5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Advice on upgrading to Windows 10 Pro

I have a windows 7 pro 32-bit desktop computer thatís ready to be upgraded to windows 10 pro

Before I do so I want to download the Widows 10 ISO onto USB but Iím having a difficult time choosing between https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 & http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench
    I need recommendations on which one to consider.

NOTE: I donít want to use whichever selection I choose to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I just want the ISO or whatever else is installed onto the USB in case I need them sometime.

$Windows.~BT & $Windows.~WS are in drive C
    In Windows Update there is an Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 as an optional
    Iíve already created an MR system image backup of my Win7 OS
    So Iím good to go

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi ! My choice is!
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    Good decision to have a MR image. You still have a lot of time before you have to decide to upgrade to W10!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-01-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy
    $Windows.~BT & $Windows.~WS are in drive C
    In Windows Update there is an Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 as an optional
    It sounds like you may already have what you need to upgrade, stored in the $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS folders. If you also want a USB-based installer in case you need it sometime then you could always wait... there'll be new builds released at frequent intervals.

Once you've carried out the upgrade using the installer downloaded to $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS then your PC's eligibility and activation status will be stored online with Microsoft. If, in the future, you then wanted to do a clean install you could download the Media Creation Tool and create a USB-based installer with the latest Win 10 build at that point to save having to wait for an update to download if you use a current build.

I haven't seen anywhere whether there'll be something different after July 29, i.e. the end of the 'free Win 10 upgrade' entitlement period for eligible devices, so I'm going to create a fresh USB-based installer in the week before, just in case.

Hope this helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-01-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "I haven't seen anywhere whether there'll be something different after July 29, i.e. the end of the 'free Win 10 upgrade' entitlement period for eligible devices, so I'm going to create a fresh USB-based installer in the week before, just in case"
    Great tip, it does help: thanks