New Lounger
    Thanks

fail: Hyperlinks from Outlook 2007 using Windows 10

After updating my Inspiron 15z UltraBook to Windows 10, every link I click from Outlook returns a window titled Unknown File Format.

This window says Windows can't open the file //app.info.pentontech.com/e/er?utm_rid=CPNET000001971265&utm_campaign=666&utm_ medium=email&elq2=d5c71134322d43c79fdffcb0e75e8073 &s=1885539667&lid=2478&elq=d5c71134322d43c79fdffcb 0e75e8073&elqaid=666&elqat=1&elqTrackId=f7a6c26df6 b04ad0b3f23f96750bc1cb. This address is the url from the link for Windows Secrets.

Next it says
    File Description: not found . . . to open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Then it asks
    What would you like to do?
    Find a program to open the file (recommended, and checked by default)
    Get more information about .com/e/er?utm_rid=cpnet000001971265utm_c
    Use the standard Windows service.

The first 2 choices are dead ends, but if I choose Use the standard Windows service, it opens the link successfully with no further issues.

I went whining to Microsoft TecSupport and they made some excuse that I shouldn't expect links to work . . . something about .pdfs

Ever since the Win10 upgrade in August, I've been having to make 4 clicks to open every link.
    1. click my link
    2. click Use the standard windows service
    3. click OK which throws up a new window offering IE, Edge, Chrome and Look for an app in the store
    4. click OK again

Maybe I've accidentally changed a Setting somewhere that chooses how Outlook or Windows treats links.

1. Is anyone else having this issue?
    2. If so, has a fix been identified?

Thanks
    "to open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it" suggests that you don't have a default browser set.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    "to open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it" suggests that you don't have a default browser set.
    Thanks for your reply.

I would be glad if it were something that boneheaded, but alas I DID in fact set the Default Browser when I installed Win10 and IE 11. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Have you checked to see that what you set is what you still have?

New Lounger
    Thanks

default browser

Have you checked to see that what you set is what you still have?
    Thanks for your reply.

Not sure what you're asking, but if you wanna know whether I checked to see if IE-11 is still the default browser, then yes I have.

Thanks
    Did you check in Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Your Default Programs to make sure IE has all its defaults set?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Did you check in Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Your Default Programs to make sure IE has all its defaults set?

Jerry
    Hi Jerry. Thanks for your post. Yes I've made sure that IE is default for everything that it's capable of doing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem ONLY happens in Outlook, so I think it's rooted in Outlook and not in IE.

Thanks
    Turns out its a known problem. See here

http://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/out...nks-dont-work/

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool fail: Hyperlinks from Outlook 2007 using Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by FitnessPolice View Post
    The problem ONLY happens in Outlook, so I think it's rooted in Outlook and not in IE.
    1. YouDaMan!!! (assuming you're male).
    2. Voila!! It's Fixed
    3. What in the world did you use for a search phrase? aka How did you find the fix?
    4. My unending THANKS to you.

Thanks
    Thanks for letting us know that the problem is fixed. As for the how, once you told me that IE was not remembering the default settings for Outlook but remembering them for everything else, my premise was that this was probably caused by a bug, in which case, others must have already encountered it. The search string was, therefore, simply "windows 10 outlook 2007 hyperlinks wont open"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for letting us know that the problem is fixed. As for the how, once you told me that IE was not remembering the default settings for Outlook but remembering them for everything else, my premise was that this was probably caused by a bug, in which case, others must have already encountered it. The search string was, therefore, simply "windows 10 outlook 2007 hyperlinks wont open"
    Just one final (I hope) question.

Although RegEdit made the links work, now each one opens in a new window as opposed to a new tab.

The settings in IE are set to Open In A New Tab, and if I click a link inside a tab, the link does in fact open in a new tab.

But if I click several different links in a single email in Outlook, they all open in new, separate windows.

Is there a separate RegEdit entry that will fix this issue, or is it simply a setting somewhere inside Outlook . . . or a whole new mystery?

Thanks again for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessPolice View Post
    Just one final (I hope) question.

Although RegEdit made the links work, now each one opens in a new window as opposed to a new tab.

The settings in IE are set to Open In A New Tab, and if I click a link inside a tab, the link does in fact open in a new tab.

But if I click several different links in a single email in Outlook, they all open in new, separate windows.

Is there a separate RegEdit entry that will fix this issue, or is it simply a setting somewhere inside Outlook . . . or a whole new mystery?

Thanks again for your help.
    Use cmd /c start %1 instead of “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE” %1 in the same registry key:

Outlook keeps prompting me to select Internet Explorer to open links

(Also documented (occasionally) by Microsoft KB3094186 at You are prompted to specify Internet Explorer when you click a link in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-05-03 at 18:21.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool 'fail: Hyperlinks from Outlook 2007 using Windows 10'

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Use cmd /c start %1 instead of “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE” %1 in the same registry key:

Outlook keeps prompting me to select Internet Explorer to open links

(Also documented (occasionally) by Microsoft KB3094186 at You are prompted to specify Internet Explorer when you click a link in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007)
    Hey BruceR, another YooDaMan for you too. Solution works perfectly.

Thanks for your help. Happy Monday.