Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Can't update (error code 8007371B) or refresh Windows 8.1

I posted this question 2 days ago on eightforums.com but no response has been forthcoming. I am now posting on Windows Secrets Lounge and on Major Geeks.

I have had Windows Update set to inform me when important upgrades are available.

When I went to download and install the latest batch it was unsuccessful. I got error code 8007371B.
    Update history had a long list of failures.

I found many references to this problem via Google and tried many of them, all to no avail.

I decided to refresh the operating system but was unable to do so. I can't see the refresh option anywhere.

The operating system was re-installed by an I.T.company a few months ago after it froze and I couldn't boot it. They have installed it under local Administrator user account. I wonder if that might be the reason that I don't see the Refresh option. But whatever the reason, what do I need to do to refresh the system?
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Thanks
    I can copy/paste, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTurner, posted at Majorgeeks
    Have you already tried using the Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter??

See the paragraph headed 'Run the troubleshooter'

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...windows-update

If that doesn't work, then:

Have you already tried to repair any system files using sfc /scannow?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833

You need to state clearly any and all steps and the results you have already tried before you posted here. It is not sufficient to anyone helping you simply to say 'I tried many of them' witout specifying what those were, and what the final failure messages were.

(All the above options are clearly suggested on both those other forums, before even posting)
    So, we need these little details, saves us all time in the long run.

Thanks
    satrow, if it bothers people so much why don't you erase this thread?

It will save someone the bother or making snotty comments.

Thanks
    LOL, it doesn't bother me one iota - but this forum and most others have specific rules about cross-posting, it's about appreciating the free time given up by those that might help you, you already acknowledged the fact that you've posted elsewhere yet you don't use the same User name on those fora and you didn't provide any time-saving links.

Just how many potential helpers did you want to waste their freely given time to go hunting down any potential replies to your pleas?

Rule #14: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/faq...n#crossposting

Avoid cross-posting into more than one forum or community
    Cross-posting is the posting of the same or nearly the same question on more than one forum or community (for example, posting the same question in both the Database forum and the Spreadsheets forum or posting in the Windows Secrets Lounge and Microsoft Answers Community). To avoid this, choose the one forum or community that is the most appropriate and post your message there. Most members watch for new threads in several forums and communities.

We strongly discourage posting questions in more than one community. If you must post a question in more than one community please observe the tips in the "How to Post and When to Cross-Post" section at A message to cross posters. Cross posting to multiple communities without appropriate links will be grounds for temporary suspension of privileges. Repeated offenses will be grounds for a permanent ban.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, let's start again.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

This will say if you have problems and if the system can be repaired.

If it says it can be then enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

exit

Then reboot.

If sfc /scannow reports it is unable to repair some files then run SFCFix.exe and copy & paste its report.

http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe

If you get an error on the /restorehealth cmd then you could go for the Refresh.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...fresh-reset-pc

But if you are prompted for install media and you don't have any, this article has steps for creating that.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html

As we have gone to the trouble of responding to your plea for help, please have the courtesy of replying to questions of more details on what you have tried.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2016-01-13),satrow (2016-01-12)

Thanks
    Ok satrow, understood.

Sudo15, thank you for that, I will try it a bit later.

Sorry about the paucity of information, I will bear it in mind. I know what you mean, as I was once very active answering questions on several electronics forums.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you still let us know what you have already tried which has failed for you for.

BTW - I'm also from the ne of England.

Thanks
    The result of the series of commands is displayed in this screenshot:

cmd result.jpg

The relevant log is attached.

I don't remember the sequence or details of what I tried before posting here. System file checker was run a couple of times, after using Micrososft's Fixit for Upddate problems - also more than once.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You'll need to equate this Win 7 route to your Win 8.1

Go Start - type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to Remote Procedure RPCSS and ensure it is displayed as Started and Automatic

Below that is Remote Procedure Locator - that should be set to Manual - click on that then on Start in the upper left pane.

Scroll down to RPC Endpoint Mapper and ensure that is showing as Started and Automatic.

If neither are as described, right click on them - select Properties and use the dropdown to change their status.

If RPCSS fails to start then scroll up to DCOM Server Process Launcher and ensure that is showing as Started and Automatic.

When they are as should be, reboot and retry the dism cmds.

The error 161 for the /startcomponentcleanup is just that and I don't have an answer as to why that is reporting as such, but if you have run the sfc /scannow and that reports unable to repair some files, run SFCFix.ex and then copy & paste its report and we should be able to progress from there.

SFCFix.exe should be run straight after sfc /scannow if required.

Thanks
    Thank you again Sudo15.

Here is the cmd sequence:

SFCFix cmd.png

The log is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My eyes tend to blur over when I'm reading through one of those logs

SFCFix.exe should have produced a file onto your desktop - can you post that - it should be smaller and more concise.

Did you check the status of the services ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I'm not surprised!

SFCFix.exe should have produced a file onto your desktop - can you post that - it should be smaller and more concise.
    I can't see any file on the desktop which is anything to do with SFCFix, so I will run it again.

Did you check the status of the services ?
    Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you run a sfc /scannow immediately before running SFCFix.exe for it to have a current CBS log to work on ?

To check the services, in Win 7 I go Start - type services.msc and press enter.

This will bring up a list of the services and their status which you can stop, start or change their status by right clicking on them and selecting Properties then use the dropdown.

Under the Dependencies tab will show you if they have any and what has to be running for them to work.

When you right click on The RPCSS and select Properties and click on Dependencies, in the lower pane will show all of the applications that rely upon RPC running.

Some of the Dependencies can be found in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers where they aren't listed in Services.

Refer to Post #9 for the services I want you to check.

Thanks
    Same here

If you didn't store SFCFix on your Desktop, check the folder (Downloads?) that you ran it from.

Sudo15, you might want to check the MG's topic as well. I haven't looked for the eightforums topic.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I've run SFCFix.exe it has always put its file onto my desktop as well as opening it on completion, so not sure what is happening for it not to have produced it

I'd been wondering about an infection as well as they are prime suspects for stopping crucial services.

It had crossed my mind earlier to suggest running the free version of MBAM but not sure if it would run with RPC not running.

A bootable scanner like Kaspersky Rescue disk may be the answer to check for malware, but will wait to see what the result of another sfc /scannow and SFCFix.exe produces.

For Syncopator - if SFCFix.exe still fails to produce a log then from an elevated cmd prompt enter -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which will open the sfc /scannow CBS log in Notepad which you can then post.

NB - The forum may allow you to copy & paste that cmd to the cmd prompt, but it rarely lets me do it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast