Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Issues re. Slow Loading Windows 7.1 Laptop

Hi again and Happy New Year! This speed issue has developed over the past few weeks, but only on my laptop. The PC seems fine. Both run Windows (64) 7.1 and are on a home network. although physically located in different rooms (issues occur when laptop in the same room as the PC).

Here are the issues:

• when loading web pages (Firefox 43.0.4), get "server not found" or "connection has timed out" message
    • searching the web almost impossible: sites load super slowly or not at all
    • email (Windows Live Mail) also very sluggish and inconsistent: after a few tries, sometimes gets working

Here's what I've done so far:

• ran CCleaner; cleared all files and temp files
    • ran Microsoft quick scan: no issues
    • ran Malware Bytes Anti Malware: no issues
    • cleared the cache

Can you tell me what else I can do or do you have any suggestions on what might be causing the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...this sure has me stumped!

Thanks,

Linda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Linda,

This is just a shot-in-the-dark but I'm assuming you are using Wi-Fi on the Laptop? Have you tried wiring it up and seeing if the problem persists? Since this is just after the fat-boy holiday did you add any new wireless devices that could be causing interference with the wireless connection?

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Linda! There are a lot of reasons a PC is slow. I would run Adwcleaner and see what it shows. I don't know about why issues happening only when in the same room. Opps sorry RG!
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/adwcleaner.html
    Reasons A computer is slow!!
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the desktop also wifi connected?

I too think it is a wifi conflict issue. I would guess when it is present in that room either with objects blocking signal strength or interfering devices nearby.

This is really getting old in the tooth but it can give you an idea of potential interferences and how to identify them. Maybe some day I will get around to adding the AC protocol and some of its newer technology to this article:
    https://community.newegg.com/eggxper...9/t/99723.aspx

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I would also see if up dating the network adapter in devise manager might help. Also, I'm wondering where your Wi-Fi router is located. Also is your Desktop connected with Ethernet cable? RG has good suggestion to use Ethernet cable on laptop and see it you still have issues. Looks like we have team work going. That's a good thing in my opinion. I like Fascist Nation's link!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow...and again, wow! A virtual treasure trove of suggestions to try. Thank you all!!

A little more info from my end and some responses to you:

Yes, it is wi-fi, but no new devices added. PC is also wi-fi connected, but no problem.

Don't have ethernet cable handy, but did try laptop in same room as router and issues still occur.

Issues are very "burpy": one time, everything loads fine and quickly; next time, get timed out message. Forbes Entrepreneur links, especially, frequently time out...but not always.

I don't know about why issues happening only when in the same room.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear: meant that issues occur regardless of being in same room as PC or not.

I would run Adwcleaner
    Will try that and post back.

I know from reading in the Lounge that slow loading is an issue with a host of probable causes...which is why it's so tricky to troubleshoot. So I'll work through each of your responses, check all the links and get back with results.

Many many thanks for all your help!

Linda

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It's very possible that your internet adapter card may be going south. USB internet adapters cards are fairly cheap.
    I hope that's not the case, but they do go bad. See if there is a update for your adapter.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/networki...d=abcat0503007

Thanks
    You should also be aware of Microsoft's efforts to back-port it's sophisticated telemetric monitoring & data collection from W10 to
    the previous two OS's; Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 7.

Easy ways to plug the bandwidth leaks and see if it makes a difference...
    Another "all in one" Privacy tool by...
    Although this may not make a noticeable difference with a fast cable connection, you may see a noticeable difference on wifi.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, another familiar "face" - hi CLiNT, and happy 2016. Will try your suggestion, thanks.

More thinking on this end...we have moved recently. This started only after our move. Our new rental home has a different wi-fi supplier (a former phone company, Sprint, now CenturyLink). I also suspect it is not as fast a connection as we had formerly with Comcast as the landlady is paying a much lower monthly fee than we'd been paying for Comcast and her fee covers both landline and wi-fi.

Could this be a factor?

Linda

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi IMHP the ISP is always a factor. If this is "burpy"; the way you describe the issue, it could be your ISP. My question is why it only happens on laptop?? Is your desk top wireless. Sorry if that has already been established.
    Are there certain times a day this happens? How many users are there using this Wi-Fi??
    Ethernet cables are cheap. Might be worth the investment!! I have about 5 in a drawer. If you lived close, I'd run one by! What is your down load speed when it's running good? If you want to try some of these things in your spare time, maybe some thing here would help??? I try very hard to make a good hand here on the forum, but there are a lot more members here that know a lot more than myself. I think its kewl when we all get along and work together and not criticize each other. IMHO that makes a great help forum. They are hard to find these days. A little off topic, but what the hay.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...nection-issues
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-11 at 17:39.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Haven't read the links but I would look to the wireless drivers and changing the DNS servers in the laptop's wireless adapter TCP/IPv4 Properties.

You could use Google's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220.

holdum333's suggestion of checking the download speed and then comparing that to the desktop may tell you something.

It may be that a change of channel in the router may help.

You can check to see the best one to use with inSSIDer3. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

You haven't mentioned a defrag and it may also be worth downloading the free version of HWMonitor to see if you have an overheating problem.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

How much free space do you have on the HDD ?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Lots more ideas...thanks so much to everyone. I'm going to take a break before doing all this checking and post back once I have checked.

A couple of quick replies to Sudo: have not tried defrag so can do that. We use HardDisk Sentinel and it reports the HDD is in "perfect" shape with no mention of overheating. I will double check the amount of space.

I think its kewl when we all get along and work together and not criticize each other. IMHO that makes a great help forum. They are hard to find these days.
    Holdum333, you are so right. This Lounge is full of super helpful and unbelievably patient people. I am constantly amazed and delighted at how generous Loungers are with their help and, like you, with their willingness to work as a "team" instead of griping at each other or casting aspersions on others' suggestions.

More to follow once I do my "homework".

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was talking about the CPU/graphics overheating which will slow a computer and as you have said this had been gradual - that thought came to mind.

See what HWMonitor reports.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, now I understand. Sorry for missing your point, sudo.

Linda

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Linda! I think this is the down load for HWMonitor! Good program!!
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast