Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore Points revisited

Am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit on a Dell Precision Tower 5810

Besides the Restore Points automatically created, I periodically create Manual Restore Points.

Because some Restore Points were just "disappearing" for no known reason, I increased the amount of space for Restore Points.

The current Maximum Usage Space is 20% (45.86 GB) but the Current Usage is only 7.09 GB.

But, I find that Restore Points are still "disappearing".

I have researched this problem (elsewhere & in the Windows Secrets Lounge) & still cannot find a definitive answer for this.

I understand that once a Restore Point is beyond a certain age, it may not be a good idea to restore to it anyway.

But, I would still like to find out why this is happening.

Thanks
    Are you using a third-party disk defragger rather than the one built-in? If so, create some manual restore points then run a manual defrag using the third-party tool to see if it's responsible for your problem.

Hope this helps...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Am not using any defrag tool because it is a 250 GB Solid State Drive.

jwoods
    If selected, Disk Cleanup will remove all but the current restore point.

Thanks
    Can you be more specific..... just what restore points are disappearing? Old ones or more recent ones?

In practice, you'd probably NOT want to restore back more than a day or two, to fix a recent problem like an Update that went bad.
    You can just loose a lot, by going back more than just a few days.

I too rely on restore points to keep my PC running smoothly, so much so that I've put a script, that creates a new restore point, in my Startup folder, so I get at least one new Restore Point every day that I use my computer.

If you are using an SSD, I suggest that you run "Trim" at least once a week. I got that in the "SanDisk SSD Dashboard" along with my SanDisk SSD.
    It's set up to run TRIM once a week, and I can run it manually any time I want. That's the SSD equivalent of "Defrag".

Have a great 2016!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    If selected, Disk Cleanup will remove all but the current restore point.
    Have also never used Disk Cleanup

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Can you be more specific..... just what restore points are disappearing? Old ones or more recent ones?
    At this time I cannot be more specific - because I am not very sure of which ones are being deleted.

But, it "appears" that a lot of my "Manual" Restore Points do not survive for very long.
    It seems like Microsoft thinks those "Manual" Restore Points are no longer useful & just deletes them.
    When you "Scan for affected programs" for a Manual Restore Point, nothing is affected - so if a subsequent Restore Point does have "affected programs", does Microsoft just assume the Manual Restore Point is no longer needed.

As of today, I have taken a screen shot of the Restore Points.
    Will do that every day or so & see exactly which ones are disappearing.

In practice, you'd probably NOT want to restore back more than a day or two, to fix a recent problem like an Update that went bad.
    You can just loose a lot, by going back more than just a few days.
    That was what I was thinking, so I have not been overly concerned about the disappearing Restore Points for the 3 1/2 months I have had this System.
    More of a What the #%$ is going on then anything else.

I too rely on restore points to keep my PC running smoothly, so much so that I've put a script, that creates a new restore point, in my Startup folder, so I get at least one new Restore Point every day that I use my computer.
    I was trying to do Manual Restore Points at least once weekly.
    Will go to once daily from here on.
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2016-01-03 at 18:00.

Thanks
    If you are using an SSD, I suggest that you run "Trim" at least once a week. I got that in the "SanDisk SSD Dashboard" along with my SanDisk SSD.
    It's set up to run TRIM once a week, and I can run it manually any time I want. That's the SSD equivalent of "Defrag".
    TRIM kicks in here (W7) automatically, usually within ~20 seconds of deleting a file, there's no need to run it manually once it's been verified to be enabled and active (I use HD Sentinel to report this).

Defrag it isn't/doesn't, no need.

Thanks
    "I was trying to do Manual Restore Points at least once weekly.
    Will go to once daily from here on.
    Well, if you just use the VBScript, you won't have to do all that manual Restore Point creating.
    That can sure save you a lot of time. Unless, of course, you're not turning off your PC when you're done using it. Eh?

I'd be glad to send you the script, if you want it.

The Doctor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    Have also never used Disk Cleanup
    Well, you're not 100% wrong, because "Disk Cleanup", the way it comes, set up, from MS, is pretty wimpy.
    However, if you'll set it up and run it in "Extended" mode, it's a whole different program and 100% MORE effective at cleaning out the junk. And Disk Cleanup is a part of Windows, so it's CHEAP!

That's also something that can be set up in the STARTUP folder, for those folks who will NEVER run any kind of a maintenance program on their own computer.

Setting up Disk Cleanup to run in Extended mode should probably be devoted to a new thread.
    Not overly complicated, but detailed.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, if you just use the VBScript, you won't have to do all that manual Restore Point creating.
    That can sure save you a lot of time. Unless, of course, you're not turning off your PC when you're done using it. Eh?

