New Lounger
    Thanks

Audio Issues After Upgrade Fixed

I upgraded to Win 10 64bit in early December last year, after patiently waiting for some of the glitches to be ironed-out and the major update to become available. Oh dear! I went from a lean, clean OS to a problem riddled mess. My main issue was with graphics and sound drivers, all video was choppy and lagged, with various buzzing and popping sounds. Audio alone just crackled and buzzed.

I tried every suggestion I could trawl from the net - nothing worked! Updated every driver I could find, including sound-card and graphics; changed power settings, changed the bitrate on the playback - nada!

My laptop has nVidia/Intel graphics and Realtek sound, and the continual buzz and lag on video was driving me nuts. This was no problem in Windows 7, I even reverted for a while and the issues went away, so it obviously wasn't hardware related.

Anyway, yesterday I was hunting on the Intel forum and someone mentioned the Intel Display Audio. This is there to produce HD sound when the HDMI port is used to connect another device. In my case, it is connecting a Samsung monitor, with NO speakers. I decided to disable the Intel Display Audio in Device Manager (note, disable, not uninstall), and BINGO, buzzing gone, lag gone, stutter gone.

I guess plugging-in the monitor (which has no speakers) told the system to use the Display Audio, but it was conflicting with the Realtek system sound. Odd that it wasn't there in Win7... I really hope this helps someone else with sound issues in Win10.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelB For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-09),RockE (2016-01-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge, and thanks for sharing your tale of woe! I'll bet it helps someone.

RockE

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome, RockE. As a retiree, I don't often have money to spend on new tech or technical services, so I mostly fix it myself. This one was really bugging me and the answer wasn't in any of the fixes recommended all over the net. It was a major victory for this granny!