5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to stop Windows 10 forcing itself onto PCs Microsoft's guide

I placed this here because it seems more relevant than the Win10 spot. But if the moderators disagree, please move. It is equally relevant in the Windows 8 spot as well tough it effects far more Win7 users (who are in greater numbers).

Confirmed: How to stop Windows 10 forcing itself onto PCs – your essential guide

by Iain Thomson
    The Register
    Jan. 8, 2016

.... Microsoft will start pushing out a Windows 10 upgrade as a recommended, virtually mandatory, update very soon .... It's actually rather easy to turn off the Windows 10 upgrade function without losing vital regular software updates. Microsoft even has an official document explaining how to do it....

1. Open the Registry Editor (search for regedit in the Start Menu and run it).
    2. Set DisableOSUpgrade to 1 in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date
    3. Set ReservationsAllowed to 0 in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

.... [Read the full article at this link] Article includes automated script links for those who are uncomfortable editing the registry and comments for corporate Windows users.

If you have used GWX Control Panel it has already made these two changes for you. I confirmed this.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-01-08 at 07:16. Reason: confirmed GWX

jwoods
    I think GWX Control Panel is safer for the average user.

Editing the registry is always a risk.

I noticed the article did not mention backing up the registry first before making the changes.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I think GWX Control Panel is safer....
    agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I noticed the article did not mention backing up the registry first before making the changes.
    true

I was more taken aback, but not surprised, by "Microsoft will start pushing out a Windows 10 upgrade as a recommended, virtually mandatory, update very soon"

jwoods
    They announced that a couple of months ago.

See the section "Windows 10 and Windows Update"

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...to-windows-10/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi This is my first up grade. Yes I'm just a cub. I've only had a computer sense 2004. I started with XP. I heard all the bitching about VISTA. I never had VISTA. Said I would die with my XP. Well I did die with it and my new Toshiba laptop had W7. I learned to love W7. Windows 8 came out and I heard a lot of bitching about it and I think it deserved every bitch. Said I would die with my W7. Then W10 upgrade came out ; what the hay, W10 upgrade is free, I'll get it a look. Now I guess I'll die with W10. I could roll back to W7, but I see no reason to do that at this moment. It's just natural to resist changes, but they happen and we either except them and go along with the change or bitch about them. That's OK to gripe. If you don't like W10 roll back.
    Those are my thoughts tonight!

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    • Open the Registry Editor (search for regedit in the Start Menu and run it).
    • Set DisableOSUpgrade to 1 in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date
    • Set ReservationsAllowed to 0 in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate\OSUpgrade
    Apparently, it takes more than just 2 registry hacks...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/302...html?nsdr=true
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-09 at 02:02. Reason: Formatting.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    It's just natural to resist changes, but they happen and we either except them and go along with the change or bitch about them. That's OK to gripe. If you don't like W10 roll back.
    For many people, it's more than just "going along with the change"...it has caused major disruptions and money down the drain (talk to @macropod about his experience) as a result.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...84#post1039384

Some rollbacks to the previous version did not work either.

Take a stroll through the Windows 10 forum...you'll see real people with real problems.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-09 at 02:06. Reason: Added thread post link.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods! I don't wish to cause any major problems about this. I'm sure there have been some major problems. As I stated this always happens with these upgrades. Ask me about getting my health insurance straighten after ACA. That was a total nightmare. For some it went well. For me it took two phone calls and eight hours on the phone. I have upgraded several PC's and had very minor issues. It's a bad deal, but there are going to be some bad experiences. I don't know the percentage of bad upgrades. I'm sure there are several. I just stated my experience which has been very good. It's good that members can come on the forum and talk about their problems with W10. It's also good when members talk about good experiences and that's what I did in my reply. No place in my reply did I say real people aren't having real problems. I hope we can help some of them. I'm sure MS will have to step up to the plate and fix their problems. I'm sure there will be some law suits. That's all I have to say about this. I have already had to apologize to one member here. People need to back up before doing a major change and MS makes that very clear. Is that enough?? Of course not. I agree this should not be forced on anyone. MS says you can opt out. Some say that's true. Some say it's not. I don't know?
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-09 at 12:11.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    agreed

true

I was more taken aback, but not surprised, by "Microsoft will start pushing out a Windows 10 upgrade as a recommended, virtually mandatory, update very soon"
    The statement "virtually mandatory" is nothing but click bait. In versions prior to 10, there are no mandatory updates, real or virtual. Period.

Of course, for those for which Windows is configured to automatically install updates, this can be a problem and it is a shame that Microsoft chooses to do so. I am sure it will create problems for many users.

Cautious users, however, will not have updates set to install automatically. Those will be safe, if they choose to uncheck the Windows upgrade update, which they should, if they want to avoid it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I think MS has explained the options well in this link. Are all their statements true?? I don't know.
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...to-windows-10/
    Is this not a true statement? If not then MS has major problems and better get ready for some big time law suits!
    "Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue. And of course, if you choose to upgrade, then you will have 31 days to roll"

Thanks
    MS's latest version: How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options

Article ID: 3080351 - Last Review: 01/13/2016 22:30:00 - Revision: 4.0