5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A deadline for obsolete IEs and Windows 8

PATCH WATCH

A deadline for obsolete IEs and Windows 8

By Susan Bradley

With the start of a new year, Microsoft is cleaning house of "obsolete" operating systems and browsers. If you're still on Windows 8.0, you need to update to Win8.1 to be fully supported. And for true browser protection, you need to be using the most current releases of Internet Explorer.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/a-deadline-for-obsolete-ies-and-windows-8/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Susan as always.

In addition to the updates listed, I've also been offered an old chestnut, KB2952664. My notes indicate that this was a Windows 10 nagware update from a few months back and was originally hidden. I shall consider it to be hidden again unless anyone knows different!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - I use Win7 SP1 x64 and very recently up graded IE9-->IE11. I had some problems that worked themselves out. However, the biggest problem was that I got sixty-some patches offered for installation, with many in the KB270nnnn range. I assume that these are patches that I would have picked along the way, had I updated IE sooner. My Windows Update is set on 'offer the patches and let me decide whether to download and install', which works pretty well if you are current, but not when a big batch spanning several years is dumped on you. It's very tedious to search through all the Patch Watch columns and decide what to install.

I accidentally stumbled onto a way to search the Win Secrets article archives and go immediately to past discussions on a particular KB#, which was Very convenient for choosing patches to install. I say stumbled because I could not reproduce this search and it would only work occasionally. I've tried to figure it out but no luck. I usually get something like "No information was found for this topic". I know there has to be a way to do this reproducibly, but I just haven't been able to find it.

Would someone please tell me the (Windows) Secret? All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeyton View Post
    I accidentally stumbled onto a way to search the Win Secrets article archives and go immediately to past discussions on a particular KB#, which was Very convenient for choosing patches to install. I say stumbled because I could not reproduce this search and it would only work occasionally. I've tried to figure it out but no luck. I usually get something like "No information was found for this topic". I know there has to be a way to do this reproducibly, but I just haven't been able to find it.

Would someone please tell me the (Windows) Secret? All help greatly appreciated.
    Search on the number only, without the KB. Because Susan Bradley inserts a space between KB and the number.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

gpeyton (2016-01-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, thanks, I figured that part out, but it is still intermittent.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Went back through the ones I had trouble with and it worked much better, causing me to assume that my problems were operator error.

Thanks again BruceR