I'd be glad to send you the script, if you want it.

The Doctor
    Please do send it to me.

THANKS in advance

Additional Question though:
    If I am doing "Manual" Restore Points and NO programs are affected, are those Manual Restore Points really necessary?
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2016-01-05 at 12:34.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, you're not 100% wrong, because "Disk Cleanup", the way it comes, set up, from MS, is pretty wimpy.
    However, if you'll set it up and run it in "Extended" mode, it's a whole different program and 100% MORE effective at cleaning out the junk. And Disk Cleanup is a part of Windows, so it's CHEAP!

That's also something that can be set up in the STARTUP folder, for those folks who will NEVER run any kind of a maintenance program on their own computer.

Setting up Disk Cleanup to run in Extended mode should probably be devoted to a new thread.
    Not overly complicated, but detailed.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    I did start that new thread at
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Extended-Mode

Guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Please do send it to me.

THANKS in advance

Additional Question though:
    If I am doing "Manual" Restore Points and NO programs are affected, are those Manual Restore Points really necessary?
    Not if you use a Script, , , and YES I can't actually SEND you the script, but I can Print it here, and you can copy and paste it into a Notepad doc and save as a .vbs file.

There is a lot more info saved in a Restore Point than just changes to programs. If you just change the arrangement of icons on your desktop, that's saved in a new Restore Point. Likewise any other change to Windows, regardless of how small it may seem.
    Those changes to Windows are saved back to the Hard Drive every time you reboot your PC. All the more reason to do a full shut-down ever day.

For those who won't even accept PM's and don't want to give me their email address, here's the code for the script.

' Created by: Shawn Brink
    ' http://www.sevenforums.com
    ' Tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-shortcut.html

Function GetOS
    Set objWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonat e}!\\" & ".\root\cimv2")
    Set colOS = objWMI.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")
    For Each objOS in colOS
    If instr(objOS.Caption, "Windows 8") Then
    GetOS = "Windows 8"
    elseIf instr(objOS.Caption, "Windows 7") Then
    GetOS = "Windows 7"
    elseIf instr(objOS.Caption, "Vista") Then
    GetOS = "Windows Vista"
    elseIf instr(objOS.Caption, "Windows XP") Then
    GetOS = "Windows XP"
    End If
    Next
    End Function

If GetOS = "Windows XP" Then
    CreateSRP

End If

If GetOS = "Windows Vista" Or GetOS = "Windows 7" Then
    If WScript.Arguments.length =0 Then
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    objShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", Chr(34) & WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " Run", , "runas", 1
    Else
    CreateSRP
    End If
    End If

If GetOS = "Windows 8" Then
    If WScript.Arguments.length =0 Then
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    objShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", Chr(34) & WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " Run", , "runas", 1
    Else
    const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
    strComputer = "."
    Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=imper sonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
    strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore"
    strValueName = "SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency"
    oReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strValueName,0
    CreateSRP
    End If
    End If

Sub CreateSRP

GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore ").CreateRestorePoint "Instant Restore Point", 0, 100

End Sub

Just copy and paste, the Blue Lines into a Notepad doc and save as "Instant_Restore_Point.vbs"

I hope that works better than sending it to individual persons.
    Kudos go to Shawn Brink, for his hard work.

Cheers Mates,
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2016-01-06 at 16:58.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

StevenXXXX (2016-01-06),wavy (2016-01-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Post #5 DrWho said:
    At this time I cannot be more specific - because I am not very sure of which ones are being deleted.As of today, I have taken a screen shot of the Restore Points.
    Will do that every day or so & see exactly which ones are disappearing.
    An Automatic Restore Point created 12-19-15 disappeared sometime today.
    It fell between an 11-23-15 System Image Restore Point and a 12-21-15 Manual System Restore Point.
    Also, on 12-24-15 a Windows Update (Type: Critical Update) Restore Point was created and still exists.

Only 1 example of a disappearing Restore Point does not make a pattern, but it does show that Restore Points do in fact disappear on their own.
    I have seen posts in other places where people are also claiming that their Restore Points are disappearing.
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2016-01-06 at 17:44.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Steve! Mine disappear also. I don't have a clue why. Restore to a earlier time is the first thing to try if you're having issues, but creating a image is the best defense you can have. Restore points haven't been all that reliable for me, but a Macrium Reflect Image has never let me down. I'm going to monitor my restore points and see which ones are disappearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast