New Lounger
    Thanks

Stop Office nagging me to download updates

I'm using Office 2013 on Windows 8 on my computer at work. Every single time I open a Word doc, Excel sheet, or Outlook, it tells me "updates are available, click here to apply updates". I do NOT want to update ANYTHING.

I don't care if you think it's risky, so please spare me the security lecture. Please don't tell me to just give in and let MS update it. I DON'T WANT TO. I have my reasons for this and I'm not interested in debating them.

I have already gone into Accounts -> Office Updates and disabled it.

I have already gone into the control panel and set Windows Update to Never check for updates. I un-ticked the boxes for "give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" and "give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows".

So.... I have tried to disable this behavior, yet I'm nagged to update every time I open an Office program.

Is there a registry key I can edit? I've gone to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Office / 15.0

and the closest keys that seem to have anything to do with this are under ClickToRun / Updates

Is there a key in here I should modify? I already tried changing UpdatesClient from 1 to 0 but that didn't solve the problem. I don't want to go experimenting in here too much as the keys don't exactly come with descriptions and my ass is grass if I screw something up and can't access Outlook.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by scottbomb; 2016-01-14 at 17:10.

Thanks
    Uninstall "Click to Run" from "Programs and Features".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Looks like you are using the Click to Run version of Office 2013. As you've found out, the Click to Run version's a bit of a law unto itself at times.

Follow the instructions in this office.com MSI vs Click To Run Office installations – How to switch article to download the MSI version. You'll need your Office 2013 Product Key to authenticate your eligibility. Once you have downloaded the MSI version, uninstall the Click to Run version from Control Panel > Programs and Features then install the MSI-based version instead.

Voilą! Should be no more update prompts 'cos the Office components aren't checking online each and every time you run one of them. If you don't want to check for any Office 2013 updates then your work is done. If you ever change your mind, just change Windows Update to Microsoft Update.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-01-14 at 19:27. Reason: Added more info

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Your description reads as though an update was downloaded before you disabled the updates and is ready to be installed. Sorry, but I don't know how to get rid of a click-to-run update ready to install. You may need to let the update install and then remove it. See Uninstall updates in Office 2013 'Click to Run' for instructions to remove click-to-run updates.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I solved all the BS problems with Office, quite simply.... I Uninstalled it.
    Then I downloaded and installed "Open Office" ... Open Office does everything I need in an office suite.
    That might be fine for those whose needs are simple and aren't interested in full compatibility with and functionality of the de-facto industry standard Office suite.
    installed "Open Office" and I've never been bugged again, for updates or to reinstall office because some file was missing.
    Other than the Click-to-Run setups, for which advice has already been given, MS Office never 'bugs' anyone to install updates and it would be rare for a reinstallation to be required 'because some file was missing' - in 99% or more cases of what is a relatively infrequent faulty Office installation a repair is the most that might be needed. Even Open Office isn't immune to faults or the need for updates...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-01-14),Trev (2016-01-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the info. everyone! I will see what I can do about switching to MSI. I use LibreOffice on my personal machines (which all run Kubuntu Linux). I wish I could use it at work but I need Outlook here. There are also some compatibility issues when editing a doc in Excel and then in Calc. LibreOffice is ALMOST 100% compatible, but not quite.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    That might be fine for those whose needs are simple and aren't interested in full compatibility with and functionality of the de-facto industry standard Office suite.

Other than the Click-to-Run setups, for which advice has already been given, MS Office never 'bugs' anyone to install updates and it would be rare for a re-installation to be required 'because some file was missing' - in 99% or more cases of what is a relatively infrequent faulty Office installation a repair is the most that might be needed. Even Open Office isn't immune to faults or the need for updates...
    Maybe in Australia, but certainly NOT here! I guess MS Office works better upside down. lol
    But honestly Office 2007 was driving me crazy till I just got tired of the BS and deleted it.
    No more problems.
    What compatibility are you talking about? I run Excel spreadsheets in Open Office and save them with the original extensions and never have any problems. Likewise .doc and .docx files..... never a problem.

A customer of mine was having problems with MS Word, refusing to open documents that she was receiving via email. I installed Open Office for her and it opens all the files she receives via email.
    No more problems.

Cheers Mate!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Being a company computer, I'm very hesitant to try to convert it to an "MSI" version. I think I may have solved the problem, though I'm not sure what I did right. I did experiment with some values in the registry. The pics below show what it looks like now at \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0 \ClickToRun\Updates.

As for LibreOffice compatibility, I probably misspoke. What I should have said is that I find it much easier to build charts and sort data with Excel than with Calc.

registry.JPG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho
    What compatibility are you talking about? I run Excel spreadsheets in Open Office and save them with the original extensions and never have any problems. Likewise .doc and .docx files..... never a problem.
    It sounds like neither you nor your customers have ever had to deal with, for example, macro-enabled Office files.

Whilst I really like LibreOffice (rather than OpenOffice... 'cos its development has apparently been throttled or stopped), there are some things it just isn't yet able to handle.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbomb
    Being a company computer, I'm very hesitant to try to convert it to an "MSI" version.
    My apologies... I missed the fact that this was a company computer. Do you not have a company-wide IT dept. to field these issues?

Thanks
    Maybe in Australia, but certainly NOT here! I guess MS Office works better upside down. lol
    But honestly Office 2007 was driving me crazy till I just got tired of the BS and deleted it.
    No more problems.

A customer of mine was having problems with MS Word, refusing to open documents that she was receiving via email. I installed Open Office for her and it opens all the files she receives via email.
    No more problems.

Cheers Mate!

I'm in the US, not Australia, and I have found that Powerpoint 2007 files aren't fully compatible with the Libre Office equivalent program.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Evidently, you've never used Office for any serious work. If you want o know how limited the acclaimed 'compatibility' is, see, for example:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-5efb57aebfdc
    https://support.office.com/en-gb/art...d-5ecc35deb138
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...1-a5c3f58d125f

In terms of compatibility with Word, for example, ODT files don't support content controls, active-x controls, macros, anything but the most basic fields, Track Changes, document protection, and on and on. Then there's all the Word features that are only 'partially supported'. One may as well use WordPad...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]