New Lounger
    Thanks

Gmail attachment issue in Thunderbird

I use Thunderbird for my email at home. I have 4 email addresses and it works like a charm, with one exception. When an email comes in on my gmail account that includes an attachment, the attachment doesn't come through. There is no error, and there is a .dat attachment, but the real attachment (.docx, .xlsx, etc.) doesn't come through. If I send the same email to one of my other addresses, it works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Works for me with TB and gmail.
    I'm using IMAP. Apart from that I don't seem to have anything special.

cheers, Paul

jwoods
    Check that the character encodings for your outgoing mail is using Western (ISO-8859-1).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for both your replies, but no joy. I just tested it again and the email to my alternate (non-gmail) address had the xlsx attachment. The gmail one (the same email was sent to both addresses from the same address), had a winmail.dat attachment only.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcfarron View Post
    Thanks for both your replies, but no joy. I just tested it again and the email to my alternate (non-gmail) address had the xlsx attachment. The gmail one (the same email was sent to both addresses from the same address), had a winmail.dat attachment only.
    In Thunderbird > Tools > Options > Composition > Send Options, what format do you have selected?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    send the message in both plain text and html. Just to clarify, attachments sent from the gmail account are fine. It's attachments sent to that account that fail. Thanks again for your trying to help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This sounds like a problem addressed in the following forum question:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l-dat-problems

The issue is not so much how Thunderbird is configured. It's more of the format the sender of the particular email used. Basically, if an Outlook user sends an email formatted as RTF the winmail.dat issue comes up for non-Outlook recipients. If the sender sends it as an HTML or plain text the attachments come across fine. See if the other thread doesn't help you figure out a solution. There also might be a Thunderbird extension that would help.