5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tools and tips for getting faster PC boots

LANGALIST PLUS

Tools and tips for getting faster PC boots

By Fred Langa

It's a problem as old as Windows itself; over time, a PC's startup time slowly but inevitably increases. Here's why and what you can do about it. Plus: Identifying a mystery update for an unrecognized "document converter" and a favorite financial-planning app fails under Win10.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/tools-and-tips-for-getting-faster-pc-boots/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Favorite financial app dies in Win10" -- but not MS Money 3!

Regarding the "Favorite financial app dies in Win10" part of your column, just thought I'd let you know I've been using the prehistoric MS Money 3 (Copyright 1991-1994) since 1993, starting with Windows 3.1, and am still using it today with Windows 10. Over the years I tried subsequent versions of MS Money, but found it's increase "sophistication" taking it away from it's core usefulness to me, so always ended up reverting back to version 3. I particularly like the ability to choose any selection of the various accounts I have set up to see the amalgamated value of just those accounts, or that of all the accounts. Each year, I am able to print out a fully report of all my transactions and to create intricate special reports of my own choosing, etc. Along the way, only one anomaly developed: in the "balance account" starting screen the fillable fields for Interest and Bank charges, instead of defaulting to "0.00", default to "ALC<402c>", so that before I can continue I have to manually replace ALC<402c> with 0.00. Great little program that does just what I want and provides me all the information I need regarding my finances. I still have the original floppy disks, as well as the program files saved to Skydrive -- Nick S.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still mourn the loss of Managing Your Money, which was also a Windows 3 era program. They never converted it to 32-bit but it was a great little program.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Favorite financial app dies in Win10"
    Fred states that:
    There's really no other alternative. Again, Microsoft stopped working on its MS Money code in 2009; there are no fixes or patches that will keep the 2009 version — or your ancient 2003 version — safe and compatible with current Windows
    I maintain an entire blogsite devoted to keeping Microsoft Money going with Windows and although you mention changing to different programs, I maintain that no other program compares with Microsoft Money.
    There is a dll patch available on my site needed for Windows 8 and Windows 10 as well as a registry setting that may need to be changed for Windows 10, that keeps this great program going for many years to come (I hope).
    Last edited by ameridan; 2016-01-08 at 17:04.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No equivalent replacement for MSMoney

I have to agree with other posters here -- there is nothing on the market today that compares to what Microsoft Money offers, even in its "Sunset Edition." Quicken? I wish it was, but Intuit's desire to sell off the Quicken unit isn't a good sign, and support forum comments on Quicken's 2016 editions suggest that Quicken resources have already been diminished. That's not a good sign.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to derogers31 For This Useful Post:

ameridan (2016-01-09)