Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

What makes my PC slow as molasses 6 am daily?

I have an old PC but normally it runs very fast, along with a better than average internet speed. However, at the same time every day I hear the hard drive begin to rattle (or "think") and continue this for some time.

This lasts at least a half an hour, and is normal 2 or 3 hours later, but I honestly stay away for as long as possible, so don't know. The onset is sudden but not indicated by any flicker or sound except the hard drive noise (and that's not abrupt either). Maybe the return to normal is more gradual.

I'm not sure if there's a specific ending time for this...working is just about useless unless perhaps I'm doing straight typing with no multitasking at all. So I usually leave it alone. The change back to normal may be more gradual than the onset. What it sounds and acts like is similar to when the system (on any healthy PC) boots up. You might as well do something else for a minute (or so) while all the programs load. During that time, you'll hear that old rattle, and if you try to open a browser, click a shortcut, or resume watching a video--you'll pile tasks on top of one another and stunt the load process. If you start to type, your fingers may type a lot more than appear on screen until the memory "catches up" with you.

When this happens to me, system processes are INCREDIBLY slow. I can ALT-TAB to switch between open windows and it may take more than a minute to happen.

WHAT I THINK I'VE RULED OUT
    You know that solitaire effect when you win a game and the cards "dance" around with echoes of the cards trailing behind? It's the same thing sometimes when memory is limited and you try to move a dialog box or other window? You get a trail of images, or perhaps a trail of white space? That is NOT HAPPENING. (It could just be lack of context but it may help determine the problem.)

This does not seem to be Internet related. Nothing is uploading/downloading and if I disconnect from wifi, it doesn't change anything.

It's not my antivirus program. I use Comodo Internet Security (firewall and antivirus), with current signatures and regular scans.

I've looked at the Events Log but don't see a pattern, but admit I'm barely familiar with the terms there.

It's nothing from a CD or DVD.

I've consulted Comodo's GeekBuddy to try to diagnose this--I don't think the tech guy was particularly intuitive. He did not find anything.

I have an HP Pavilion m7650n.
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

C:\Users\ . . .>systeminfo | Findstr /i "OS"

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
    OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.06, 8/11/2006
    [02]: D-Link DWA-140 RangeBooster N USB Adapter(rev.B
    2)

= = = = =

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JC-PC
    System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
    System Model RF254AA-ABA m7650n
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, 1867 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.06, 8/11/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name jc-PC\jc
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.99 GB
    Available Physical Memory 229 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.47 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 3.89 GB
    Page File Space 4.49 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Last edited by Bryan Ryan; 2016-01-04 at 04:31.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried opening Resource Monitor, to find out which process / app is using the disk?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Frustratingly, resource monitor "acts" like nothing out of the ordinary is happening. I don't know how to reference it, but a post I found after my own, "MASSIVE slowdown no longer intermittant" [sic], describes my situation very well, except his happened at random and then apparently all the time. I'm looking at the proposed solutions including downloading a SMART log program. I'd like to hear fresh ideas especially now that I know there's another who had my issues.
    Last edited by Bryan Ryan; 2016-01-04 at 04:25. Reason: Correction/Clarification re: other post

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Load Process Explorer just before the slow down and then pop it up to see what happening.
    You can view the I/O by clicking on the 4th graph along the top, then hover over the graph to see what process is doing the most.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Ryan View Post
    Frustratingly, resource monitor "acts" like nothing out of the ordinary is happening. I don't know how to reference it, but a post I found after my own, "MASSIVE slowdown no longer intermittant" [sic], describes my situation very well, except his happened at random and then apparently all the time. I'm looking at the proposed solutions including downloading a SMART log program. I'd like to hear fresh ideas especially now that I know there's another who had my issues.
    The random nature of the other situation and the precise regular nature of your own, make me think your issue is different. Monitor CPU usage, as well. Unresponsiveness usually comes from either 100% CPU usage or 100% (or close) disk usage, so don't forget to check what the CPU is doing.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The program with the highest Read/Write is cavwp.exe, which is a Comodo file regarding real-time monitoring. Obviously real time happens around the clock, and my problem occurs at a specific time. Another contact with a Comodo Geekbuddy technician shows me that I am a better troubleshooter than most of these hacks.

(It's like telling a mechanic, I have a problem slowing down or coming to a stop, and they check the washer fluid. Nice maintenance work, but can you get to the actual issue?)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go Start - type task scheduler and press enter then have a look through there to see if anything is set to phone home or whatever at a given time.

I think I'd be tempted to run a scan with the free version of MBAM as well.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your antivirus is probably doing an update and complete scan of your hard drive. Check the settings and see if you can put it at 3am or something.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Ryan View Post
    The program with the highest Read/Write is cavwp.exe, which is a Comodo file regarding real-time monitoring. Obviously real time happens around the clock, and my problem occurs at a specific time. Another contact with a Comodo Geekbuddy technician shows me that I am a better troubleshooter than most of these hacks.

(It's like telling a mechanic, I have a problem slowing down or coming to a stop, and they check the washer fluid. Nice maintenance work, but can you get to the actual issue?)
    Are you stating that cavwp.exe is the one with highest read / write at the time the issue occurs? I guess you will need to monitor it a bit before it occurs, so that you can find what changes...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    It certainly sounds like a scheduled task, set to run at 6 am. If you want to create a CSV list of scheduled tasks, try this:

1. Create a folder called Temp in the root of C:. (This is only because scripts/BAT files aren't usually allowed to write to the root of C:.)
    2. Copy and paste the following into Notepad: schtasks /query /fo CSV /v > C:\temp\tasks.csv
    3. Save this to the newly-created C:\Temp folder as something like List scheduled tasks as CSV.bat. (Make sure it's saved as a .bat file. not a .bat.txt file.)
    4. Right-click on the newly-created .BAT file and choose Run as administrator from the context menu. This will create a file called tasks.csv in the C:\Temp folder.
    5. Double-click on the .CSV file and look for the adjoining columns marked Schedule and Start Time:
    tasks.png

Hope this helps... any problems, attach the .csv file to another post for us to look at.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-01-04),RetiredGeek (2016-01-04),wavy (2016-01-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you saying this 6AM issue that "lasts at least a half an hour, and is normal 2 or 3 hours later" is consistent every day?
    --- For verification that tells me it takes that long for your computer to return to normal?
    --- If you shut down your computer overnight and don't start back up until maybe 9AM, does the same issue occur?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rick,

Thanks a BUNCH! Now I have access to all this new information I "have" to write code to process!
    ROTFLOL.gif

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek
    I "have" to write code to process!
    RG, I think it's already been done.

(A Google search for powershell get scheduled task list shows loads of hits so I guess it's quite a popular topic. It also appears that a Powershell script overcomes some deficiencies of schtasks.exe. Who knew?)
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-01-04 at 20:00. Reason: typo

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2016-01-04),RetiredGeek (2016-01-04)

Thanks
    It's all helping me to understand this Powershell thing. One day I might be able to write a script to do something useful....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    ...3. Save this to the newly-created C:\Temp folder as something like List scheduled tasks as CSV.bat. (Make sure it's saved as a .bat file. not a .bat.txt file.)...
    To have Notepad save a file using other than the default ".txt" file extension enclose the desired filename.extension in double-quotes, e.g.: "List scheduled tasks as CSV.bat".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast