New Lounger
    Thanks

'Start' and batch files

I just upgraded 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro (using 'keep nothing' and reinstalling all apps & data). I have several batch files that I had pinned to Start8 in 8.1. But I can't find a way to pin them to the new Windows 10 Start menu. If I drag the file, or a shortcut to the file, to the Start tile it says 'pin to Start menu', but nothing happens if I 'drop' it there. If I drag it back over the now-displayed Start area, it always puts a 'no way' sign on the icon and there is nowhere in the area that I can drop it.

I suppose I could write a Visual Basic program to start batch files and pin that but it seems a bit ridiculous.

Maybe I'm missing something.

John.

jwoods
    You might find this How-To Geek article helpful...

http://www.howtogeek.com/197836/8-wa...10-start-menu/

See the section "Adding Control Panel and Special Items to the Left Side of the Start Menu".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

johninkle (2016-01-07)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    John,

Or you could drop shortcuts to those batch files into a folder then create a new toolbar by right-clicking on the task bar and selecting Toolbars -> New toolbar... and selecting that folder. Works for me...YMMV! Or use Classic Shell.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    What worked for me:
    Create a shortcut of the batchfile, then it will allow you to pin it to the start menu.
    You can even delete the shortcut after you've pined it to the start menu.

You might, in some instances, have to right click on the batch you've just place, select more, then run it as administrator.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Based on the article you referenced, I made a shortcut to the batch file, and placed it in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Start Menu\Programs. This added it to the All Apps list in Start, and then I could pin it to the panel, click it, and start the batch file.

John.