New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000 forms (Word 2000-2002)

In my previous job a couple of years ago, we had some contracts available on the server for use by all employees. When you entered one of these protected documents, it prompted you to enter the name of the company, address, etc, in a fill-in box that popped up on screen, and then it loaded this information into all the proper slots inthe contract. They salespeople could plug data into the contract "holes," but could not alter the contract itself. I am now trying to create this on my own at a new company, using the Word 2002 fields, but some how it is not working. Anyone have some ideas for me?

Thanks, Dolly

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000 forms (Word 2000-2002)

Hi Dolly.

It sounds like those contracts were likely created using Visual Basic for Applications (vba); have you used vba before?

klyjen

New Lounger
    Thanks

They may have been. When I was asked to alter the contract, I was given the password, I un-protected the document, made the text changes to the legal clauses, and then protected it again. They may have been set up using VBA orginally.

As to using VBA, I have taken a course in this, and done a teeny bit of work with it, but nothing substantive. I do know how to use the editor to write code and save it, but I don't know enough to spot my mistakes (sins of omission, syntax errors), etc. I would say I am a bit like Bart Simpson, who upon being asked about long division said, "I know OF long division..." I know OF Visual Basic.

Inside of Word there seemed to be two methods of doing what I wanted to do. One involved using "fields" and the other seemed to be a variant of Autocomplete. I tried using both did not neither seemed to be providing the result I wanted, which was to enter, for example, a company name once, and have it show up everywhere in the contract it needed to show up.

I am not unwilling to tackle using Visual Basic to accomplish this.

Dolly

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To my ear, it sounds like those forms might have been a combination of a "form" in Word (created using the forms toolbar, probably, and protected, with a VBA user form to present an easy input mechanism for the user.

I would imagine, offhand, that you'd need a template that had a startup form to get your input data, and then a procedure to populate your template (word form) with that data at the appropriate bookmarks.

I'd be happy to help more, if you'd like (it'd be good practice for me, since I recently took a VBA class myself), but I won't be able to do it this afternoon...

klyjen

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

To enter a company name once, and have it appear everywhere:

.Put a form field into the document. (If you're doing this a lot, show your "forms" toolbar). Double click on it. Check the "Calculate on exit" box, and give it a name in the "Bookmark" textbox.

.Position the cursor where you want that field to appear. Insert, Field, Category "Links and References", select "Ref" from the rhs, and click on Options. Select the Bookmarks tab. Select the name you've created from the list, click "Add to Field", OK. Then OK to the "Fields" box.

.Protect the document.

Enter a value in the form field. When you exit from the formfield, the value will be replicated in the field.

Tools, Options, Field Codes (or Alt + F9) wil allow you to see and edit the field code references.

No VBA necessary.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found this and think you may find what you need at the following location http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Userfo...eAUserForm.htm. I attached a test of what is at the site mentioned here.
    Good luck Fay
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

You may want to take a look at the ASK Field and UserForm tutorials on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm#AskField> my downloads page</A>.

It does sound as if you were using a combination of a UserForm and an online form. You may want to follow the links at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms> Word Web Resources - Forms</A> (addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm) especially Dian Chapman's series of articles.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin