Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live email lost when upgrading IE9 to IE11 on Win7 SP1 x64 Home premium

I installed the upgrade from IE 9 t0 IE 11 today, from MS update, apparently without problems, until I found out that my Windows Live email is gone. There are still four Windows Live (WL) files in my installed file (removal) list: WL Essentials, WL sign-in assistant, WL synch, and WL upload tool, but no icon, favorites, contacts, etc.

I backed everything up and generated an image and repair disk, but hate to go back through all that if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks, Gary

jwoods
    Microsoft announced a few weeks ago that there were changes coming regarding Windows Live Mail...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyle...les-it-anyway/

If you got IE 11 through Windows Update, the update that is discussed in the article may have been installed as well (check your update history).

You could try...

1. Downloading and re-installing Windows Essentials.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials

2. Restoring from your disk image and downloading IE 11 manually.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...7-details.aspx
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-07 at 15:27. Reason: Added download links.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

gpeyton (2016-01-08)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed IE11 manually ok as an upgrade to IE9 on both my machines a couple of weeks ago. It didn't affect my Windows Live Mail although I'm running the 2011 version of that which is no longer supported so I'm still mulling over the best way of dealing with that given that I only use WLM for my ISP email account.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

gpeyton (2016-01-08)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I had lost my old emails and contacts, I tried fiddling with the parts of WLmail that remained, but no success. Late in the evening I decided to sleep on it before going back to the image. Came in to put it in sleep and found that Windows Live mail was fixed and running. Still OK this morning. Any idea how this happened? I have Windows update set on "notify me but don't download", and I'm pretty sure that it was nothing that I did. Only the same four related programs. I should have noted the version.

Back on 8/26/15 WLMail quit receiving email then appeared to have fixed itself two days later. On 11/4/15 WLMail would not open. Shut down and tried 10+ minutes later. It finally opened after several tries in administrative account. Is WLMail just flakey, or do these events coordinate with problems such as were mentioned by jwoods above?

Thanks to jwoods and Tandor for their above replies. Should I be considering a different email program? I like the calendar and other features of WLMail, and I don't like or need Outlook at all.

Gary