3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

disappearing Outlook e-mail folders

I use Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 pc. It has worked well for the 4 1/2 years I have been using this pc.

Two days ago as part of my new year cleanup I was moving multiple messages from the inbox to appropriate Outlook mail folders. At one point, I was moving messages to a new folder being created in the usual drop-down menu for moving messages - an operation I had done countless times in the past. This time, though, it behaved "magically" - poof, folders disappeared. Actually the folder that disappeared (along with many sub-folders) was the folder in which I was creating a new sub-folder.

I checked all of the folders and sub-folders in the mail files, and this large folder (with the sub-folders) and the large number of sub-folder messages are nowhere to be found.

1. Any suggestions as to whether and - if so - how these folders and messages can be retrieved?
    2. If not, is there a way of my copying this portion of my Outlook files from a backed-up copy of Outlook.pst? [I would still lose the end-of-year messages - the most important of the year - but c'est la guerre.

Thanks.

globalist

jwoods
    You might right-click on the .pst file on your hard drive, select Properties, and see if there are any previous versions in file history.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are previous versions (both restore point and backup) from 1/4/16. If I go back to them, I'll have the missing mail file folder available, but I will lose all of my other input from 1/4 to today (1/9), won't I?
    I just want to restore ONE of the folders (with its sub-folders and mail files) from the older Outlook .pst file. Is this possible?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    There are previous versions (both restore point and backup) from 1/4/16. If I go back to them, I'll have the missing mail file folder available, but I will lose all of my other input from 1/4 to today (1/9), won't I?
    I just want to restore ONE of the folders (with its sub-folders and mail files) from the older Outlook .pst file. Is this possible?
    1. Create a copy of your current .pst file.
    2. Restore the file from backup and rename it to, say, restoredVersion.pst.
    3. Get the copy in step 1 and rename it, so that it goes back to its original filename.
    4. Open outlook. It will use the file renamed in 3.
    5. From Outlook, choose File open and open restoredVersion.pst.
    6. You can copy any folders and messages you want from restoredVersion.pst, simply by right clicking them and choose Copy and then selecting the destination folder - here choose a folder from your current file.
    7. Close the restoreVersion.pst file.

If copy is not available at step 6. you can simply drag and drop any folders you want, to any other folder.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

globalist (2016-01-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This worked VERY well. I am up and running, continuing my Outlook cleanup.

I deeply appreciate your step-by-step explanation.

globalist

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    This worked VERY well. I am up and running, continuing my Outlook cleanup.

I deeply appreciate your step-by-step explanation.

globalist
    Great, I am glad you're up and running again .
    Rui
    -------
    R4