Thread: Hijacked PC

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hijacked PC

I did a search with Ultra Search for files created today 11/1/2016 and I saw that files on my computer such as Amazon Music had been viewed. A file Digital locker had been viewed and others which I DEFINITELY hadn't looked at. Some images out of a folder have disappeared which I had viewed and processed with Photoshop. I have good firewall and virus programs that didn't show anything untoward. What are the signs that another computer is controlling my computer?
    Last edited by bobrobert; 2016-01-11 at 09:35.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Download and run one of the offline scanners (Kaspersky, Panda etc).
    Make sure you don't have TeamViewer installed.
    Watch for unexpected activity on your credit card.

And backup your computer - as always.

cheers, Paul

p.s. personally I doubt someone would be controlling your PC, except as a joke. They'd rather run ransomware or steal your bank details.

Thanks
    Do you mean UltraSearch? Neither UltraSearch nor NTFS show details of Date Viewed. (The closest is Date Accessed.) What makes you think files have been viewed?

In my opinion it's unlikely that your PC is being remotely controlled unless you have installed one or more remote access programs (and given permission/password, etc.). Do you have any such programs installed? If so, which?

Is whatever account you log on to Windows password-protected?

Other than yourself, does anyone else have physical access to your PC?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have now run a few programs and they have reported no problems. Downloaded RUBotted and it is protecting my system. I don't have any remote access installed and I am the only person that has used/use the computer. What threw me was that Ultra Search was listing files that had been accessed/changed that I hadn't looked at. Maybe the searching is bogus? I will continue to monitor everything. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrobert View Post
    What threw me was that Ultra Search was listing files that had been accessed/changed that I hadn't looked at.
    Indexing, security scan... ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It now seems that I was using the search wrongly. I was inputting .... all...in the search instead of "*" which was giving me spurious results.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Paul.

You wrote : Make sure you don't have TeamViewer installed.

Not relevant as every access has to be validated, I know of no process where one could leave his machine open to intrusion, in TV.

All best wishes. Jean.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You used to be able to leave TV set up for remote access without confirmation. Has it changed?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Yes, you can leave the full version of TeamViewer in Host Mode or download/install a dedicated Host Mode version. In both instances you need to setup unattended access and configure a password used to authenticate to a specific TeamViewer session.

In use, your password can only be used for a specific TeamViewer session so the chances of a third-party guessing both the 9-digit session ID and your password are, um, remote (if you pardon the pun).