Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Reevaluating Seagate DiscWizard free backup software

For a few years I have been using (and recommending) the free Seagate DiscWizard software, if you have a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive. It has a solid feel about it, and it is easy to use.

However, my experience this past weekend causes me to reevaluate that recommendation.

This past weekend, I wanted to mount a backup image and search through it for an item I had backed up. It mounted successfully. But then, when I tried to access the main folder where I keep all of my docs, pics, etc., that folder was inaccessible. I logged in on my administrator account, and I even made my standard account an administrator. Neither of these steps allowed me to access the folder or grant permission to access it. (Everything was grayed out and inaccessible under the Security tab.) I came to the conclusion that either (1) the backup was somehow corrupt, or (2) the software was preventing my accessing an individual folder (I was using the free software).

I then downloaded Macrium Reflect trial version and did a full backup. I was then able to mount the backup image and access stuff in it with no problem whatsoever.

I haven't done exhaustive testing, so I can't say with absolute certainty. But I did work with it for a while. My thought is that Seagate DiscWizard free version of the software won't allow you to mount a backup image and then copy individual items out of the image.

Recommendation: Test your backup software, so that you know it is working, before you accumulate years of backups, only to find that they won't work for restoring parts or all of your system.

Thanks
    +1!! I learned similar lessons over the years! I use both Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect Pro; along with making sure the backup/restore programs are working, also from time to time, test the external backup drives or media, make sure those devices are working.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It maybe free but does it do what you want? Sometimes paying for software is sensible.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    It maybe free but does it do what you want? Sometimes paying for software is sensible.

cheers, Paul
    I was just telling my wife, you get what you pay for.

I'm about to pay for Macrium Reflect for this very reason.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Macrium Reflect Rocks. It never lets me down!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Another image copier and more.

Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Macrium Reflect Rocks. It never lets me down!
    Thanks for tip re Seagate. For some time I've been happily using Minitools Partition Wizard Free. It copies whole partitions or disks and does much more. It's not for extracting individual content from a disk or partition, however. http://www.partitionwizard.com/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another plus one for Macrium, after a scary experience with Acronis.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use and like Acronis, but some of its advanced features are not integrated. "Could do better".

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Disc Wizard for a number of years, given that I often purchase Seagate drives for use in my systems. I've seen several changes in the interface and some of the functionality, and have become a little nervous because it becomes more difficult as an occasional user to keep up with where to find the necessary functions. I've only really used it to save system image files for backup purposes or to clone a system to a new hard drive, I don't use if for incremental data backups. Therefore, I wasn't a 'power user', to be clear.

I had occasion to work on a system in which there was no qualifying Seagate or Maxtor drive, so I gave Macrium Reflect Free a try in cloning a new disc for replacement. It was very straightforward, even for a first-time use, and I was impressed with the simplicity. Will be trying it for the second time this weekend, and am hoping that it will perform successfully enough that I make the switch permanently.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Seagate - Well, maybe not any more

I to have been using Seagate drives for a while, however recent experiences mean that I am now looking for a new supplier:
    Problems include:
    To clone a WD 240GB drive to a Seagate 2TB one - software won't install until I have partitlly setup the Seagate drive so the clone facility can see I have a Seagate drive within the OS environment. - so I can clone from a Seagate drive to a new WD, but not from WD to a new Seagate!!
    Despite being specifically set to go from 230+10GB partitions to 500 + 10+ rest left free! the 'Clone' facility setup a 230GB partition and then extended the last partition (FAT restore image) to be the rest of the drive - FAT don't go that big, and the facility wouldn't change, or delete it. - Paragon to the rescue!

Then - drive specs - almost all the drive specs now indicate the drive is good for storing lost of multimedia, and the 'Data sheet' shows that the personal user can get the drives in packs of 4, or a pallet of 256? drives -
    No - speed as in rpm, and data transfer to the surfaces is, according to tech support, proprietary confidential - all I as a user need to know is the drive runs at USB-3 speed!
    Warrantee is limited - and a drive with a build quality for a 1 year warrantee in the USA, gets a 2 year one in the EU (well the EU state that such electronics should be good for 2 years)
    BUT -
    The drive is only good for 2400 hours - Err --- 100 days use in that 1? or 2? year life - great for use as a incremental backup facility such as "File History"
    And a max of 55TB throughput a year - Yea! verilly, I can reuse the 5TB drive 11 times in a year - great for use as a backup for the 500GB OS partition
    And - error expectations 1 in 10^14 bits - now a 5TB drive holds 5 x 10^12 bytes = 4 x 10^13 bits so, my 500GB backup is 4 x 10^12
    Ah! expect one backup in each 25 to be unreadable!

And - when the drive stops working after the 2400 hours use - will I even get an empty one as a replacement for the one with all my backup data on it!

YES - because I will be suing the retailer - it said 2 years on the box!
    And - NO they will not get the drive in a condition where they could recover MY PROPRIETARY CONFIDENTIAL information from the platter surfaces.

Then add to that a 'Support Technician' who, when allowed 'remote' to a test win 10 machine to try sorting out 'Seagate central cloud' access problems, couldn't find the command window 'startup' to run a net query command, or know that for the search you just type in at the start button, and when shown how to get the command window didn't even know the options for net use/

He did, however delete a couple of items from the desktop, and re-arranged my start apps layout, then said he had to discuss the problem with his team leader and would call me back within an hour, and is now 2 days into that hour.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    But then, when I tried to access the main folder where I keep all of my docs, pics, etc., that folder was inaccessible.
    I'm probably way off base but are you certain that the image you were accessing was a full image?

Backup software I have looked at can do different types of backups. From full drive images to differential and incremental. If the image you were looking at was anything other than a full image, then it's possible that the files you wanted to see weren't there. The entire directory structure may have shown, but only those files included in that particular image were accessible.

As for Macrium Reflect, I have both a paid and free version and for most things there's no difference. The only significant difference I could find related to it's ability to backup attached drives. And, by the way, both versions now include a whole new selection of backup options - which I find to be overkill and somewhat annoying.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-01-07 at 09:11.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

tannin (2016-02-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I'm probably way off base but are you certain that the image you were accessing was a full image?

Backup software I have looked at can do different types of backups. From full drive images to differential and incremental. If the image you were looking at was anything other than a full image, then it's possible that the files you wanted to see weren't there. The entire directory structure may have shown, but only those files included in that particular image were accessible.

As for Macrium Reflect, I have both a paid and free version and for most things there's no difference. The only significant difference I could find related to it's ability to backup attached drives. And, by the way, both versions now include a whole new selection of backup options - which I find to be overkill and somewhat annoying.
    Yes, I'm sure it was a full image.

My guess is that DiscWizard either messed up the permissions on the resultant backup file; or they locked it on purpose, because they don't allow me to mount the image as a drive if I have only the free version.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "As for Macrium Reflect, I have both a paid and free version and for most things there's no difference. The only significant difference I could find related to it's ability to backup attached drives. And, by the way, both versions now include a whole new selection of backup options - which I find to be overkill and somewhat annoying."
    Hi Graham I'll bet these are the new options you are talking about! It is a bit overkill but no big deal.
    Capture48.JPG

"they don't allow me to mount the image as a drive if I have only the free version."
    Macrium free lets you mount the image as a drive and you can copy and paste or drag and drop all you want. Time to move to Macrium Reflect IMHO
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-07 at 13:16.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    As for Macrium Reflect, I have both a paid and free version and for most things there's no difference. The only significant difference I could find related to it's ability to backup attached drives.
    Macrium paid has item level recovery and the ability to create incremental images....free does not.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "Macrium paid has item level recovery and the ability to create incremental images....free does not."
    Not sure what level recovery is, but I never cared for incremental images. I like a new full image every time. That's the way I learned, and I'm hard to change. I have plenty of free space on my external HD.
    http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50143.aspx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

tannin (2016-02-23)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast