Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Word document 2007-2010 error!

Hi all,

I have less than two months to finish my dissertation, and the word document that I have been working on is not opening.

I've been working on LibreOffice and the last page is the references page.

Please guys if anyone knows who to fix it, please help me.

Cheers!
    Muna

Dissertation.docx

jwoods
    I opened the file in Wordpad, saved it as Dissertation2.docx, and I was able to open that document in LibreOffice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

MunaM (2016-01-08)

Thanks
    I too opened it in WordPad (Windows 7) but there's no sign of any references at the end, last lines I see are:

Objectives:
    To identify young children's conceptions of what lies under the Earth surface through their drawings.

To categorise/classify the concepts for pedagogic purposes.
    Student's conceptions, the changes and development of their conceptions and what they have learnt about the abstract world beyond their vision.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

MunaM (2016-01-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Jwoods, but this is not the full document.

It has approximately half of my work only, the last page in the full one is the page that have the references.

I dunno why I cannot open the full document.

jwoods
    I was able to see 23 pages.

Hopefully, you have a backup.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

MunaM (2016-01-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Satrow, same problem.

Yes as if it does not exists, so sad.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods I have 38 pages (back up) but not all my work.

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MunaM View Post
    jwoods I have 38 pages (back up) but not all my work.

Thanks again.
    Sorry about that. It's quite unsettling for that to happen on such a valuable document.
    I would strongly encourage you to keep multiple copies of your dissertation. Use a backup app that allows you to keep multiple versions or keep them yourself, even manually. Cloud storage would seem to me to be a great way to keep multiple copies of your work in a safe backup place, even immune to the total destruction of your computer...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

MunaM (2016-01-08)

jwoods
    Right-click on the original document, select Properties, and see if there are any previous versions in file history.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

MunaM (2016-01-08)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I too opened it in WordPad (Windows 7) but there's no sign of any references at the end, last lines I see are:
    After that, I was able to extract:
    Identifying some misconceptions that stayed with the students, if any. Answering the question: Are our teaching methods helping in students’ development? To categorise/classify the concepts for pedagogic purposes. Implementations: Focus on the language and be clear “all” what do you believe there is under the Earth surface. References: Allen, M. (2014), Misconceptions in Primary Science (2nd). Open University Press. Brkich, K. L. (2014), ‘Urban fifth graders’ connections-making between formal earth science content and their lived experiences’. Cult Stud of Sci Educ, 9, 141–164.Bulunuz, N. and Jarrett, O. (2009), ‘Understanding of Earth and space Science concepts: strategies for concept-building in elementary teacher preparation’. School Science & Mathematics Association Oklanda State University, 109(5), 276-289.Bulunuz, N. and Jarrett, O. (2010), ‘The effect of hands-on learning stations on building American elementary teachers understanding about Earth and space Science concepts’. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics Science & Technology Education, 6(2), 85-99.Dal, B. (2009), ‘An investigation into the understanding of Earth Sciences among students teachers’. Educational Science: Theory and Practice, 596-606.Greene and Hogan, 2005Hall and O’hara (1995),Hammond and Wellington, 2013King, C. (2000), ‘The Earth’s mantle is solid: teachers’ misconceptions about the Earth and plate tectonics’. School Science Review, 82(298), 57-64.King, C. (2007), ‘What earth science might form the core of a new earth/environmental science GCSE?’. School Science Review, 89(327), 71-77.King, C. (2012), ‘Earth Science’. School Science Review, 94(347), 23-24.King, C. (2013), ‘Geoscience education across the globe- results of the IUGS-COGE/IGEO survey’. Report: Conference Report Book Revives, 36(1), 19-30.Lark, A., Kramp, R and Nurnberger-Haag, J. (2008), ‘My pet rock: upper elementary students discover geologic properties by acquainting themselves with their pet rock’. Science & Children. 45(5), 24-27.Libarkin, J. C., Anderson, S. W., Dahl, J., Beilfuss, M. and Boone, W. (2005), ‘Qualitative Analysis of College Students’ Ideas about the Earth: Interviews and Open-Ended Questionnaires’. Journal of Seoscience Education, 53(1) 17-26.Orion, P., Thompson, D. B. and King, C. (1996), ‘Earth Science education: an extra dimension to science education in schools’. CADERNOS IG/ UNICAMP, 6(1), 124135.Philips, W. C. (1991), ‘Earth Science misconceptions’. The Science Teacher, 58(2), 21.Qatari Investment Authority vision (2015), Qatari Investment Authority, Available from: http://www.qia.qa/Pages/default.aspx (Last accessed on 7 April 2015).Reiss et al (2010)Science Curriculum Unit for Basic Education. (2013), ‘Cycle two competencies draft. Science & Math Curriculum Group’. Curriculum Administration, Ministry of Education, Kingdom of Bahrain. Theron, Mitchell, Smith and Stuart (2011) Bibliography: Appendices:
    but there isn't any more in the file after that.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-01-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Paul,

How many pages did you managed to open?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I didn't - I changed the extension to .zip, opened the zip file, extracted 'document.xml', opened it as a text file then deleted all the XML code, mainly via two Find/Replace operations. That just leaves a string of unformatted text (not even a paragraph break!), spanning about 8 pages in all.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

19. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

MunaM (2016-01-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm screwed up!!

Thank you Paul.

jwoods
    Have you ever emailed the document to someone?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I have, and even in the day of the last modification on the 3rd January I emailed it to myself, put I was shocked that the document in the email is also corrupt.

The last document that works is 2 weeks old, better than nothing i guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast