browsing. I protect my systems by using ESET Nod32 for anti-virus software, Malwarebytes, and UnHackMe on all systems. I never open attachments I'm not expecting or that hasn't been scanned first. Maybe I have a sense of false security but I haven't had any issues in years but I don't go to adult sites, gambling sites, download pirated software, and so on. I did many years back, at least 20-25 years ago have a new hard drive that was having a great deal of issues and after speaking with Maxtor tech support and many attempts at low level formatting, ended up sending the drive back for warranty. At the time I had McAfee anti-virus software and they wanted the drive. Get a replacement drive under warranty or let some software company play with the drive? I figure if there was a serious attack on the drive Maxtor would send the proper alerts to those software firms.
    Not saying I don't see credence in your advice, I do, but the posts I've seen refer to mostly folder that any user should be able to write to such and My Documents, My Pictures, and so on. To have to go to every folder that you have issues with and take ownership not only time consuming but also not necessarily taking care of all the issue. From what I've seen posted on MS forums there haven't been any helpful replies, if any, from MS itself.

Thanks again for the response.

Steve

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Having to take ownership of folders is telling you "don't play here". Up to you whether to heed the advice.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Having to take ownership of folders is telling you "don't play here". Up to you whether to heed the advice.

cheers, Paul
    That makes some sense unless there are other reasons the folder(s) are off limit. If it was set that way by the OS then there would be some assumed security reason, but then again maybe not. I can go into the Windows folder and change or re-name files without any warning given. Seems to me if this was a problem, which it certainly could be, you wouldn't be allowed to. Far more likely to be destructive versus saving a file to the root directory, at least it would seem so. I'm no expert by any means and maybe these are hard and fast rules programmers would know and abide by but not apparent to just your regular users. But as I said before, a lot of posts were about saving to their My Documents, My Pictures, and so on folders which have never been off limit short of it being set that way by a network administrator. For home systems, even on home network systems, this shouldn't be a problem unless it was setup that way. And it certainly shouldn't be a problem when doing the upgrade from one OS to another. For me that was Win 7 Pro 64 to Win 10 Pro 64. Why would there be a change in basic policy?

Thanks again. Not looking for an argument but rather a better understanding. I have no problem setting my PixInsight startup icons elsewhere but the root drive is one place that an update doesn't disturb if I have to remove the previous version before installing a newer version (of PI). But I could easily create a folder on any of my 6 installed hard drives (tons of astro raw images for processing).

Steve

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Steve! I say go for if that's some thing you want to do. No one is arguing, just giving their suggestions. Looking for a better understanding is good IMHO.
    Please make sure you make a back up image of your OS before getting to carried away.