3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB for Win 10 ISO

Just a quick question. I don't intend to downgrade from Win 7 any time soon, but if MS pulls the plug on Win 7 before Himself up there pulls the plug on me (being well past the Biblical "three score and ten" it could be a close run thing!), I'd be really ticked off having to pay for yet another license. So what size thumb drive is needed to create a Win 10 ISO? And one other thing...128Gig drives are going for $27, could I add all the set-up files for the programs I use to the same drive and do a clean install?

David

jwoods
    A 16 GB flash drive should be enough for the ISO.

You could add all of your downloadable installers to a removable hard drive.

That's how I have mine stored.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2016-01-05)

Thanks
    You'll need a blank USB thumb drive with at least 4 Gb of space if you're going to install either the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 10.

If you're going to create an installer with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 then you'll need a blank USB thumb drive with at least 8 Gb of space.

Have a look at How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 for more info and step-by-step instructions.

Hope this helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2016-01-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies. I do have a lot of set-up files on a thumb drive, just one thing I'm not clear on. Could I add these to the same thumb drive that I have the ISO on? For instance could I partition a 128GB thumb drive and have the ISO on one partition, set-ups on another?

David

Thanks
    Ummm... yes and no. When you create the bootable USB thumb drive it will wipe out everything on the thumb drive first of all. However, after the bootable USB thumb drive has been created with the Windows 10 installer files on it then there's nothing to stop you from copying other installers to it, for example by creating a folder called something like 'other installs' and copying them into the folder. You don't need to mess about with seperate partitions.

(A 128 Gb thumb drive is a bit overkill for a Windows 10 bootable installer, in my opinion. )

Hope this helps...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2016-01-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While it hasn't been stated explicitly, I believe you have to have made the upgrade before the year is out to get it free. Just having downloaded the upgrade isn't adequate.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2016-01-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason for using a large capacity thumb drive is that I travel quite a bit. I once had to do open-case surgery on a laptop to replace a drive when I was halfway up a volcano in Indonesia, and all I had was a Swiss Army penknife. So to have a Windows installation, plus assorted other installers on one small gizmo would be to have a belt and braces (suspenders to Americans). I still have that knife, wouldn't leave home without it. I've also used Image for Linux to make one of these 128GB thumb drives bootable, and I have an image of the system drive on it too. (I keep C drive lean!)

As far as upgrading to Win 10 before the cut-off, I'll install it on a spare drive that I have, then put it back in its box, and it'll stay there until Win 7 becomes un-usable.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    While it hasn't been stated explicitly, I believe you have to have made the upgrade before the year is out to get it free. Just having downloaded the upgrade isn't adequate.
    I'm going strictly on memory here, but I believe the free upgrade will be available through about the end of July, 2016. I want to say July 23 or so.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog
    I'm going strictly on memory here, but I believe the free upgrade will be available through about the end of July, 2016. I want to say July 23 or so.
    Close... it's July 29.

However, just in case MS' download servers are swamped by late adopters (despite Win 10's default use of P2P to share bandwidth from users' own PC's in order to reduce MS's own bandwidth), it may be prudent to 'upgrade' a few days or even a week earlier.

In my opinion, there's an argument that it may be best to upgrade now so that any eligible devices are 'registered' for Win 10 with MS' servers... then revert back for the time being until Win 10 matures.

Just be aware that some folks have had problems both upgrading to Win 10 and/or reverting to earlier eligible versions of Windows. In my opinion the crux of the matter is whether you want to allow time to sort out any potential problems now or whether you want to wait until the last possible moment. It's a difficult choice.

(It reminds me of a scene in a Dirty Harry film ... "So do you feel lucky, punk?". Sorry but... this is how I feel Microsoft currently treats users of their consumer OS products...)

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-01-11 at 10:46.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post

(It reminds me of a scene in a Dirty Harry film ... "So do you feel lucky, punk?". Sorry but... this is how I feel Microsoft currently treats users of their consumer OS products...)

Hope this helps...
    So.. I gots to know..

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy
    So.. I gots to know..
    I know what you're thinking... did they release 6 builds or only five. To tell you the truth, in all this excitement (not), I kinda lost track myself. But being that this is Windows 10, the most aggressively-hyped OS in the world and would blow your bandwidth clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question... Do I feel pressurised?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Well, do ya punk!"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Be sure to make an image of your systme before doing the Win10 upgrade. It will be interesting it after reverting and when Win7 support "dies" in early 2020, if the system will take an activated copy of Win10 from pre-2016. Nothing lost if it doesn't. Of course the push will be on to upgrade to Windows 13.