View Poll Results: Are/were you a lifetime subscriber?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 20.00%
  • No

4 80.00%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Coming changes to the Windows Secrets newsletter

INTRODUCTION

Coming changes to the Windows Secrets newsletter

By Tracey Capen

Back in mid-October, I wrote the Windows Secrets would be going through a number of changes. Next week, we’re launching Windows Secrets 2.0, an update of your favorite newsletter with a new format and expanded coverage. Here’s what’s changing.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/introduction/coming-changes-to-the-windows-secrets-newsletter/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2016-01-06 at 17:33.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the clear information about the changes. I'll go have a look at the supersite, as I haven't been there before so it'll be interesting to trawl through there (I hope!).
    One ball that seems to have been dropped from your article though, concerning mobile technology, is the Windows Phone platform. I'm a WP user and wouldn't want to go back to Android, and certainly wouldn't want to voluntarily enter Apple's ecosystem either (been there, tried that, and I'm out of there). Would you please consider making the Windows Secrets or SuperSite app available on the Windows Phone platform too? Without a WP app, the other apps would be useless to me.
    Thanks for considering this.
    Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Guess it won't be a big issue for me, the free subscription I used to get hasn't shown up the last couple of months.

jwoods
    The LangaList and Patch Watch columns alone are worth $25 US a year.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have read it again, but cannot find what the future holds for my "lifetime" subscription, which lasts until 2207-07-11 - heaven forfend that this should be an accurate estimate of my lifetime.

The fact that this has been obfuscated suggests that the answer may be unattractive, i.e. that Penton publications group is going to be looking for more money from me. Please, though, just spell it out!

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

barrym (2016-01-07),brettlam (2016-01-11),gknola (2016-01-07),JohnS0603 (2016-03-30),LGHanley (2016-01-15),Lugh (2016-01-17),Mr Humbug (2016-01-09),rbailin (2016-01-07),Timmer (2016-01-07),WarningU2 (2016-01-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't worry, you'll have 200 years to sort it out, approx.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    I have read it again, but cannot find what the future holds for my "lifetime" subscription, which lasts until 2207-07-11 - heaven forfend that this should be an accurate estimate of my lifetime.

The fact that this has been obfuscated suggests that the answer may be unattractive, i.e. that Penton publications group is going to be looking for more money from me. Please, though, just spell it out!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dweebken For This Useful Post:

brettlam (2016-01-11)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hate to be pessimistic, but this looks like a lot less for more money demanded.

Only time will prove this to be a true assessment of not.

BTW: I too am a WP user, and note it's lack of support which surprises considering the "Windows" basis of the newsletter

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Donchik For This Useful Post:

dweebken (2016-01-08),JohnS0603 (2016-03-30),ppascoe (2016-02-10)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well while I understand all of these changes for the reason's that are obvious I'm not a fan of this. When independent entities start combining forces for the betterment of all it often often doesn't work out the way people hope it will. Getting combined into a large business, while hoping for the same independence, often doesn't happen. These decisions are made primarily for monetary reasons. I've been a paid member for years here and will continue to, this is a great place. Hopefully these changes will be smooth and not veer into something that gets away from the original intent, from Langa to Secrets to.....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James S For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2016-04-29),JohnS0603 (2016-03-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    Well while I understand all of these changes for the reason's that are obvious I'm not a fan of this. When independent entities start combining forces for the betterment of all it often often doesn't work out the way people hope it will. Getting combined into a large business, while hoping for the same independence, often doesn't happen. These decisions are made primarily for monetary reasons.
    Agree

I've been a paid member for years here and will continue to, this is a great place.
    No decision on this, yet, depends on the deal.

Hopefully these changes will be smooth and not veer into something that gets away from the original intent, from Langa to Secrets to.....
    Again, agreed

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What's most important to me are the forums, but it's not clear to me where they are going to land. I see newsletters , tips and tutorials, etc., etc are to be a part of Windows Secrets 2.0, but what about The Lounge? Will the forums and all the messages stay? Those items are important to me running three different versions of Windows.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeachesP For This Useful Post:

JeffErickson (2016-01-07),john23 (2016-01-14),JohnS0603 (2016-03-30),LGHanley (2016-01-15),pressed4time (2016-01-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Bad Move.

Really? 25.00 Strong arm or nothing? I have been a loyal reader and subscriber for years; you should stick to the current subscription policy. As much as I love the column at 25.00 I will be gone. You guys have a great thing going.
    Don't mess it up. Sorry to hear about it, I guess I'll be doing a little more TechNet reading instead.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Breemania For This Useful Post:

colinsw (2016-01-28),genej313 (2016-02-20),JohnS0603 (2016-03-30),ppascoe (2016-02-10),Travasaurus (2016-01-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It 'seems' the base subscription rate will be $25/yr. Honestly, not really happy about that. I've been subscribing for years at the 'suggested contribution' and find the content most worthwhile at that rate. Now that a 'corporate colossus' has the reins, I'll probably have to continue my education elsewhere. In all candor, the only real value I found here that I couldn't find anywhere else was Susan Bradley's report on Windows updates to 'avoid' for a while. Saved me endless hours of repairs. So... if you can split her column off I'll gladly 'contribute' for just that!

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartyHs For This Useful Post:

colinsw (2016-01-28),JohnS0603 (2016-03-30),LGHanley (2016-01-15),rbailin (2016-01-07),wooly (2016-01-08)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The changes to Windows Secrets include moving to twice-a-week publishing and a new format that will make it easier to view the newsletter on mobile devices. Sending out newsletters more frequently will let you, our readers, receive interesting information sooner if breaking news comes out on Thurday afternoon, you won't have to wait a week to get it!
    Twice a week will be too much for me. I take the time to read all of current Windows Secrets now because of the bi weekly timing. I doubt I will make it such a priority twice a week.
    Also, I certainly don't expect breaking news from Windows Secrets, I expect in depth articles. I get breaking news from news sites, not newsletters.

That said, Windows is no longer part of a closed ecosystem. Many Windows users also carry Apple and Android tablets and phones. Linux is finding its way into many common networking devices such as routers and network-attached storage. So we'll also broaden our coverage of the entire personal-computing environment
    Are you kidding me? You're going to cover apple, linux, etc? Are you going to change your name to Computing Secrets? I will wait and see what these changes look like, but I don't like what I'm hearing.
    I'm sure you will find out in the long run if these changes increase or decrease or customer base, or revenue, or whatever measure you use. Your subscribers will vote with their feet (and wallets).

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dalejanus For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2016-03-30),LGHanley (2016-01-15),Lugh (2016-01-17),ppascoe (2016-02-10),snissen0 (2016-01-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What about those of us who paid the one time fee a number of years ago for a life-time subscription? I would expect that you would still honor that, but you don't mention it. Please let us know. Thanks.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pat M For This Useful Post:

dweebken (2016-01-08),Lugh (2016-01-17),vaughan-AMD (2016-01-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm most bothered by the set subscription rate. I've been paying what I thought was reasonable for the content that I used, but not all content is useful. This is particularly true now that the focus is on Windows 10, and I plan to stay with 7 until I get a new PC, perhaps as late as 2017.

I think I have some time left on my subscription, so I guess I'll be able to evaluate whether I want to pay more. (Right?)

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast