Thanks

how to make a new partition

I have a brand new IBM ThinkPad with a 30G hard drive and would love to partition the drive into several smaller drives so backups will be easier (?)

The ThinkPad is factory installed Win2k and ready to go, but I want to escape the huge C: drive nightmare.

What do I need to do next to get where I want to be?
    C: 2G
    D: 3G
    E: 3G
    and so on... say, any suggestions as to what size the new drives/partitions should be?

TIA!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: how to make a new partition

A few thoughts for you to chew on, Scott:

Partition Magic 7 will allow you to dynamically change partition settings without booting into DOS, nor having to re-install Windows, if you want to stay away from that. I prefer to partition, format, and re-install Windows, but everyone has their own preferences.

At any rate - I suggest a 2GB partition for Windows 2000 only, including the system swap file. If you put the swap file into another partition then the disk's read/write heads have to travel more each time it's accessed, and Windows 2000 is designed to use a swap file whether you need it or not.

My next partition would be about 10GB in size, for Program Files only. The remainder of the disk (18GB) would be devoted to "My Documents" and data that you create - MP3s, images, and whatnot. You'll chew up 18GB faster than you think.

The reasoning behind this is that you can format and install Windows without destroying your programs and data. It simplifies backups, since you can back up programs, the operating system, and data seperately.

There is an endless debate on whether to use FAT32 or NTFS on your hard drive, but I *never* put NTFS on the boot partition with Windows, because I cannot start with a floppy and see the system files. With FAT32 I can do this and repair things if need be.

On my daily driver (my home desktop), there is a 60GB drive, and it is partitioned as follows. I provided this to you as an example, in the end it's all up to you:

C: -- 2GB (Windows XP)
    D: -- 10GB (Program Files)
    E: -- 1GB (Scratch/Temp/Internet Cache files)
    F: -- 23GB Data 1 (My Documents)
    G: -- 23GB Data 2 (On-drive copies of the Windows CD, Office, and other large images, such as the Mandrake Linux ISO files, 650MB each)

Hope that helps!
    -Mark

Thanks

Thanks, Mark... you've confirmed a lot of what I've been reading elsewhere. The ThinkPad is due to arrive today and I'm planning on picking up a copy of Partition Magic along with Drive Image.

How would you suggest going about backing up an 18GB drive (newbie alert!)?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Drive Image should allow you to back up your partitions to CD. I don't know and you didn't say if the ThinkPad has a CD-RW in it. That's my preferred method - Drive Image and a few blank CDs. Also, Norton Ghost is an excellent program.

Let's see if we have any other folks in the Lounge that can give you more options when it comes to backups. To give you some informational reading on the topic, has recently had an ongoing series of articles about backups with a lot of input from his reads. Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=backup&sp-a=0008002a-sp00000000>this link for some ideas.
    -Mark

Thanks

Thanks again... yes, I will have access to a CD-RW. FWIW, it was Fred Langa's latest newsletter that somewhat prompted this interest <g>

Looking forward to hearing from others on backups.

I appreciate your promptness, Mark, and hope to return the favor soon.

Thanks

Wow, Partition Magic 7 is incredible... whoda thunk it?
    Once I got into the factory installed Win2k o/s, the C: drive was pretty chunky.

C: is set at 3.97G using 3.80 leaving 173Mb free
    D:Programs 7.43G with 5.37 free
    Eocument 15.61G with 15.25 free

Looks like I may need to share some of E: with C: soon, eh?

I'll copy document files from the backup CDs, remembering to uncheck the Read-Only box.

Still tinkering with DriveImage <g>

Thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also be aware that some of the "Restore" CD's that come with new computers will reformat and delete ALL partitions when retosre is run. You might want to check this out from your source of the computer. If this happens you will lose ALL data and programs.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Thanks, Dave... I installed Partition Magic 7.0 on a new ThinkPad, partitioned into three drives, stopped a Norton SystemWorks 2000 installation, installed Office 2000 Premium, then tried to install NSW 2002 only to see that a 'previous install was in progress... yak, yak, yak'

I went ahead and used IBM's Recovery Option and, lo and behold, only C: had been restored! D:Programs and Eocument were fully intact (?)

Once I get done tinkering and perfecting, I'm making use of Drive Image 5.0 <g>

Thanks for the heads up!