Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    System Volume information on datapartition. No restore, No index but 16 % of disk

    I have a C - partition with programs and restore point. (after clean install SVI- folder is small. And a data-partition (820 GB) with no restore point, no indexing, no real time back-ups. But the SVI is 152 Giga. In all treads about the SVI, the advice is to reduce the system restore. but that does not apply to my case and question.
    1 - can I delete SVI safely and if yes HOW ?
    2 will windows (win 10 pro) recreate the folder after deletion? and what will be in it, if no restore points or index applies ?
    3 : Can it be done on the c-drive safely too (with manual creating restorepoint afterwards of course) (on another machine the SVI on C is growing fast too (I clean up restore points regularly- no indexing.)
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this ?
    Ferdinand

  2. #2
    jwoods
    Guest
    You can't delete System Volume Information.

    Reduce the size reserved for Shadow Copies and Restore points.

    Clean up both Shadow Copies and old Restore points using Disk Cleanup > More Options > System Restore and Shadow Copies.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-07 at 11:03.

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You can't delete System Volume Information.

    Reduce the size reserved for Shadow Copies and Restore points.

    Clean up both Shadow Copies and old Restore points using Disk Cleanup > More Options > System Restore and Shadow Copies.
    Thanks for your good intentions, but this is exactly my problem: there are no RESTORE points !!!!! etc. I have used cleanmgr already, no result (of course)
    I have seen this answer everywhere and it does not apply to my D-partition without restorepoints .
    Please is there anybody who understands what is happening in this 152 GIGA. ??
    Last edited by dieten; 2016-01-08 at 04:25.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts
    Are you able to right click on the partition and select Properties to see if it has its own Disk Cleanup option ?

    While the info in the 4th post in this article is for an external HDD, you may be able to apply it to your data partition.

    http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...nal-drive.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-01-08 at 04:52.

  5. #5
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Are you able to right click on the partition and select Properties to see if it has its own Disk Cleanup option ?

    While the info in the 4th post in this article is for an external HDD, you may be able to apply it to your data partition.

    http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...nal-drive.html
    I personally would not try that solution without doing a disk image backup first.

  6. #6
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dieten View Post
    Thanks for your good intentions, but this is exactly my problem: there are no RESTORE points !!!!! etc. I have used cleanmgr already, no result (of course)
    I have seen this answer everywhere and it does not apply to my D-partition without restorepoints .
    Please is there anybody who understands what is happening in this 152 GIGA. ??
    I would turn off System Protection temporarily, and then turn it back on. That should reduce the size of System Volume Information considerably and give you a clean slate.

    Doing it on mine reduced the size to 31.4 MB.

    Manually create a restore point.

    Download Piriform's CCleaner and use it to monitor when System Restore points are created.

    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

    You'll find restore points in CCleaner using Tools > System Restore.

    If they do not coincide with the daily scheduled task, a program you have installed, or Windows Update, I would start checking for malware.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-08 at 16:21. Reason: Added link to CCleaner.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •