Star Lounger
    Thanks

Google calendar not syncing to mobile phone

My wife and I share a Google calendar on our PC's through the email supplier btinternet.com (we're in the UK, but I can't see that making any difference). We use Thunderbird as our email reader. Windows 7 on both machines.

I have a Windows Nokia phone and have satisfactory syncing with the Google calendar using my btinternet email address.

I am getting serious grief from my wife - and for that alone I do request your assistance (!) - because I cannot resolve "MY" failure to get her phone to sync to the calendar. When she got her current phone (a Motorola running Android) some 6 months ago, she set up a Gmail account as possibly instructed by the Google calendar on the phone, but because the other linking is through the btinternet account, she gets no calendar syncing onto her phone.

I've done various google searches and checked the various settings on the phone, but cannot find a way of putting the pathway to the phone through another email provider, as is on my phone.

Any help in resolving this and restoring peace would be much appreciated.

Rob

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    On my Android phone I can add an additional Google account - Options > Calendar - and, I assume, sync with that calendar. As a default it uses the Google account I set up for the phone.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rob,

Can you clarify a few points? When you say you "share a Google calendar on [your] PCs" and "We use Thunderbird as our email reader", are you saying you're both using one btinternet email address, or two? Does she have a btinternet email address separate from yours? That might help clarify whether there may be one vs. two google calendars, with events on one shared to the other.

Does btinternet manage your email in house, or do they outsource it to google? (If the latter, you should be able to go to gmail.com on your PC and login using your btinternet email credentials.)

How are you managing your calendar(s) on your PCs? Are you doing that through Thunderbird/Lightning? Or can you login to google via web browser and manage your calendar? Are you using separate logins, or the same login credentials for both of you?

Does she receive btinternet email on her phone? If so, via which app? (The Gmail app? The native android Email app? Or some third-party app?)

By default, Android expects you to have a google gmail/calendar account, so walks you through creating one if you don't already have one. It sounds like that's what she did, creating a new google account. So now the two of you have a second (or third) email/calendar account. FTR, shared calendar events won't show up in that calendar unless you share them from the primary calendar to the secondary.

How you proceed from here will depend on answers to some of the above. As Paul suggested, it may be as simple as adding your (her) btinternet account as a google account on her phone. Otherwise, you may need to login to your (her) calendar via PC and in the calendar settings "share" the calendar with the new google account she created on her phone.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=dg1261;1039725]Hi Rob,

Hi DG1261 - very many thanks for your extensive answer - I'll append an answer in italics after each para.

Can you clarify a few points? When you say you "share a Google calendar on [your] PCs" and "We use Thunderbird as our email reader", are you saying you're both using one btinternet email address, or two? Does she have a btinternet email address separate from yours? That might help clarify whether there may be one vs. two google calendars, with events on one shared to the other.

We each have an email address with btinternet - x*****graham@bt**** and y*****graham@bt****. And yes to two calendars with shared events.

Does btinternet manage your email in house, or do they outsource it to google? (If the latter, you should be able to go to gmail.com on your PC and login using your btinternet email credentials.)

btinternet manages it - it was outsourced to Yahoo at one stage but not now.

How are you managing your calendar(s) on your PCs? Are you doing that through Thunderbird/Lightning? Or can you login to google via web browser and manage your calendar? Are you using separate logins, or the same login credentials for both of you?

Our calendars are quite independent, but are cross couple so I can see her activities in different colours from mine and vice versa. We use separate logins to google via the web browser on each PC.

Does she receive btinternet email on her phone? If so, via which app? (The Gmail app? The native android Email app? Or some third-party app)

Ahh - yes there's an interesting one; Yes she does. It is the Gmail app, but is showing her btinternet address in the Gmail Settings.

By default, Android expects you to have a google gmail/calendar account, so walks you through creating one if you don't already have one. It sounds like that's what she did, creating a new google account. So now the two of you have a second (or third) email/calendar account. FTR, shared calendar events won't show up in that calendar unless you share them from the primary calendar to the secondary.

Yep - you're bang on the nut, and then created a new Gmail linked calendar in her computer, which then wouldn't talk to my PC or her mobile, so she dumped that.

How you proceed from here will depend on answers to some of the above. As Paul suggested, it may be as simple as adding your (her) btinternet account as a google account on her phone. Otherwise, you may need to login to your (her) calendar via PC and in the calendar settings "share" the calendar with the new google account she created on her phone.[/QUOTE

We've looked at adding the btinternet account to the phone but there does not seem to be an option to do that in the calendar settings, which say that the calendar account is her gmail address. Trying to do so in the phone settings just bounces me back as it already has that account for the Gmail.

Very many thanks indeed for all your questions - I hope I have answered them helpfully.
    Rob

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As it's a gmail calendar you need to add that gmail account on the phone.
    What apps are you using on the PCs for calendar? Does that app sync to the gmail calendar?

I'm thinking your PC is not syncing to gmail so the Android phone won't see it.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldwood View Post
    Our calendars are quite independent, but are cross couple so I can see her activities in different colours from mine and vice versa. We use separate logins to google via the web browser on each PC.
    We've looked at adding the btinternet account to the phone but there does not seem to be an option to do that in the calendar settings, which say that the calendar account is her gmail address.
    So from what you're saying I gather that her calendar login credentials (username/pswd) are different from her email credentials. Have you tried adding the calendar credentials to her phone?

Since it's a google calendar, on her phone go to Settings->Accounts->Add Account->Google, and use the same credentials as she'd use to login to her calendar on the PC. Once you've added the account, check the sync settings by going to Settings->Accounts->Google, and select the account bearing her calendar. Make sure "Calendar" is ticked. If you don't use that account for any of those other google products, feel free to untick everything except "Calendar". (Caveat: different phones may organize Settings differently, but this should give you the general idea.)

The native calendar app on the phone should merge events from all calendars on all accounts. You should see them listed under Settings in the Calendar app. Since your calendar events are already shared with her calendar, your events should automatically show up as a subsection of hers in Calendar Settings, and thus you don't have to independently add your calendar to her phone.