4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Windows 10 upgrade crashing; no recovery disk yet; no installation media

Last week I upgraded a test system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I started configuring it to fit my working habits and ran into some problems, which are being resolved elsewhere in this forum.

I returned to the system this week and discovered that it no longer boots. It gets as far as a blue-on-black outline of a window, then hangs.

I haven't created a recovery disk yet, since I never had a Windows 10 system in a state I'd want to recover. When I have a problem at this stage in a conversion, I normally just start over.

Now I realize, too late, that Windows 10 doesn't make that easy. Instead of creating installation media that I could use to re-install if necessary, the Windows 10 installer simply splats Windows 10 on top of Windows 7. I seem to be in a catch-22 now: I can't reinstall a bootable system until I have a bootable system.

What's the escape hatch from this trap?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Silly question! Can you boot into safe mode and get to the tools feature??

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you downloaded the Media Creation Tool http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...-media-upgrade.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi thomasjk!That was going to be my next question. Thanks for helping! Team work is good!
    I was waiting for OP to respond!!
    Here's link to get the Media Creation Tool!
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-10 at 23:55.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Media Creation Tool looks promising, although it's not clear that it will do what I need. (I searched the page for the strings "repair" and "recover" and didn't find either one.) I'll download it and try it. I sure wish the upgrade instructions had mentioned it; it would have been a much safer way of upgrading, and I would have used it if it were offered.

Regarding Safe Mode: I didn't mention it because Windows 10 appeared not to have it. Once I knew it did, I searched for information about how to enter it. I found a Microsoft page which explained two ways to do that. One involves pressing Logo+I and going through a series of dialogs that end with "Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart." The other is to click Power > Restart from the sign-in screen will holding down the shift key.

In other words, to boot into Safe Mode I must first be able to boot normally. That isn't very useful in my situation.

If there's another way to it, Microsoft didn't tell me; I hope one of you will do so!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    In other words, to boot into Safe Mode I must first be able to boot normally. That isn't very useful in my situation.

If there's another way to it, Microsoft didn't tell me; I hope one of you will do so!
    Here's the best I can do for you. I hope some thing works. You may get lucky and maybe the last option with get you there!
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    Option #6
    1. Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off.

2. Press the power button on your PC to turn it on.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above until you see Please wait during boot like below. Usually it may take repeating up to 3 times.
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-13 at 20:46.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsachs177 View Post
    Last week I upgraded a test system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I started configuring it to fit my working habits and ran into some problems, which are being resolved elsewhere in this forum.

I returned to the system this week and discovered that it no longer boots. It gets as far as a blue-on-black outline of a window, then hangs.

I haven't created a recovery disk yet, since I never had a Windows 10 system in a state I'd want to recover. When I have a problem at this stage in a conversion, I normally just start over.

Now I realize, too late, that Windows 10 doesn't make that easy. Instead of creating installation media that I could use to re-install if necessary, the Windows 10 installer simply splats Windows 10 on top of Windows 7. I seem to be in a catch-22 now: I can't reinstall a bootable system until I have a bootable system.

What's the escape hatch from this trap?
    I had the exact same issue. After letting the boot up hang for about 30 minutes, I did a hard turn off, waited a few seconds, and then turned the PC on again. This time it booted up. It took a little time, but did boot up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I found during my brief stay in Win 10 that when it was working sort of, I was unable to boot into the BIOS or use F12 to change the boot order - fortunately I already had my laptop set to boot from CD/DVD and then USB before the HDD.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    since the problem is in your test system, go to another system that works, either win 8 or win 7 will do. now download the media creation tool and, if you really want to end the heartache, make a win 10 installation disc and do a clean install on the test system, booting from the newly created installation disc. that worked for me.