4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need advice on movie making program

I have a bunch of JPEG's from a recent trip that I'd like to burn as a video slideshow (i.e., a movie playable on my TV via a DVD player). The pictures are excellent quality, from a good camera, and show up very well on my computer monitor.

I tried burning a movie using Windows Live Movie Maker (included with Windows 7 Pro), but the picture quality was severely deteriorated when I burned the DVD (noticeably blurry). I also tried burning a DVD slideshow just using Windows DVD Maker (also included with my OS), with the same results.

Additionally, another problem occurs with either program. I use IrfanView as my default picture viewer. When I open the folder that has the photos, and display them as icons, some of the photos that I took in portrait mode (i.e., with the camera rotated vertically) show the icons in landscape mode (that is, the icons display sideways). However, these pictures are shown in the proper orientation when I open them with IrfanView (or Photoshop, or Paint Shop Pro). In some cases, I can correct the icon orientation using the JPG Lossless Rotation option in IrfanView, but in some cases, this doesn't work (although, as I mentioned, even when the icon displays incorrectly, the full photo displays correctly with IrfanView). However, none of the Windows programs (Windows DVD Maker, Windows Live Movie Maker, Windows Live Photo Gallery, or Windows Photo Viewer) displays these photos in the proper orientation. This, of course, is unacceptable in a slide show or movie.

Sorry about the long dissertation, but this leads me to my question: can you recommend a program that will allow me burn a slide show as a movie, without the photo quality deterioration or orientation issues that I'm experiencing? I'd prefer freeware program (if it exists), but would consider purchasing a program if I could confirm that it will do what I want.

Thanks for your help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, you hire a director. I hear that Spielberg and Lucas are both available, though cost may be an issue! Tarantino and del Toro used to be bargains but they are getting expensive too. I'd go with an up-and-comer, like Polly.

Thanks
    Have a look at Microsoft Photo Story 3. It's old but apparently works with Windows 8.1... don't know about Windows 10.

Alternatively, try DVD Slideshow GUI. It has a lot of features and, like Microsoft Photo Story 3, is free.

My Dad used to use PicturesToExe many years ago and was very pleased with the results. I've just checked and see it's up to v8 now. However, it's quite expensive, especially the Deluxe edition.

Hope this helps...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    For the pictures that are oriented incorrectly (Irfanview and others probably correct automatically) you'll have to physically turn them as they should be. There is probably a setting in Irfanview to not auto-correct orientation so you can see them as they are and turn them appropriately.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies.

BHarder, yours seems to be the ideal technical solution. However, I doubt that it comes under the Freeware category, and I also doubt that it would do exactly what I want, given egos and the like.

Rick, I'll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks.

F.U.N., I'm not aware of the IrfanView setting that you mention, but I'll certainly look for it. Meanwhile, I've found a work-around. If I move the mis-oriented file to my desktop, and then use IrfanView's JPG lossless rotation function, the photo icon still stays mis-oriented. However, if I then drag the photo into a new empty folder, the icon now shows correctly (damned if I know why). I can then drag the photo anywhere I want and the icon maintains the correct orientation. The awkward workflow is a PIA, but it appears to get the job done.

I've also been in touch with Wondershare tech support, and they suggest that I download their trial version of DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe for a free 30-day test ($49.00 to buy a lifetime license if it works for me), so I think I'll give it a try. Does anyone here have some personal experience with this program?

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For several years I have been using a wondershare program, Video converter. I have been impressed by the program.