Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

What Ever Happened To Safe Mode?

Hi! Not sure where this thread belongs. Was messing around with my PC tonight. I couldn't get into safe mode using the F8 Key.
    It seems W10 has disabled this feature. I found a neat work around and it actually works. It will actually get the F8 option back. Scroll down to 4 in this link.
    Why do I want to get into safe mode. There are a lot of reasons. The main reason is it gives you a lot of ways to repair your PC.
    Once you get to the menu in safe mode click on repair. This will give you a lot of options to try and repair your computer.
    Sorry my computer language leaves a lot to be desired, but hope this is not to confusing.
    http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/comp...11364000631724
    PS I searched and didn't find this any where on the forum. Sorry if it has already been posted!
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-10 at 23:41.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Why am I excited about the F8 feature that boots you in to safe mode? I'm excited because there are a ton of things you can do if you can get into the safe mode. It may be the best trouble shooter that Windows ever created.
    I'm very happy that I can now use the F8 feature to get into the safe mode. That makes me even more secure. If you've ever tried to fix computers for a hobby or a living, you know how important it is to be able to get in the safe mode. You bet I'm excited because that is one thing that W10 stopped me from doing. That is no longer a problem. There are so many things you can do in the safe mode. With the new W10 OS; there are even more options to help you trouble shoot using the safe mode. You can use the Reset feature if all else fails. There are plenty of options before using that. This pretty much completed my arsenal to get me back up and running again.
    Please comment and add your thoughts.
    Thank you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-01-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Why am I excited about the F8 feature that boots you in to safe mode? I'm excited because there are a ton of things you can do if you can get into the safe mode. It may be the best trouble shooter that Windows ever created.
    I'm very happy that I can now use the F8 feature to get into the safe mode. That makes me even more secure. If you've ever tried to fix computers for a hobby or a living, you know how important it is to be able to get in the safe mode. You bet I'm excited because that is one thing that W10 stopped me from doing. That is no longer a problem. There are so many things you can do in the safe mode. With the new W10 OS; there are even more options to help you trouble shoot using the safe mode. You can use the Reset feature if all else fails. There are plenty of options before using that. This pretty much completed my arsenal to get me back up and running again.
    Please comment and add your thoughts.
    Thank you!
    Yes it is good to have the F8 key feature back and so easy to do after you posting the link. The link mentions that they disabled the F8 feature to speed up the boot time but with a SSD I can't see much difference. To be honest I don't know that much about safe mode but I used it once with Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro and it was really helpful.
    Thanks Pete

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    333, hello.

I found my way to Safe Mode, the W-10 way quite easily and I am no wiz. Why complicate things ?

The W-10 way is a bit strange but it gets you there. Let me know if you want my way and I will type it here.

Edit: Actually, after going to your URL to see what it entailed, it is exactly what I did so I will not pretend to be a wiz and that I am not. I should have tried that link before hitting my keyboard, sorry.

All fine wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2016-01-11 at 10:19.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Jean! I'll bet you're a wiz any way. The F8 and safe mode opens a lot of ways to recover. I'm glad to have that option back.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I now have my Toshiba set up to give me 3 options when I boot. I know it might be a slight PITA, but that's how I want it. I get the option to boot into Windows, Boot into Macrium Reflect, or boot into safe mode. I think that covers it all.

Thanks
    Open the Start Menu, go to Power -> Restart, and hold down the Shift key while clicking on Restart. You will be presented with many options from which to choose.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi dj! That's also good information, but you have to be able to boot into windows, which is not always possible.
    That way does work and I use it also.
    Thank you!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi guys! All good information about safe mode. I've seen that trick before Fascist Nation. I have used it myself on occasions. Google is always a good friend!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    333, me again. ( still ? )

Your post really got things going. Nice to see all this activity. Hat off.

All fine wishes. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thank you Jean! All fine wishes to you! Safe mode is a excellent tool for trouble shooting and I'm glad I now can get to it with a restart and F8. Shame on MS for taking that out of my arsenal! That's OK MS, I got it back now!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great tip. Thank you. Duncan

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You are very welcome! Roll Tide! What a game last night!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's one of the few things we really get right in this state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast