Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Random loss of HDD space

Hi, I'm new here. I was hoping someone could help with an issue I'm having. I'm running out of space on my hard drive so I've been doing what I can to clear it up. Yesterday I deleted some files and programs and was able to clear up about 15gbs. My capacity showed this as well (I was in the blue instead of red). But about an hour later my capacity showed red again (only 33gbs left). I wasn't even using my computer during the time and I checked to make sure the programs and files i removed were still gone (they were). I also checked for registry errors and that didn't help either. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, I have tried restarting it as well.
    Last edited by v3nge; 2016-01-08 at 09:32.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Treesize Free to see what is eating all the space. Once you know that you will have more success finding the culprit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

v3nge (2016-01-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That helped clear up some space, but I still don't understand how my computer lost 10 or 15 gbs of space while I wasn't even using it...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On a couple of occasions, this has been found to have been caused by Volume Shadow Copies and removing them using Extended Disk Cleanup restored the capacity, but have a look through Task Scheduler to see what is happening behind your back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-extended.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

v3nge (2016-01-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That may have been the issue. I just did the extended cleanup and it cleared up about 18 gbs. Thanks for the help everyone.

jwoods
    You might find this How-To Geek article helpful...

http://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-wa...ce-on-windows/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Not sure I would mess with duplicate file finder. I have had a bad experience with that. There are times that duplicate files are necessary. Unless you know what you're doing best leave that alone. Those are my thoughts!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Hi Not sure I would mess with duplicate file finder. I have had a bad experience with that. There are times that duplicate files are necessary. Unless you know what you're doing best leave that alone. Those are my thoughts!
    I agree especially for the Windows Folder and its subFolders. I use Easy Duplicate Finder now and then but have it set NOT to look at the file name, seems to do a better job of finding actual duplicates. Also keep in mind that a Folder or subFolder cannot hold 2 files of the exact same name, one has to be at least one character different from the other.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Also keep in mind that a Folder or subFolder cannot hold 2 files of the exact same name, one has to be at least one character different from the other.
    Not sure where you got that information...

I just added a file from a parent folder to a subfolder, and now have 2 files with the exact same name.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Not sure where you got that information...

I just added a file from a parent folder to a subfolder, and now have 2 files with the exact same name.
    He said or, not and.

Thanks
    "...Also keep in mind that a Folder or subFolder cannot hold 2 files of the exact same name.."
    Maybe they are not supposed to, however, yes they can! Today, I found several file exactly with the same name within the Libraries [accessed bia left-side column of explorer.exe's dual [left side or column / right side or column] menu display.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Guys! I'm not a expert on any thing as I have stated before; but IMHO, if you aren't 100% what you're doing, best leave duplicate file finding programs alone. If you have a back up image of your OS, then go for it. Unless the files are music,pictures, personal, ect, I doubt if you gain much free space. Most users have no business using these kind a programs.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    He said or, not and.
    Which makes no sense to begin with...

If they have different file extensions they can, otherwise, there would never be a duplicate "file name".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    "...Also keep in mind that a Folder or subFolder cannot hold 2 files of the exact same name.."
    Maybe they are not supposed to, however, yes they can! Today, I found several file exactly with the same name within the Libraries [accessed bia left-side column of explorer.exe's dual [left side or column / right side or column] menu display.
    Libraries are not folders, but collections of folders.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Most users have no business using these kind a programs.
    Totally disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast