Star Lounger
    Thanks

WIN 10 Logon Choices

Greetings All -

After WIN 10 installation, I added a non admin privileges user account (Casey). I chose the Local login option versus the Microsoft account option. All went well until I added an msn.com e-mail address to the mail account list. Windows viewed that as an opportunity to change how "Casey" logs onto his computer, requiring my msn email address and password. A little research showed me how to change logging into windows back to Local. That process went okay until it asked me to name the account. After typing in "Casey" windows informed me that name was already in use and to pick another. By way of experiment, I picked "Fred." That worked just fine, and I subsequently went back into the account management console and changed Fred back to Casey. I was pretty proud of myself: windows no longer tried to change the login process and my account name and user folders were in synch--everything said Casey.

All was status quo until a few days later I went to set up file history. After a successful backup I went into Explorer to take a look at the files on my flash drive, and sure enough, they were sitting in a folder named Fred. I'm beginning to hate Windows 10. Any thoughts on how all this works and how I can permanently get rid of Fred would be greatly appreciated.

Casey H

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found the solution. Running the local account manager (netplwiz) from the run box brings up a number of choices. Both Fred & Casey showed up in the account description. I just renamed Fred to Casey and everything seems OK. Hope this might help someone experiencing the same problem.

Casey H.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Casey H For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-09)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Casey! Really helpful info. I'm sure it will help others.
    Thank you for this thread!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Others have run into something similar and there's a way to point it back to using a local login without creating a new user. I can't recall what that is at the moment but it's out there somewhere if you are interested.

FWIW, using your MS account is Microsofts preferred method and it's not a real surprise to find them trying to sneak you back to it when the opportunity arises. They claim it makes it easier to connect to your MS account that way. Truth is, it's no different than having the nickname of Sponge Bob rather than Sponge Robert and if Windows it too stupid to link the two then that's their problem, not mine.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    When you sign in on your PC using a Microsoft account, you are also signing in to your online Microsoft account. You can check this out for yourself; visit your Microsoft online account and sign out, then sign off your PC. Sign on your PC using your Microsoft account, then visit you online Microsoft account and you'll see that you are also signed in there.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows