Star Lounger
    Thanks

Get new Windows 10

Found on Slashdot:

'Get Windows 10' Turns Itself On and Nags Win 7 and 8.1 Users Twice a Day

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/01...rs-twice-a-day

from the post:
    ---------------------------
    As you may recall, Microsoft has delivered KB3035583 as a 'recommended update' to users of Windows 7 and 8.1. What this update does is install GWX ("Get Windows 10"), a program which diagnoses the system to see if it is eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10, and if so, asks the user if they would like to upgrade (though recently, the option to decline has been removed). Some users have gotten around this by editing Windows Registry values for "AllowOSUpgrade", "DisableOSUpgrade", "DisableGWX", and "ReservationsAllowed" in order to disable the prompt altogether. This advice was endorsed by Microsoft on their support forums.

According to a report by Woody Leonhard at InfoWorld, the newest version of the KB3035583 update includes a background process which scans the system's Windows Registry twice a day to see if the values for the four aforementioned registry inputs were manually edited to disable the upgrade prompt. If they were, the process will alter the values, silently re-download the Windows 10 installation files (about 6 GB in total), and prompt the user to upgrade.
    ---------------------------
    I think we all knew this was coming...

Thanks
    Yeah, and I'm in support of it...

Seriously, people, why would anyone tolerate this bullshit? It's being made amply clear that Microsoft doesn't give a good goddamn what you, the end user, actually wants to do, doesn't respect the fact that your computer is your property and not theirs, and is just pushing their way through to do whatever the hell they want. How is this even legal? Why is there not a massive lawsuit against Microsoft at this point? How is it that they think they have the right to shove Windows 10 down everyone's throat?
    Maybe because Apple and Google do the exact same thing.

If you have some know-how you can easily work around it. If you don't know anything about computers, you can learn, or go just
    with the flow...which is the vast majority of all computer users.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! I don't know what's going on for sure. I can't see where MS can force their users to upgrade to W10, but I have been wrong a couple of times in my life. You've heard that saying " The only time I was ever wrong is when I thought I was wrong about something, but it turned out that I was right after all." LOL

Thanks
    You can own your own computer, but you can't own the Windows operating system; you license its use. In accepting the license and using Windows, you agree to all the terms of the license. Check the license applicable to your particular version of Windows to see what rights Microsoft retains and what rights you have.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Alert: from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664

"Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7

Introduction
    This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oldITguy For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy View Post
    Alert: from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664

"Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7

Introduction
    This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."
    This is not a new patch. It may have been re-issued. And so, the point of this is?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This section of the web page indicates the most recent date:

-----------------------------------
    Properties

Article ID: 2952664 - Last Review: 01/12/2016 18:34:00 - Revision: 16.0
    Applies to

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Keywords:

kbsurveynew kbfix kbexpertiseadvanced atdownload KB2952664
    This is a new issue of a patch I have installed from last Fall. However, I suspect it takes GWX to the next level if this update gets to the next level.

If anybody has used this updated patch, feedback would be appreciated. As Woody indicates, Microsoft is on a roll to force feed Win10 everywhere, whether we want it or not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy
    If anybody has used this updated patch, feedback would be appreciated. As Woody indicates, Microsoft is on a roll to force feed Win10 everywhere, whether we want it or not.
    Nope... just hid it again.

Slightly off-topic (sorry) but I also noted yet another Silverlight available as an Optional update. I thought MS had given up on Silverlight, especially after its decision to drop it from Edge.
    _Silverlight.png

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Rick,

Silverlight is on life support. Don't think there is new development going on but security patches are still being released.

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Joe - Many thanks for the info. At the risk of continuing what constitutes a thread hijack (apologies all), I restored all 10 Silverlight updates to see what would happen and ended up with just one optional update - KB3126036 (which I hid again ).

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I suppose I'll be a mad son of a gun when a window update bricks my PC , but I have it set to auto. It does it's thing and I do mine. Of course I have MR back up images. I have about 10 of them. Several with W7. The government is spying on me and I could care less. If it helps catch the bad guys, then go for it Uncle Sam!!
    You are being spied on every where you go. I also; like @Rick apologize for getting off topic.
    What is the topic?? LOL

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy View Post
    This section of the web page indicates the most recent date:

Properties

Article ID: 2952664 - Last Review: 01/12/2016 18:34:00 - Revision: 16.0
    Applies to

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Keywords:

kbsurveynew kbfix kbexpertiseadvanced atdownload KB2952664
    This is a new issue of a patch I have installed from last Fall. However, I suspect it takes GWX to the next level if this update gets to the next level.

I don't think it does any more than the description says. Microsoft often has updated compatibility patches and reissued them.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And there is more, from arstechnica...

Microsoft finally has a proper way to opt out of Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 upgrades

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...s-10-upgrades/

Here is the embedded reference to the Micorsoft change:

How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

I am looking forward to what Woody has to say about KB3080351.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We've been through this a number of times, but MS seems to be getting more and more aggressive on this. I have two Win 7 machines that I have zero interest in upgrading to Win 10. I really don't object to Win 10 on principle but each machine has stuff on it that won't survive the upgrade.

My suggestion to MS, if they choose to listen (which they won't), is to stop all this BS and install a Opt In/Out as soon as possible. Let a patch install a desktop icon that the user can run which will all them to Opt In to the upgrade if they want it and Opt Out if they don't. No more nagging, no threats, no BS. "Here it is, a free upgrade, take it or leave it. This offer expires _________. After that, if you decide to upgrade it will cost you $$$."
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Speaking of being more aggressive about Windows 10, from arstechnica:

>>> Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...to-windows-10/

Are there really Skylake equipped PCs/Laptops out there that didn't already come with Windows 10?

It seems like if Microsoft can't get you on the software side, they will do it on the hardware side. I suppose the next logical step will be to terminate all of their other product support for non-Win10 computers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast