Banned Member
    Thanks

Should I delete these Items?

Hi! I just removed the Bing Bar that w10 put on me. They are good at putting these things on users not asked for. I didn't ask for it.
    Anyway doing a search with one of my favorite programs I found 1,636 items containing Bing.
    My question to the experts here, do you think I should remove them and would it be safe to do so.
    Thank you! I appreciate all suggestions!Capture48.JPG

Thanks
    If you look at the filepaths, you'll see that most - if not all - relate to 4 of Windows 10's built-in apps, i.e. Sports, News, Weather and Finance. If you just delete these folders then you'll break the apps.

If you do want to get rid of as much Bing-related stuff in Win 10 as you can then, in my opinion, the best way would be to uninstall these built-in apps. This can be done using the latest version of CCleaner or by using PowerShell.

Have a look at this LifeHacker article - Uninstall Built-In Windows 10 Apps with CCleaner (or a PowerShell Command) - for more info (and make a note of the PowerShell command to re-install the built-in apps if you change your mind afterwards).

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-01-09 at 22:22. Reason: clarified info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-09)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Rick Thanks for your reply! Not familiar with PowerShell but I do use CCleaner. Will give that a look and reply back! I checked CCleaner and I don't see what I need to check to remove these Bing items!!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Rick! Some times I'm a little thick headed. I'm not understanding your reply! Maybe I best leave them alone!
    Sense I really don't understand what I'll be deleting!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333
    Not familiar with PowerShell but I do use CCleaner. I checked CCleaner and I don't see what I need to check to remove these Bing items!!
    Make sure you have CCleaner v5.11 or newer. Click on the Applications tab and scroll down to Windows Store.

ccleaner.png
    Click to enlarge

If you read the comments in the LifeHacker article you may have noticed the following:
    I would highly recommend against using CCleaner for UWP apps, unless you like broken links in your Start Menu.
    As a result I suggest you use CCleaner to delete just one app first as a test, and possibly remove the link in the Start Menu first.

I used PowerShell to remove the apps on my Win 10 laptop, after first deleting the links in the Start Menu. PowerShell is easy to use if someone provides the commands for you... 'cos it's then just a matter of copy-and-paste.

Hope this helps...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-09)

Thanks
    You don't have to delete them. Just don't use them. Cortana uses bing, but you can easily change the browser searches in either Chrome or firefox to use google only. I just remove the apps I don't want from the start menu, and don't worry about them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to djohnson For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-09)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Guys Thanks for your replies. Some times it takes awhile for this old man's light bulb to come on. I would be deleting Bing apps like Cortana. I like Cortana, so maybe I better just leave this alone. 1,636 items is a lot of crap and even though it's very tempting, and in the future I may give it ago, for now I'm going to let old Bing stay awhile.
    Thanks everyone! You are appreciated! You guys rock!
    PS I think I'm in love with Cortana LOL
    Special thanks to @Rick! You have explained CCleaner very well. Going to give that a look and then hit the hay.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if it was Threshold2, but following one update the Shell cmd to restore the apps broke the lot, so be wary of removing any that you may want to restore at a later date.

Shane Croft who is the author of Windows Repair www.tweaking.com has removed that step from the program until MS sort it.

Someone on that forum had occasion to use MS support techs and made them aware of it but as yet, the problem remains.

Could be a case of MS's head in the sand with all of the other problems Win 10 updates are causing for some.

NB - Still occasionally getting the HTML Code when I preview my reply like just now.

Thanks
    Many thanks for the info, Sudo15. I noticed on the www.tweaking.com site that it mentioned a bug in Win 10 Build 10586 that caused these apps to be deleted rather than restored, hence why Tweaking.com's Windows Repair tool v3.6.5 had removed the 'restore' script.

I couldn't find any mention in any further updates that the script had been returned to the repair tool so, as holdum333 mentions, probably better to leave these Bing apps alone.

(As an aside, it was quite embarassing to realise how out-of-date the portable Windows Repair tool on my USB utility disk was, so thanks for the reminder too. )
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-01-10 at 11:52.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you are just using the free version then there's no need to keep it installed unless you have connectivity problems as it is constantly undergoing updates, I think to keep abreast of Win 10's updates - but any connectivity problems can be addressed by other means.

Currently v4 is in development so keep your eyes out for that update.