Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Upgrade to Windows 10 [Mobile]

I just completed the upgrade to Windows 10 1511 10.0.10586.29 via Windows Insider. I feel relatively comfortable with the version on the new Nokia phones. The process was about an hour give or take. I haven't checked everything out yet, but so far so good. I'm off this week, so I can revert if it tries to go south on me.

Posted this with my Windows 10 Nokia Lumia 1520.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-04)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Let us know how it goes, especially how stable you find it and how apps behave. If there is something I am looking with some anticipation is the mobile version. I have a middle of the road Lumia, but I really enjoy it and I do want to see how Windows 10 behaves there.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I'll do that. The upgrade reset most of my settings back to default; I had to opt back in to location/GPS, elect to use Cortana, allow Outlook to fetch my email, etc. and personalize stuff again, but so far everything I've tried is working. I didn't lose any of my personal files. One Note was blank and had to be re-enabled, but then it gathered all my One Note files together. I have a 64GB micro-SD card for pictures and music, docs and such, and those are all easily accessible. The UI is Windows 10 once you tap a tile, which are also Windows 10. Most are transparent, but internet shortcuts are not; they're just blue tiles with a name.

It may be a little snappier than 8.1 was. I'll get a better feel for that as I use it more.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2016-01-04)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great, thanks .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You should be getting build 10.0.10586.36. It is a cumulative update. I was running 10586.29 the day after it was released December 4 until December 17 when 10586.36 was released. Both releases have been very stable. Not experienced any OS or app failure. I'm also running it on 1520. I have a 32GB micro SD card for pics, music, docs, etc. I have noticed that sometimes building the start screen is a bit slow. The speed of resuming apps is inconsistent too. I don't recall my settings being reset with either release. That may be because I had been upgrading from a prior Insider release.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2016-01-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You should be getting build 10.0.10586.36.
    10586.36 apparently was made available overnight. When I checked for updates this morning, I got the notice that it was available and a restart was scheduled. I just selected "Restart now" as I began typing this; it's finishing the download now.

Not experienced any OS or app failure. I'm also running it on 1520. I have a 32GB micro SD card for pics, music, docs, etc. I have noticed that sometimes building the start screen is a bit slow. The speed of resuming apps is inconsistent too. I don't recall my settings being reset with either release. That may be because I had been upgrading from a prior Insider release.
    I only use half a dozen or so apps, but I've noticed that a "closed" app isn't really closed, it's in the background. If I tap and hold the "Back" button, I get a drop-back screen that shows every open app, with the one I'm currently using at top left. From that screen I can either fully close an app with "X", or tap it and bring it to the foreground, where it seems to be immediately responsive.

I've not experienced any negative aspects so far, and there is a noticeable "crispness" to the OS. When I tap the menu button, the menu snaps onto the screen. Apps (the handful that I use) load quickly and are immediately responsive. So far, I would say everything is as good as or better than 8.1.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-01-05 at 08:07. Reason: spelling

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The upgrade to 10586.36 took less than 10 minutes, and part of that was "Migrating your data". I haven't had to reset my preferences; Cortana is still functional, etc. Yesterday when I had to select "Use Cortana", it wasn't necessary for me to go back through the voice training. I just said, "Hey Cortana" and there she was.

Some of the tiles on my Start Menu have changed back to (or similar to) the 8.1 tiles. Photos has returned to it's former "Live" status, Mail has reverted to the envelope instead of the Outlook logo. No change in the internet shortcuts; still just labeled blue tiles. I'll update as I get more usage under my belt.

Forgot to mention yesterday that making and receiving calls hasn't changed other than the UI. My custom ring tones for some of my contacts (which is to say that I don't have custom ringtones for ALL my contacts) were unaffected by the upgrade. It appears that the telephony wasn't fiddled with at all, other than UI appearance changes.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-01-05 at 16:42. Reason: added info, clarity

Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Cool, nice info . I am on a busy schedule and haven't had the chance to delve into this at other places, but it's great to get feedback of people who can be trusted as you both are. You're almost making me want to jump into the Insider program .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Would any of you subscribe to the view here: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/feat...ile_is_rea.php

Basically, the text is about labelling the new Lumia 950 / 950 XL as developer devices, because the OS is not really stable enough, besides specific issues with the hardware (and oh, of course, there are not enough apps, don't really know how I have happily managed with a Windows phone for the last 3 years or so...).

They are not suspected of being biased as the site is All About Windows Phone...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I think it is an over reaction because so many "experts" talked themselves into believing that the 950/950XL were going to be superphones that would revive the Windows Mobile space. They are good phones which I think are over priced. There is some absolutely top notch stuff in there with Continuum, Windows Hello, the camera. They are very light and typical Lumia solid. From what I've seen, which is only a few minutes at a Microsoft store, they just don't measure up to the finish of the other top phones. If I were in the market for a higher end Windows Phone I'd get one of these provided I could find a deal with $50 - $100 less than what has been generally listed.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I think it is an over reaction because so many "experts" talked themselves into believing that the 950/950XL were going to be superphones that would revive the Windows Mobile space. They are good phones which I think are over priced. There is some absolutely top notch stuff in there with Continuum, Windows Hello, the camera. They are very light and typical Lumia solid. From what I've seen, which is only a few minutes at a Microsoft store, they just don't measure up to the finish of the other top phones. If I were in the market for a higher end Windows Phone I'd get one of these provided I could find a deal with $50 - $100 less than what has been generally listed.

Joe
    Thanks, Joe .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Here is a video show-and-tell that also contains a link to a written review of the 950. And, I agree with Joe per that other review.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-01-05 at 23:03.

Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Any news on the new windows 10 is come out ???

Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Any news on the new windows 10 is come out ???

Dave
    It is said to start by the end of this month and it will take a few months to be installed in all the supported phone models.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast